Sponsored by:

Removing Window Tints

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2011, 08:03 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Window Tints

Got my wagon with stupid dark tints on and I really don't like them. It's even on the rear window! I know I am going to have to replace the rear screen because I'll ruin the heater wires but is there an easy way to remove the tints from the rear door glass and the small rear glass?

Thanks.
Old 25 January 2011, 08:10 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

A hair drier may help but keep it on a low setting
Old 25 January 2011, 08:25 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Its a ******* to get off good luck m8 as said hair dryer or heat gun then a blade ie stanley blade to remove the glue or tar and glue remover autoglym 1 is decent m8
Old 25 January 2011, 08:54 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Heat gun will do it, once you get the glue tacky they come off fairly easy
Old 25 January 2011, 09:17 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hot soapy water is also a messy option, works ok but its elbow grease and that alone..
Old 25 January 2011, 10:03 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads, hair dryer it is then
Old 25 January 2011, 10:06 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

In terms of the rear window, depends how professionally they have been applied. If its been a DIY job, then chances are its just one sheet over the whole window, and the rear window demist will be knackered if you peel it off. But some professional companies actually cut the tint in to strips to stick in between the heater lines (to prevent accidental bubbling of the tint when the demist is turned on). You might be lucky...
Old 25 January 2011, 11:23 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Loco
In terms of the rear window, depends how professionally they have been applied. If its been a DIY job, then chances are its just one sheet over the whole window, and the rear window demist will be knackered if you peel it off. But some professional companies actually cut the tint in to strips to stick in between the heater lines (to prevent accidental bubbling of the tint when the demist is turned on). You might be lucky...

i have never known anywhere to do a rear screen in strips?

as mentioned, it can be done, if good quality tint was applied, it all depends on when and what was used.

i pealed an whole sheet off my front window before in one good, using a credit card to apply pressure on the edge when i was pealing. it was a hot summers day, so i recon leave your car running for a while with the heaters on full, aimed at the windows might help.

your just left with the sticky glue substance, im sure a good thinners or something would help, im sure youll find something at a car spares shop, or paint shop.

if your near essex, theres a guy that i know that does it, and he offers a removal service.
Old 26 January 2011, 07:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Glynmitch
Got my wagon with stupid dark tints on and I really don't like them. It's even on the rear window! I know I am going to have to replace the rear screen because I'll ruin the heater wires but is there an easy way to remove the tints from the rear door glass and the small rear glass?

Thanks.
What model is it?
My type R for instance has dark rear glass from the factory, if your car is a jdm then it may be factory fitted glass and you wont be able to do anything but replace it.

Tony
Old 26 January 2011, 09:15 AM
domino555
Scooby Regular

Use rubbing alcohol to get the glue off, makes it alot easier
Old 26 January 2011, 09:36 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

i am attempting to get my hideous tints off tomorrow
glad someone has the same problem as me! i have a 53c blue scoob & the previous owner or one before that has put horrible light blue tints in that fade to black as it goes up - it looks horrible (in my opinion!)

so hairdryer it is with some rubbing alcohol
Old 26 January 2011, 01:26 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Mine is a 96 WRX wagon import so nothing special about it. The rear screen has been done with one piece of film and already has a couple of holes in the film so I'm hoping it will come off relatively easily.
Old 26 January 2011, 02:47 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peel off the tint, then using warm soapy water, in a spray bottle, spray the window and rub off using a plastic credit card! That way won't damage the heater elements Stanley blade on the other windows. Finished with some glass polish (ie autoglym or similar)
Old 26 January 2011, 06:47 PM
stonk
Scooby Regular

the glue that is let behind is or can be a bitch to remove i took some of once it depends on how long thay have been on . my mate whos a valeter got me some bostick remover its what they use to remove the glue left behind when taking decals off cars vans etc and belive me the stuff flys off. in fact it takes any thing off and dont damage any paint work. you can get it from branches of smart car valeters .
Old 27 January 2011, 10:35 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

i did the 2 rear door windows & the tints are off, easy to get the tint off but the 1st window, it left all the glue as i just thought it had come off easy so had to get a stanley blade & used some rubbing alcohol & after half hour it was off
other side i used the hair dryer at the same time as peeling it slowly away & it came off with the glue in one go so that only took 10 mins of heat & peeling slowly - much better now the non matching blue tints are out!

just the back window to do

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 27 January 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 19 March 2011, 06:31 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Finally got the time to remove my god awful black window tints from the rear 5 windows. Used a hairdryer to warm them up and they peeled off easily then used petrol on a rag to remove the glue. Not the best thing to use but it's what I had at the time. Then I washed the insides of the windows with hot soapy water. Looks much better and less chavy.