Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have your say on the way ScoobyNet runs in 2011

As per title...
I have plans to change a few things around here and a member on here just reminded me about one of them, so lets hear it... what would you like to see changed about ScoobyNet in 2011?

Please Note:
To participate in this topic you need to do the following:

1) State clearly what you would like to see changed.
2) State clearly a structured reason why you think your idea is valid and for the good of the community.

Be aware, any personal attacks or baiting on this topic will result in infractions and or bans, its a serious topic requiring serious input only.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:53 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be useful to improve the I-Trader rating system. Obviously someone selling a lot of small items and asking for a positive trader feedback rating will get a far higher score than someone who is not asking for a feedback and only makes occassional sales.
I understand some people have given positive feedback on receipt of item only to find it is junk when they have come to fit the item or component. There is no facility to alter their feedback and positive rating.

A new section to include a name and shame or best avoid list to deal with people like Flat4 who are not advertisers on here and to deal with people who advertise stuff and then remove it or generally turn out to be people best avoided. We need a better share of information to protect Scoobynet members from the unscrupulous.
I appreciate there may be problems policing it but such systems work on other sites.

False, dishonest or misleading advertising should be removed.

Other than that the site works fairly well within the confines of what it is.
Old 21 December 2010, 10:05 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if its the same for everyone or just me.

But when i perform a serch, the threads listed do not come up in chronological order of when they were last added to. So a thread that wasnt replied to since last week may come up above a thread that was replied to this morning for example.

Maybe also like to have a button to fast track to all the threads that I for example have resonded to. It would be simpler to keep track of the topics that we are most interested in.

Other than that. Keep up the already good work Stu
Old 21 December 2010, 10:27 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

name and shame , but needs to be monitored so the threads dont get out of hand.
a freebie section for people just wanting stuff out the way
non car related stuff for sale section

also poss to maybe having a section for newage and classic bits for sale or under the thread title , or even including it in the title , just basically some how seeing if its for newage or classic without having to open ever thread

also think think the i trader needs adjusting not sure how , just dont really seem to work , people dont seem to always use it when buying and selling (probably guilty of that myself..lol)
Old 21 December 2010, 11:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by frayz
I dont know if its the same for everyone or just me.

But when i perform a serch, the threads listed do not come up in chronological order of when they were last added to. So a thread that wasnt replied to since last week may come up above a thread that was replied to this morning for example.
Odd, I think it should do that already: Go to advanced search, lower left hand section. You have the options to sort threads by either the last posting date, or the date the thread was created, either in asscending or descending order.

Maybe also like to have a button to fast track to all the threads that I for example have resonded to. It would be simpler to keep track of the topics that we are most interested in.
Have you tried automatic thread subscriptions? This when enabled, will list all the threads you have replied to in your userCP (you may have to click "view all subscribed threads" at the bottom right to get the full list ).

If its not enabled, to enable it, do the following:

Goto "userCP" then "edit options" (halfway down on the left).

Scroll down the page to the heading "Messaging & Notification" and look for the heading "Default Thread Subscription Mode"

Now click on the drop down box ( for you, it currently says "do not subscribe") and change it to whatever you like. "No email notification" will just list threads in your UserCP without cluttering up your email, whilst the other options will email you automatically.

Remember to click "save changes" at the very bottom of the page.

Unfortunatly, it'll only track threads you reply to from the point of enabling subscriptions and onwards (I think). I've had it enabled since we first moved to VBulletin about five years ago, so even if an ancient old thread gets replied to today, it'll let me know.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 12:18 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

how about related thread at the bottom of each thread on similar topics? or when creating a new post it, using key words in the title to point you the direction of some similar? that would be good,, saving reposts.

o and another thing which i mentioned before was to expand on the friends type feature and have the messenegr/chat feature like on the nasioc forum, pms just get filled up really quick, i'd pay for the extra chat feature but atm dont feel i should pay just for an enlarged inbox size if u get me

Last edited by eggy790; 21 December 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 01:26 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

as above i think a chat feature would be good , there used to be one years ago and people could interact alot easier easpecially traders like myself who tend to get thousands of pm,s just asking questions about products ect . you could block people or appear offline ect like msn .
Old 21 December 2010, 01:56 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The Trader contact area.

