Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob sayin hi - thoughts please on potential purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2010, 01:53 PM
Jimbob808
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob sayin hi - thoughts please on potential purchase.

Hi All,

I am looking to take the plunge and purchase my first Scoob. I am after a wagon, have about 5-5.5k to spend and have spotted this example.

The seller has confirmed the history, all with Subaru and has confrimation of the cambelt change at 45k miles. I've been reading the forum for a week or two now but I still know very little about these cars, but have always fancied a wrx or sti. I actually really like the look of the blob eye and really want a completely original unmodded new age rather than a classic (need as reliable a motor as possible as it will be my only car and daily driver), but it has to be a wagon really as I have a family and the hatch back is ideal buggies etc.

I know i'll get relatively few mpg, but what are the other running costs like for servicing etc? I'm a total stranger to spanners so will be reliant on a good indy for maintenance, but coming out of a bmw 325 i'm no stranger to low mpg and potentially ruinous costs! Anything that I should really look out for?

Cheers in advance for all help, and I look forward to your thoughts!
Old 06 December 2010, 04:07 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

This is the car for you http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2280807.htm
I'm gonna say that as its my car....
Old 06 December 2010, 04:09 PM
Oh-Flock
Master Flocker

really nice white wagon for sale on here well worth a look
Old 06 December 2010, 04:09 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

You can get a great car for 5-5.5k.

I noticed you have chosen a wagon as an example. If you're looking for extra space, dont be fooled by the wagon, it doesnt have <much> extra, although they are excellent cars and I really like them. You'd be surprised how big the boot is, on a saloon. They're huge.

As for running costs, depends on your age for insurance, where you live and what claims you've made in the past. Im 38, 3points, full no claims and its still hits about £850 for full comp

Petrol, you're talking 23-30mpg depending on how you drive. If its had any mods in the engine dept, remaps and so on, you'll probably need V-Power, so its between 50-70 quid a tank depending on how many litres you can hold (my hatch holds 60 so its nearly 70 bucks for me to fill up), it might be a 50 litre tank on a wagon.

No remaps, great, you can go for standard RON95 and save a fiver a tank

Im getting around 250 miles to the tank.

Tax is pretty cheap, considering. Should be something around 220 a year for a 2.0Turbo

All in all, its an expensive hobby. But by god, its damn good fun and I promise you, once you have a scoob, if you get rid of it, you'll be buying another coz you will be addicted and wished you hadnt bother selling it in the first place.

Welcome to the wonderful world of scoobaru's.

btw, putting aside some issues of the new version (hatch engines), they're a very reliable and SAFE car to drive.
Old 06 December 2010, 04:23 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome. You will probably be restricted to the WRX in Newage spec as the Wagon STi is rarer than a Unicorn. I have only ever seen two in the UK. The Classic STi wagon is much more available.

The space is not much better than a saloon but my dog hated being locked in the boot so I had a wagon instead .

Buyers market at the moment. So good time to buy.

What about a JDM GT Legacy or Forester S-TB/XT?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?p=1&s=650

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2310925.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/lis...&Submit=Search
Old 06 December 2010, 05:09 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weve all been there
Old 06 December 2010, 06:16 PM
Jimbob808
Scooby Newbie

Nice one Carlh, thanks.

I'm currently getting about 280 miles out of a tank of super from my beemer, costs about £70 to fill up, so sounds about the same. The beemer gives me just under 25mpg.

I have decided to go for a wagon due to the slightly easier access to the loadspace and the fact that its a slighltly more reserved looking machine as I do have to use it for my job from time to time.

Unmodded is very important to me as is reliability hence looking at newage, i just figure that newer stands more chance of having less problems, but i'll happily be talked out of that with a bit of hard evidence!

Trooper, some good looking cars there, hadn't considered those options, but will certainly have a good look, thanks

For that blue car i've posted above, the best quote i've had so far for fully comp is £688 - i'm 33, 9 years ncb, 3 points. Not bad I thought, but i'll keep looking!
Old 06 December 2010, 06:28 PM
BigBurnz
Scooby Regular

i know you stated you wanted new age but this looks mint!!!!

HERE

better than a new age anyways!
Old 06 December 2010, 06:54 PM
Jukesy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob808
Nice one Carlh, thanks.

I'm currently getting about 280 miles out of a tank of super from my beemer, costs about £70 to fill up, so sounds about the same. The beemer gives me just under 25mpg.

I have decided to go for a wagon due to the slightly easier access to the loadspace and the fact that its a slighltly more reserved looking machine as I do have to use it for my job from time to time.

Unmodded is very important to me as is reliability hence looking at newage, i just figure that newer stands more chance of having less problems, but i'll happily be talked out of that with a bit of hard evidence!

Trooper, some good looking cars there, hadn't considered those options, but will certainly have a good look, thanks

For that blue car i've posted above, the best quote i've had so far for fully comp is £688 - i'm 33, 9 years ncb, 3 points. Not bad I thought, but i'll keep looking!
I see your after a wagon albeit a new age although you do mention if you could be talked out of it you would listen

Well i have a classic wagon for sale https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...000-miles.html

And the only think that is different from how the car left the factory is it now has a single exit back box rather than the twin exit.

The milage is also a lot less than the advert you have posted. Yes the car is 4 years older but it has been looked after with all the receipts and invoices plus you would save yourself a fair bit of money.

Im not pushing my car as you would prefer a new age and im in no rush to sell it on the cheap but it may be worth bearing in mind that there are classic wagons out there like mine for sale which are in very good condition.

But what ever you decide good luck with the search and wellcome to the world of Scoobys