ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Serious post. Stopped on the M25.

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2001, 11:12 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Got stopped last night on the M25 by a marked Volvo after adhering to the variable speed limit and then moving into the middle lane when I got cut up by a Vauxhall Astra.
Anyway, the reason I was stopped was because of my number plate having been "disfigured" with a Scooby located centrally and distorting one of the characters.
They checked everything about the car including checking Chassis and VIN number.
I now have fourteen days to get a new plate, go to an MOT centre, get the form they gave me stamped and send it back to the Police. Otherwise I will have to appear in court and suffer the consequences.
I was not given an on the spot £30 fine.

NOW THE IMPORTANT BIT ...
There are many many Subaru's disappearing in the Surrey area which contributed to my tug. Some of these have been car-jackings. I asked about peoples homes being entered but don't think this is the case yet.
I also said I thought this was happening in the Midlands. Well their moving further south now.
If your car isn't secure. Make it so. Forget the Rottweiler, baseball bat with a nail in etc and get the best LEGAL protection you can for your car.
Old 20 March 2001, 11:42 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Ian

Let me know if you need a new plate, I can also stamp the MOT thing for you.

David
Old 20 March 2001, 11:59 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Shark

You have mail ...

Old 20 March 2001, 01:01 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shark:
<B>Let me know if you need a new plate, I can also stamp the MOT thing for you.[/quote]

Dave, presumably, when the new Number Plate regs come in, you will be certified to make and sell Reg plates? (legal ones of course!)

Ta,

Matt.
Old 20 March 2001, 02:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yup, I got stopped the other day, but asked politely to get a full size plate (mine is only a slightly smaller usually the sort you see on Elises). Fortunately didnt get the full treatment Bajie got. Fair cop all in all.

Anyway, think that annoyed me, was later on in the same day I saw a Police man driving toward Bassingstoke on the A340 reading a newspaper or similar which was rested on the steering wheel... Good advert for them I thought
Old 20 March 2001, 03:52 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Matt

We have just faxed our order for the new spec on the logos on the bottom of or plates.

When the new regs come in we will still be making plates.

Ian - let me know what style plates you want, plain, our logo etc.

David

[This message has been edited by Shark (edited 20 March 2001).]
Old 20 March 2001, 08:07 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

A couple of weeks ago there was a NIB in Auto Express about a guy from Navan in Ireland who clung to the rear spoiler of his Scooby at speeds of up to 100mph for 10 mins as a thief, posing as a potential buyer, tried to steal it. The owner escaped with bruises and the thief fled on foot.

So do take care out there.
Old 20 March 2001, 09:06 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

shark, can u mail me details of your plates please.
Old 20 March 2001, 09:24 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just a quick point:- I believe from september this year all makers of number plates have to adhere to the new font and spacing requirements. They also have to print their postcode on the plate for tracing or face very big fines. So this may mean the end of inventive spacing or smaller front plates for us Impreza drivers wishing to see our car's big mouth!
lol
matthew
Old 20 March 2001, 10:10 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the tip Bajie. This was happening a few months ago. I got pulled on my way to Heathrow early one morning (catching the first flight out to Dublin). Policeman who stopped me said that Impreza's were being targeted and they were checking all they could find - especially ones being driven at unusual times (like very early in the morning...).

So it looks like it has started again. Time to take a few reasonable precautions - keep your doors locked and windows up (especially in towns), vary your routes to and from work and vary the times that you leave. This may sound a bit paranoid, but I think it is only sensible. My company has also been warned about car-jacking incidents in Slough recently (targets have been new cars (obvious co. car drivers etc) and 'sports' cars).

Chris
Old 20 March 2001, 11:38 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Worth noting that decent alarms (I've got a Thatcham Toad)can be setup to lock all car doors within a set time of starting the car and then unlock the doors the minute you turn the ignition off.... saves you even thinking about locking your door at least.

Old 21 March 2001, 12:30 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tony Q - I'd imagine they heard you coming down the M4, before they spotted you in Slough itself

I've gotta get a new plate sorted this weekend
Old 21 March 2001, 06:12 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

You ain't going to get far in Slough if you're driving a stolen Scooby. I've been pulled on 3 of my last 4 visits.
Old 21 March 2001, 09:36 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Rob

I think it is changing to the 'European standard' - year of manufacture, location and something else (which I've forgotton) - have a look at the number plates on (Southern) Irish cars and you'll see what I mean. Not sure when it comes in though.

Tony - never (yet) been pulled driving into Slough - what did you do to deserve their attention?

Chris
Old 21 March 2001, 11:40 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Tony,

I unfortunately live in Slough, and in 3 and 1/2 years have never been stopped (well 1 year with the Scoob). It's not that bad.....he says nervously!

Me thinks that my email address is about to change !!

Jamie
Old 21 March 2001, 12:14 PM
golders
Scooby Regular

Cool

Does anyone know what the new Registerations will be like as Y-reg is the last of this lot. Is there a new system coming into place or is it back to A-reg again?

Does anyone have inside info?

Please email me: rob@crier.co.uk

Thanks,

Rob
Old 21 March 2001, 03:45 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Cool

I know I only have the 5 characters on my number plate which helps the size, but if you make up some spacers to go to the existing mounting points you can move your number plate forwards and up as in this picture. It helps airflow into the rad, looks good and is legal!

[This message has been edited by Stuart Knight (edited 21 March 2001).]