I would like to see something similar to this where special offers could be shared but where we could talk to the trader about the product rather than using personal messaging.

also a name and shame system would be good where there could be a section where you could name questionable traders.

J
Old 21 December 2010, 03:35 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

what about non members only beeing able to post 4 times a day
am sure j4mou would be up for this one

lol.. only joking
Old 21 December 2010, 03:57 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

I would like to have the separate selling section for all the people selling stuff which is not a Subaru or car related part - no offence, but its kinda annoying going through the general for sale section to see none car related stuff when browsing for car part bargains & not a neighbours cat, lowry doors etc.. specially now that you have to be a member to advertise in either of the for sale sections may aswell make one for cars & the other miscellaneous.
Old 21 December 2010, 04:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Timur 008
I would like to have the separate selling section for all the people selling stuff which is not a Subaru or car related part - no offence, but its kinda annoying going through the general for sale section to see none car related stuff when browsing for car part bargains & not a neighbours cat, lowry doors etc.. specially now that you have to be a member to advertise in either of the for sale sections may aswell make one for cars & the other miscellaneous.
Hopefully (fingers crossed) there will be some rearranging of the sale sections sometime next year. As to be frank, its currently a mess.

So any ideas of how to rearrange it are really welcome.
Old 21 December 2010, 04:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Heres one for the to-do list: Update the FAQ, I don't think its been touched since SDB was running the place

Terminator; did you happen to find DJ Dunk's sticky thread?

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 04:57 PM
danssti
ACCOUNT UNDER INVESTIGATION

+1 for M444GY'S input, a chat feature would be good, traders can avoid thousands of pm's,waiting around etc,can arrange details in conversation etc

Dan
Old 21 December 2010, 05:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Make it MUCH harder to join, so that we aren't constatly having to report spam threads which seem to appear every night.

Other BBS sites I use have all sorts of filters to stop spamming, and aren't affected at all.
Old 21 December 2010, 06:00 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by phil739
what about non members only beeing able to post 4 times a day
am sure j4mou would be up for this one

lol.. only joking
well thats a great way to lose members that's for sure.
Old 21 December 2010, 06:15 PM
--------
Scooby Regular

LESS interference from mod-er-haters,if someone objects to a thread, then they should ignore it,no reason to ban/close it.
If it upsets people,then tuff sh8t, READ ANOTHER THREAD!
The mods on here still have too much subjective input!
Old 21 December 2010, 06:20 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Think it would be good to have:

A members projects section, just so people can keep a progress thread on their cars and the mods they are doing - its always interesting to read what other little bits and bobs people are doing to their cars, and gives somewhere to stick your photo's of new parts without just plonking them straight into the general gallery.
I know theres a 'major projects' section, but thats just for big projects - not your average members...
Old 21 December 2010, 08:22 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

A proven power bragging section please. Rules required copy of dyno printout etc.

1/4 drag time section. Rules required copy of race slip. Spec of car etc.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by --------
LESS interference from mod-er-haters,if someone objects to a thread, then they should ignore it,no reason to ban/close it.
If it upsets people,then tuff sh8t, READ ANOTHER THREAD!
The mods on here still have too much subjective input!
examples please
Old 21 December 2010, 09:20 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

+1 on the name and shame section,scammers need to be shown that they can't get away with BS on this site and it will not be accepted or tolerated on SN.

Oh and i think i should get a prize for the highest post count in 6 months
Old 21 December 2010, 09:34 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M444GY
as above i think a chat feature would be good , there used to be one years ago and people could interact alot easier easpecially traders like myself who tend to get thousands of pm,s just asking questions about products ect . you could block people or appear offline ect like msn .
Originally Posted by danssti
+1 for M444GY'S input, a chat feature would be good, traders can avoid thousands of pm's,waiting around etc,can arrange details in conversation etc, Dan
Use MSN then!

Hmm, people twist about getting ripped off, oh I know, add another way for scum to try and do it. Then queue more twisting that people have been ripped off.

