Thinking of a Forester S/TB

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2011, 05:01 PM
QuickNick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of a Forester S/TB

Hi Guys,

Have been offered a Forester and it is a very sweet car, apparently it has the 250bhp spec as it is an import.

Its manual, top spec with the usual electrics and a/c etc, but having never driven one (normally an impreza man) wondered what the general consensus is on this car.

Things I am considering are insurance costs, fuel and running and potential issues selling it on as it is a 96 (P) with 116,000km on the clock.

Any thoughts very welcome!
Old 06 January 2011, 05:15 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

I owned a forester XT for three years and couldn't fault the car for what it was. Only real issues were that the rear end seemed to want to step out when driven hard around corners in the wet. Probably something I could have sorted with a bit of work on the suspension, but as I also drove the car regularly across ploughed fields and carried a lot of fishing gear in it, the compromise with the handling was fine for me. The other down side was, the desire to be an Impreza owner, every time I saw one. Good car though, served me well.

Tim
Old 06 January 2011, 06:06 PM
QuickNick
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tim,

I have to admit that it sounds right up my street at the moment, owned a little Starlet GT for 7 years now but due to recent engagement I need something a tad more practical, but these things are so affordable now, I could keep the Starlet for fun days!

You mention yours was the XT, should I be looking for one of those or will an STP Grey be quicker/more difficult to insure etc? Any ideas?
Old 06 January 2011, 06:28 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

My XT was group 18 so cheaper to insure than my current whim, I'm not sure how the one you mention is grouped, might be worth looking on autotrader at similar models as the info pages generally have the groupings which are not usually too far adrift. The 250bhp figure you mention for the car will probably have it coming in a group higher than a standard XT, but then it's an older vehicle so best to go compare or similar to get a feel. I use a company vehicle all week and only use my car at weekends, or I'd have kept the Forester, and I still have a hankering after picking an old turbo version up to use for what they do very well. They are very practical and certainly surprise the chavs in their shoe boxes, when they get left in the dust. To reiterate, check out the versions on the trader site and look at the spec vs insurance groupings. A well sorted XT is a quick, good size estate car, still missing being able to cart the massive payload I could carry in mine.

Tim
Old 06 January 2011, 07:28 PM
legacydan
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Foresters are great, I've got a 96/P in black that's had a very large ammount of money spent on it. Fully forged cdb with 5000 miles since being freshly built & running @ 308bhp @ 1.4bar on a vf24 with APS intake & gizmo boost controller. Got 4 pots, braided lines etc & it goes very well. I'm also selling her as can't afford to run a business & a van

You can't go wrong with them as they are so comfy.
Old 06 January 2011, 08:51 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

i use a My99 stb type - A for work but it costs the same as an impreza to run
Old 07 January 2011, 08:38 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

I'd have a look at the Subaru Forester Forums Mate, http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/

I have a 96 s/tb, had it for 5 years and a few subtle mods will have it giving you as much fun as an impreza. I noticed AWDx4 had said the back end wanted to step out (the SG (ie XT) is a bit different to the SF (S/tb or S-turbo) but this is nothing that a few stiffer anti roll bars and sub frame locking bolts wont sort out.

Impreza suspension fits right on and will make it handle better again.

Be wary of the Auto, while they are great to drive they are un-mappable.

Also be aware that the power figures are given for Japanese 100 ron fuel so probably now 250bhp, however a few engine mods will soon sort that out. Mines running around 280bhp.

Fitting an switchable boost controller will help fuel consumption,and insurance is reasonable when compared to an impreza. I'm paying £450 all in.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2011, 12:34 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

I have had one for 6 months or so now, great car but it has no more leg room if not less then my previous imprezas, the boot is not really any noticeable difference compared to a wagon and the handeling is worse but saying that it is a cracking car. I have 2000 stb auto full leather and electric everything just wish it had the heated seats.

They are not imprezas and can feel boaty when cornering mine has newage sti suspension and 4 pots brakes, as said this can be sorted out with anti roll bars etc. They are no cheaper to run or replace parts then and impreza although I insure mine for £400 a year I think, not to sure how much cheaper that would be to a similar year wrx bu would guess I pay less.

Go for a test drive and see what you think, it supprised me hence why I bought it for a run around / work horse but an impreza they are not!
Old 07 January 2011, 08:54 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

mine handles like a dream but i do have forester STI setup it corners as good as my STI impreza and it's quicker than a classic uk spec car.
no issues with legroom either my son drives it comfortably and he is 6ft 3"
Here is a pic

Name:  26062010210.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  123.4 KB
Old 21 January 2011, 07:42 PM
newdave
Former Sponsor

did you get the foz then, if so put some pic's up