Car issues

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2011, 06:46 AM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car issues

Hi guy's,

I am having a few issues with my 52 bugeye and wondered if you could help, 1) I am getting ice on the inside of the windscreen during cold weather, after reading another thread i have come to the conclusion that it is a faulty seal on the windscreen, i have checked the door seals and also for dampness on carpets etc but cant feel anything, would my conclusion be correct?

2) in cold weather i get a screeching noise for about 10 seconds when the car is started, not sure which belt it is but the blowers in the car increase in power when the screeching stops, any ideas?

3) again during cold weather (god i hate winter) there is a strong smell of petrol in the car, this soon disappears once the car is in motion and i just wondered if this was normal?

thanks for listening

Gary
Old 20 January 2011, 07:28 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Difficult to give a definitive answer re: the ice as the water which forms that ice could be condensation which has formed on the cold surface of the glass having evaporated from elsewhere in the car.

The screeching noise would on its own initially suggests a belt as you have said but in conjunction with reduced output from your blowers tends to flag up the possibility of the actual fan which drives the blowers making the noise, especially in light of the further information that the blowers perform better once that noise has ceased. It could be the alternator belt slipping and the blower livening up by virtue of the fact that the car is able to generate more current into the battery circuit once the slipping has stopped.

There is a petrol smell issue with some cars though I'm not certain the exact models that applies to, but I believe it's a hose issue and recall reading of that problem at least a couple of times here. I'm sure someone will know about it here as it wasn't that long ago and seemed from what I recall to be a fairly common issue.

regards

Tim

Last edited by awdx4; 20 January 2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 20 January 2011, 09:04 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Yep - dodgy screen seal - more than likely been replaced in the past, and not a 100% seal. We still have this in a 2 yr old VW Touran - hve to scrape the screen inside and out !

Yep - slipping belt sound s spot on .

Petrol - get a pro to check all your hoses - better safe than sorry : )

I loved my old bug eye - super cars justa bit ugly - no offense.

A
Old 20 January 2011, 12:25 PM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apostle
I loved my old bug eye - super cars justa bit ugly - no offense.

A

Will take it to my local friendly garage and see what the experts have to say. Does anyone know if the windscreen seals are damaged whether it is covered by insurance or is that just for chips?

Last edited by gazza0175; 20 January 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 20 January 2011, 01:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ice inside: First, check for damp ANYWHERE in the car, boot, mats, carpets, spare wheel well, down where the jack is, etc.
IF you find any, that's your culprit and you'll have problems until you stop the leak and dry it out. In this weather, the warmer days evaporates the damp, then the cooler night condenses it onto the coolest surfaces, glass and any exposed metal, and in really cold weather, it freezes.
If it's mats or carpets from getting in with wet/snowy feet, remove mats and dry indoors, drive car with heater on full towards carpets, once it's hot, open windows wide for one minute, repeat. This will dry out the carpets for you. Then replace mats.
If you have aircon, run the car with it ON, it dries the air too. Also check that the air intake control is set to let fresh air in, NOT on recirculate.

If it's in the boot, do a search for water in boot. Tons of threads. And advice.

If it's the FRONT screen seal, the front carpets will likely be wet. As above, but a decent windscreen place would remove and reseal the screen for a few £££, they can see if it's gone once the trim is off Yep, been there.

BUT: if front carpets ARE wet, taste the water. Yep, I'm serious. If it's sweet-ish, your heater matrix may have gone.

I've also had my REAR screen seal go As above, but the wet was parcel shelf, rear seat back, and in the boot. TINY pinhole, but water p*ssed in

Screeching belt: Since you mention an increase in heater speeds when the screeching stops, it's almost 100% alternator belt. Easy to tighten A BIT AT A TIME, but if it's been doing it a while, I'd replace the belt too

Last edited by alcazar; 20 January 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 20 January 2011, 01:55 PM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

I spoke to a very nice chap at autoglass, they do a free check which is good, on the subject of if im covered on insurance he said check with them, spoke to directline who advised me to check with autoglass
Old 20 January 2011, 02:03 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

i get ice in my classic but it only happens when it is really cold and i have been out for a while and is roasting in the car, so condensation develops then frezzes over, i too had all window and glass seals checked too

Trending Topics

Old 20 January 2011, 02:07 PM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P600wrx
i get ice in my classic but it only happens when it is really cold and i have been out for a while and is roasting in the car, so condensation develops then frezzes over, i too had all window and glass seals checked too
He did say it has been quite common recently
Old 22 January 2011, 10:51 PM
gazza0175
Scooby Regular

yet another problem, my brakes squeal but only when im braking in reverse, any ideas?
Old 23 January 2011, 09:58 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

The brake squeal could be down to a number of things. If it were mine I'd be having the wheels off, one corner at a time and removing the pads and shims, firstly to make sure the shims are all correctly installed. I'd check the pads to make sure there is no debris which has gotten in anywhere and see how the pistons look, before thoroughly cleaning all components and applying copper grease to the surface between pad and shim prior to reassembly. You don't mention any other factor which might have a bearing on this squeal, I.E. recent pad change or if any of the discs are lipped so providing all the parts are functionally correct, and the shims are in their correct places, a very basic overhaul will most likely resolve the problem.

Tim