Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY03 - What do we know about the future of the Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2002, 02:05 AM
MY01
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Over the past few months alot has been said about the generation Impreza will again change design (but only slightly).

So far we've heard the following:

<<--->>

MY2003 Rumours!
We have only just got into the MY2002 and alreay we have rumours associated with the next model the MY2003! On the silly side there are reports of changes to the actual profile of the front end of the car with a complete redesign of the bugeye headlights, not just an upgrade using aftermarket parts. Personally I find this difficult to believe knowing myself how much the cost for tooling up manufacturing would be and also the crash tests that would have to be involved if a change such as this was made. The present car may not cater for the original Impreza enthusiast but as far as the rest of the population is concerned it is a hit. The whole of the June/July/August production run in the first year alone was rumoured to have been turned over to producing cars for the USA, and dealers in the UK have reported selling more WRX's in the first 5 months of the year than they ever sold in a year of the old turbo! Having said that there is at least one well respected Japanese aftermarket body stylist holding off their New Age kit as they are convinced!

Autoweek have also revealed that there will be a 2 door coupe based upon the MY2003 platform. Unlike the previous 2 doors this will be a proper coupe more in the lines of the Audi TT than a 2 door shell of the standard saloon. It will utilise the drive train and engines from the Impreza and most probably revive the SVX name....didn't I release this back in April?
<<--->>

What else has been said?

I'm a very proud owner of an MY01 WRX but to this day still miss the look of the much more aggressive looking MY00
Old 10 April 2002, 07:27 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

As far as I can remember, the rumours have suggested that Prodrive have been asked to design a partial re-skin rather than a complete re-design, in order to change the front end, and a few other bits. I don't have the knowledge to say whether replacing panels would require new crash tests or not, but I can't see why it should.

Josh
Old 10 April 2002, 09:50 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Actually, I haven't looked at Steve's site in over a year, you cheeky little sh1te!

These rumours are all over the place, although as I understand it, Steve's site is about the only place where they can all be found.

Josh
Old 04 October 2002, 09:30 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

MY01:
I see you read Steve Breen's website iwoc.co.uk. Nice bit of cut and paste :-)

[Edited by sillysi - 4/10/2002 9:56:09 AM]
Old 04 October 2002, 09:56 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Josh:

Sorry m8 I was replying to MY01's post.

Si.

[Edited by sillysi - 4/10/2002 9:57:43 AM]