Sponsored by:

LPG and turbo Imprezas?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2010, 04:59 PM
Catalunya21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG and turbo Imprezas?

I am feeling the need for another Impreza after selling Catalunya 21 about a year ago (did the new owner register on here?).
However, I do a fair few miles now and could do with reasonable economy.
I don't want a Ford Focus
Does anyone run their Impreza on LPG and what advice could people give?
Before anyone says it, I am aware that performance will go down to a certain extent!
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Old 31 December 2010, 05:10 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know mechanically what can happen, but i test drove a blob on LPG....difference to me was not noticable at all, however it did sound very lumpy (more than usual), hence backed away from it.
Old 31 December 2010, 06:30 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi matey i have Subaru WRX with LPG and drive awesome(on dyno you will loose 10%,but worth every penny).
I will sell mine LPG kit at this time,because i'm going for bigger power and LPG will be useless.
If you are interested,PM me and i know garage who can fit this for you(is LPGA Approved LPG Autogas Installers)
Old 01 January 2011, 01:17 AM
Taffy223
Scooby Regular

I'm interested....is this a single use system or can you swap easily between the lpg and normal petrol ?
Old 01 January 2011, 01:27 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

You can swap between LPG or Petrol easily with one button.If you want run on Petrol you are just press button and you are running on petrol,full tank of LPG cost around 28-30£(42L) and with this you will make around 240-280 miles.
Old 01 January 2011, 01:39 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I remember going to a dyno day a year or so back, when this clio 192 pulls on (with an LPG conversion) and the 192 did better on dyno running on LPG then it did on petrol....
Old 01 January 2011, 01:49 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

My JDM Subaru WRX 4eat(at this time standard) make on LPG on dyno 210BHP,on petrol make 237BHP,after tweaking map for LPG make around 230BHP on LPG.

Jura
Old 01 January 2011, 02:18 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

I had a Forester S-Turbo with LPG, during the first week of ownership cylinder no. 3 exhaust valve gave up resulting in a £1200 garage bill.

All due to the LPG.

If you use LPG, make sure you use Flashlube or equivalent.
Old 01 January 2011, 02:58 PM
Catalunya21
Scooby Regular

Jura 11 pm sent.
DoZZa, it's early days in my digging around for info on LPG, so 'Flashlube' is new to me. Pardon my thickness, but is it an additive to add to the petrol?
I'm now trying to get my head around costs of additives with fuel, lpg setup purchase and install, potential for engine wear and/or damage and whether the daily running costs would be reduced enough from a standard Impreza to make it worth my effort to return to the marque. I'm hoping someone will say yes!
Old 01 January 2011, 03:47 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Catalunya21
Jura 11 pm sent.
DoZZa, it's early days in my digging around for info on LPG, so 'Flashlube' is new to me. Pardon my thickness, but is it an additive to add to the petrol?
I'm now trying to get my head around costs of additives with fuel, lpg setup purchase and install, potential for engine wear and/or damage and whether the daily running costs would be reduced enough from a standard Impreza to make it worth my effort to return to the marque. I'm hoping someone will say yes!
Hi there Flash lube kit for protection of Valves etc.,because LPG is very dry and if you don't have fitted Flash Lube kit will damage valves,this kit is cheap but for Turbo cars is must.I have fitted Flash Lube Kit,and this will be included....
PM replied.

Last edited by jura11; 01 January 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01 January 2011, 05:11 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

i'm curious how much does a LPG conversion cost approx?
Old 05 January 2011, 05:17 PM
fawor
BANNED

Hi.
I have LPG conversion on my wrx 03 ppp .done in august.
after when i win auction on ebay im thinking 2weeks do it or not.
I never saw boxer engine with turbo on lpg.
It was experiment and it works.
it takes 3 litres more lpg then petrol on 100miles. power is noticeable down about 26bhp, a "kick" is around 700/min later then on petrol.on normal daily driving You dont feel it, No You feel it in pocket switch on petrol during one second or less if You need power in full.
I have 60l cylinder on my.Only one little problem,engine menagment light is on sometimes.
Its happend 2ice during 5 months. engine have to much air or to less lpg when cruising.
first itme 50miles/h 15min period and is on.
second fast driving around 60miles/h on roundabound-straight ,some lady drove from left hand side.breaking- take off side line,im driving around roundabound, push 3rd gear and the same to much air/to less lpg light is on.
I check it via Vag cable and reset Ecu with Learning View.nothing major.

I win auction on ebay for 720 (normal price 900). Company name LPG Wales in Cardiff.
http://www.lpgwales.com 900 brand New plus Your choice- in spare wheel space(up to 46litres in spare) or cylinder id like to have 70 but they havent in stock.
I cant say nothing about others but they provide very good quality service and only one day fitting.MY its 2nd subaru which they did first it was sti.
To make it leagal/certificated(my car is registered in DVLA) they must put filler cup in place which will able to withstand the pressure of 60 kg. next as impreza has turbo and has stronger valve seats You dont need lubricator(they can explain it better)
no matter how big is Your turbo if you are still under 300bhp.
every depends from parts,they offer parts up tu 300bhp if You wonna more You need stronger or more(another 4) injectors,vaporizer.
lpg ecu is separate , my is mapped for my prodrive map exactly the same but lpg have more octan but lower calory in litres (more calory in kg but they sell it in litres and that is a reason why is 10% less power(if they will map above prodrive map then maybe will be closer with power to petrol)i dont know how strong it is on lpg-i havent idea how much power has on petrol. never been on dyno i estimated what i feel under right foot.
with my driving i need 7000 miles to paid me back depends how much You pay for conversion. the best is call them to make it a deal

Im not sure about future with my car but on that moment Im happy with it.
over 60p diferrence between Tesco momentus 132p and lpg on bp station 69.9p
I saw some shell wit 82p for lpg but is still 50p against petrol.
road tax is cheaper around 15 or 10pounds. I pay 235 a year.
For people who live in london. after when You convert Your car on lpg take it to station for emission test, probably after it pass(Your car is co2 friendly) is no congestion charge for Your car,i mean You can drive in London centre without charge 8pounds daily.
You dont need Flash lube kit for protection of Valves.
as impreza is turbo has stronger valve seats dont pu 100 pounds to the trash.
read how lubricator works/its only lubricates good first valves, cylinder.