Sponsored by:

Impreza UK 2000 vs Leon Cupra vs Saab 9-5 HOT Aero

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2011, 12:50 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza UK 2000 vs Leon Cupra vs Saab 9-5 HOT Aero

Any Cupra 1.8t owners ever owned/driven an impreza Turbo 2000 or a saab 9-5 HOT aero (250bhp) before?

These were my last 2 cars, and were dire on the mpg...of course the impreza mroe than made up for that, but the saab was an auto and was just soooo boring, but probably worse on the juice than the impreza!

anyway, I sold the impreza, and bought the saab, which has been recently written off, and I'm considering options between cupra petrol and diesels.

There seems to be much more choice out there in terms of buying a 1,8t petrol, whereas I can't find as many of the tdi 150 available with my desired mileage/service history and for the price I want to pay (£4k).

Most of my regular journeys are short, round the doors, starts/stops etc - how bad would this be long term for a diesel engine? And how would the real world mpg of a petrol compare to the likes of my impreza/saab. The saab computer reckoned I was getting 15.6 mpg and cost me about £70 to fill up. The impreza I never worked out mpg, but cost me about £58-£60 to fill up and did about 200-220 miles.

I'm particularly interested in real world miles to the tank full and how much it costs to fill up...I appreciate this really isn't a very accurate way of doing it compared to MPG, but my brains really used to how much it costs to fill up and how many miles driving roudn the doors I can get...

And thoughts/advice please?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26 January 2011, 02:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

With fuel as it is, I'd now be looking at a Leon or Ibiza hot diesel.
Old 26 January 2011, 02:44 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that's what's prompted me to consider them...I like the ibizas, but are they all 3 doors? It'd be a real pain since I regularly have to lug around amplifiers, guitars, speakers and other random band gear, but I just can't find any quick estates that I like other than:

scoob
foz
volvo V70 T5 / R

All of which are gonna be to much to run...hence why considering a hot diesel hatch as can fold the seats down and pile the stuff up, somethign I couldn't ever really do well with the scoob being a saloon.

Last edited by nerocircus; 26 January 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 26 January 2011, 02:45 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesel engines get "coked" up if not ran over a distance now and then. Modern diesels are fine, but still do need the cobwebs blowing out once every now and then. My mate has a Cupra, does around 25mpg combined cycle. Your old Impreza would have been around 22 - 25 mpg, thats the common theme i.e. low 20's/

To my mind the added cost of buying a used diesel car coupled to the higher fuel costs will not yield a substantial enough financial gain to be considered. You will need to buy a lot of fuel to make up for another grand to buy the same model car with a diesel lump.

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 26 January 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26 January 2011, 06:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But ARE they so much dearer to by, used? I've not noticed it.

And a decent one will get 50+ mpg against <25 in the Scoob.
Old 26 January 2011, 06:50 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

alcazar I'm leaning towards you on this...yes I'll have to spend a bit more initially to get a decent mileage/service history TDI, and even if it takes a year to make up the difference 've spent, then after that, as you say, it's 50+ over sub 25 all the way...

and to be honest, the initial outlay might be noticeable at first, but it's only a one off for a big purchase, whereas filling up the tank twice as often, almost literally, will be painful over and over again lol

Considering buying a sub £500 run around for a couple months until I can afford to put another grand towards one...seems to be lots more decent options for around hte £5k mark from what I've seen so far.