ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Re-map Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2011, 04:49 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-map Question?

I am looking to change the car in the next few months and have been considering a Spec D. However, another option has sprung to mind looking at the price on some of the WRX SL's on the market. I am really after more of a sleeper but with decent performance - I know the STi is sharper but humour me on this for a second!

What could I expect from an Ecutek re-map on the Hawkeye 2.5 WRX? Any other considerations?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05 January 2011, 04:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

An engine that went bang unless you strengthen it?
Old 05 January 2011, 04:56 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Blimey - didn't realise the 2.5l engine was so pants? Looks like I'll stick to the original plan and go STi again.

Just out of interest, why was the 2.0l WRX engine mappable and not the 2.5l?
Old 05 January 2011, 04:57 PM
EmzWRX
Scooby Regular

I am running 350BHP in a 2.5 WRX, and have done for nearly a year.......no bangs....apart from the pops and bangs Duncan put on it ........
Old 05 January 2011, 04:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They are all mappable, but the 2.5 has inherently weak parts, especially pistons, which it can pick up alarmingly.

When I modded mine for a 2.5 I was told to budget for ACL bearings and forged pistons as a minimum, with forged rods if I could afford it.

There'll be a few on later telling you to go ahead, it's OK, mine runs fine etc.

Before doing anything I'd read the sticky on 2.5 failures
Old 05 January 2011, 05:00 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

My 2.5L 06 WRX was mapped by Andy Forest and he also make the existing turbo more effiecent.

All looks standard too!
The result was superb.
310 BHP and 360lbs torque really nice to drive in real world conditions.

The car was previously a PPP equiped car so had a Prodrive backbox and uprated intercooler pipe.
I put a K+N in prior to the re-map.

As well as improving cross country speed I could also achieve 30mpg on motorway run if driven at sensible 80mph.
I found that it was such a relaxing yet fast car that a drive that on country road meant you could be doing 100mph too easily!

Check out his web site and do some searches on here.

A modified car always has more chance of risk, and running costs tend to be higher to offset the risks.
The Spec D is also a great car!

Last edited by aggs; 05 January 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06 January 2011, 12:12 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by WRX Blues
I am looking to change the car in the next few months and have been considering a Spec D. However, another option has sprung to mind looking at the price on some of the WRX SL's on the market. I am really after more of a sleeper but with decent performance - I know the STi is sharper but humour me on this for a second!

What could I expect from an Ecutek re-map on the Hawkeye 2.5 WRX? Any other considerations?

Thanks for your help.
STi everytime. Although to run any more than circa 1.3 bar of boost, you'll need proper pistons in there

Bob Rawle remapped my STi PPP to 348bhp and 380ft lbs torque with just the PPP bits; turbo kicked in just like a TD04 on a 2 litre; makes for a very quick real world car.

Having mine uprated now though so I can join the 450bhp club
Old 06 January 2011, 11:19 AM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 failures are more on the hatches than the Hawkeye...also how you drive it as all the torque is at mid revs etc...
Old 06 January 2011, 12:10 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
They are all mappable, but the 2.5 has inherently weak parts, especially pistons, which it can pick up alarmingly.

When I modded mine for a 2.5 I was told to budget for ACL bearings and forged pistons as a minimum, with forged rods if I could afford it.

There'll be a few on later telling you to go ahead, it's OK, mine runs fine etc.

Before doing anything I'd read the sticky on 2.5 failures
There are few that would have you believe that 50% of them go bang or that they are incredibly weak. They arent, they just need mapping slightly differently to the 2.0.

As said on another thread where an engine seller was seemingly trying to sell forged components to everyone with a 2.5 that even remotely wants to get more power out of it... I have never seen an issue on a 2.5 wrx or sti that is mapped considerately.

The 2.5 wrx with the standard turbo is really limited by that turbo - it is far too small. With just a turbo/tmic change and they will cope with 350bhp with no issues whatsoever. Without the turbo change and you are looking at a perky performance but still netting the normal 270-290bhp that the 2.0L wrx's make with the right choice of exhausts etc.

The 2.5 failures thread is entirely hatch related and is an issue with the ecu and the standard subaru map IMO.
Old 06 January 2011, 01:16 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
There are few that would have you believe that 50% of them go bang or that they are incredibly weak. They arent, they just need mapping slightly differently to the 2.0.

As said on another thread where an engine seller was seemingly trying to sell forged components to everyone with a 2.5 that even remotely wants to get more power out of it... I have never seen an issue on a 2.5 wrx or sti that is mapped considerately.

The 2.5 wrx with the standard turbo is really limited by that turbo - it is far too small. With just a turbo/tmic change and they will cope with 350bhp with no issues whatsoever. Without the turbo change and you are looking at a perky performance but still netting the normal 270-290bhp that the 2.0L wrx's make with the right choice of exhausts etc.

The 2.5 failures thread is entirely hatch related and is an issue with the ecu and the standard subaru map IMO.