Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Instruction, any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2011, 11:37 AM
V555MAC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Instruction, any advice??

Hi all, just wondered if anybody could recommend a comprehensive driving instruction book. I can't really afford to go on a driving course by the likes of John Lyons etc, but am interested in improving my driving.

I have been driving for 20 years now, and have ridden motorbikes (ZX6r, R1 etc), and have owned some pretty nice cars ( ur-quattro, RS1600i, Alpina C2 and my Impreza). I've been on quite a few trackdays and have always been in the faster groups, I can heel and toe and double de-clutch, but I would like to improve my driving skills. I've been on a Brands Hatch driving experience, and was told I had a nice smooth driving style and I set the fastest lap of the day!, but I think there's always room for improvement though

Any help advice would be greatly recieved!!
Old 08 February 2011, 12:37 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V555MAC
Hi all, just wondered if anybody could recommend a comprehensive driving instruction book. I can't really afford to go on a driving course by the likes of John Lyons etc, but am interested in improving my driving.

I have been driving for 20 years now, and have ridden motorbikes (ZX6r, R1 etc), and have owned some pretty nice cars ( ur-quattro, RS1600i, Alpina C2 and my Impreza). I've been on quite a few trackdays and have always been in the faster groups, I can heel and toe and double de-clutch, but I would like to improve my driving skills. I've been on a Brands Hatch driving experience, and was told I had a nice smooth driving style and I set the fastest lap of the day!, but I think there's always room for improvement though

Any help advice would be greatly recieved!!
Depends on what you want to achieve really? My knowledge of John Lyons is that he is mainly roadcraft based, in fact I'm not sure he still teaches??

*edit* I found this thread, one I read ages ago;

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/fo...t=2611&p=49787

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 08 February 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08 February 2011, 12:54 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Best book I've ever read about racing driving is Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional...7169582&sr=8-1). It's quite technical in parts but I felt it gave me a good understanding of not just the how but the why.
Old 08 February 2011, 01:08 PM
V555MAC
Scooby Regular

Just like to broaden my understanding of driving, and be a safer driver on and off the track. Be nice to know I'm getting the most out of my car and driving it in a efficient manner
Old 08 February 2011, 01:23 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Roadcraft - Police Drivers Handbook is a good bet for road driving, and you can usually find in Waterstones etc.

Not sure about track/race techniques though.

Cheers
Old 08 February 2011, 01:35 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V555MAC
Just like to broaden my understanding of driving, and be a safer driver on and off the track. Be nice to know I'm getting the most out of my car and driving it in a efficient manner
I think one of the problems is people often want to be brilliant drivers on the track, and it sounds like you are but forget that driving on the road efficiently and safely is quite different.

I know that sounds patronising, it's not meant to. I'm just not sure how to word it If you are looking at people like John Lyons who uses Roadcraft you won't go far wrong with people like who offer DVD's you can watch at home;

http://www.driving4tomorrow.com/

He offers DVD's and is running driving days this year which would be good. It would however be very different to track skills, steering, braking etc is different. I guess you could look at the RoSPA or IAM course as a starting point and cherry pick what you want from these courses. They are cheap and give an insight into how you can start using what's in the Roadcraft manual, rather than just buying the book. Both courses are much cheaper than any driving day.

Where are you based in Scotland?

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 08 February 2011 at 01:39 PM.