SN is more than slow enough without adding something to slow it further, IMO.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:35 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prodriverules
+1 on the name and shame section,scammers need to be shown that they can't get away with BS on this site and it will not be accepted or tolerated on SN.

Oh and i think i should get a ban for the highest post count in 6 months
EFA
Old 21 December 2010, 09:36 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
EFA
Old 21 December 2010, 09:40 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
Think it would be good to have:

A members projects section, just so people can keep a progress thread on their cars and the mods they are doing - its always interesting to read what other little bits and bobs people are doing to their cars, and gives somewhere to stick your photo's of new parts without just plonking them straight into the general gallery.
I know theres a 'major projects' section, but thats just for big projects - not your average members...
think you will find what you need in the

project section!!

Last edited by m@t STImulation; 21 December 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 10:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry if this post is a tad irrelevant as I have no suggestions on the running of the forum long-term, but there are one or two bugs I don't seem to be able to get rid of.

1. When reading threads and returning to the main forum, the page doesn't update. I have to refresh the page afterwards. Even if I navigate away from SN and return in the same day, the page hasn't updated and I have to refresh to make it do so. Any ideas?

2. Would it be possible to re-instate the search facility in the Muppet room forum? I think it was disabled in SDB's time. Not a big deal I know, but it would be nice to revisit happier times occasionally.
Old 21 December 2010, 10:51 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by ALi-B
examples please
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ppily-buy.html

fill you're boots.
Old 21 December 2010, 11:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh, looks like s**t stirring due to fall-out from another locked thread to me. Thats a grey area IMO, if that poll thread had started before the other slating thread had degenerated, it would have probably stayed open.

There aren't many non-spam threads that get locked or deleted, so "--------'s" accusation is a bit, well, perplexing. For example, I can see every deleted thread, and from a quick glance the first 3 pages of deleted threads is either spam or people trying to advertise without paying. We only step in only when there is a good reason, bearing in mind its less work for us to leave people to their own devices rather than constantly meddle all the time.

But as always, there is a policy section in which people are free to use to question mods actions. Ok, judging by how few posts are in there, it appears many people can't be bothered, probably because they won't get their own way or its a non-issue. However it is there to make us answerable to our actions; Its not like we lock threads for the fun of it ( : ).

So for Stu (and us) to know what "--------" means, we need to know what he thinks we (mods) are doing wrong, and what other actions should have been taken instead. Fully reasoned of course, and taking into account the current forum rules and any liable issues that may ensue from further topic degeneration. Whilst its easy to have a generic pop at us, for it to have any weight it needs to be backed up with some reasoning. So telling us to back off is a little too non-specific.

IMHO (as always ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 11:56 PM
c_n_j
Scooby Regular

This is probably a non starter, but here goes.

People are asking for a name and shame section, but as we've seen from past experience people tend to wade in and it turns into a slanging match. Would it be possible for a name and shame section where only the OP and the trader could post. So that we could see both sides of the story and judge for ourselves. Maybe that could be a compromise between what we've got now and what we would like, and it would surely make things a bit easier for the mods to manage.

Don't know if that's possible or not. I appreciate I may not post on these forums often, but as can be seen from my join date, I might not post much, but I lurk quite a bit.
Old 22 December 2010, 07:57 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

A projects section already exists sponsored by Lateral I think.
As indicated above you can set up your User Control Panel so that any thread you contribute to becomes a subscribed thread and you get a link or notification via email every day.
Some guys maybe don't have enough to do and want a chat facility but there is already too much to cover on here without adding more time consuming features
Old 22 December 2010, 10:36 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
A proven power bragging section please. Rules required copy of dyno printout etc.

1/4 drag time section. Rules required copy of race slip. Spec of car etc.
+1

Proven power bragging section.
Rules of posting must include the engine size, turbo used, boost and fuel used. Must be acompanied by graphs and any drag times must be backed up by slips.

Makes for a good data source and cuts alot of myth and bullsh1t surrounding some builds.

Quick Reply: Have your say on the way ScoobyNet runs in 2011