Sponsored by:

This is alarming!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2001, 07:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Hi there - hope you have all pledged on my other thread?????!!!!

Tonight I went to the Scoobie - pressed the remote button and ....... NOTHING!!!!!!

It eventually worked after many presses - I seem to remember this topic raising its head last summer - is it still a problem? what is the solution? is it a warranty item AND can you get into the car without it??

Pete
Old 16 March 2001, 07:52 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be nothing more than flat batteries in the remote, were you at home? if not and you were parked somewhere you don't usually, could be a local transmitter interfeing with your signal.

Batteries in my remotes last about a year, if your alarm had been sat on the shelf for a while before fitting in the UK, they could have lost a bit of charge.
Old 16 March 2001, 08:05 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Had the very same thing on my car last week.It was just a year old, shook key fob and tried the button lots and finally after ten mins got in! Probably for one of the same reasons the question was asked "can you get into the car without it??" I didn't want to set the alarm off by using the key. The problem upset me just a bit because there was no apparent warning of battery failure.If you do get in with the key can you turn the alarm off easily and is the car imobilized?
Matt
Old 16 March 2001, 08:08 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete

Exactly the same thing happened to me tonight.

Got a cold feeling of dread come over me (no comments on my use of words )

Eventually worked when I moved round to the front of the car (sensor is there so if the battery was low then reception may have been better, my twisted logic).
This happened in Sainsbury's car park (with a trolley full of food).
When I got home it worked fine again, maybe a transmitter problem (not parked that end of the car park when I shopped there before)?
Old 16 March 2001, 08:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete,
If it's a UK car 99 onwards then I think you can disable the alarm on entering the car by putting you PIN code number into the keypad. Read the manual, it should say in there.

Chip.
Old 16 March 2001, 08:11 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Had *exactly* the same problem - The car is only 4 months old (!) --> but it only happened with the car parked at a specific site.....it has worked no problems when its parked elsewhere - therefore assume its interference.

Gastro
Old 16 March 2001, 08:16 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Most UHF receiver modules used in car alarms have wide bandwidths & can easily get swamped by adjacent channel intererence from nearby transmitters or RF noise sources.

Boring or what ?

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2001, 08:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - quick good responses

I reckon the batteries may be duff???? I have the other (unused) fob - I take it that the code is not rolling?? ie. that the other remote will need to 'catch-up' with the code?

The pushbutton doesnt seem quite as 'poppy' as it once did!? Its now 10 months old (car and alarm)

Pete
Old 16 March 2001, 08:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Pete,

if it is the remote battery (or even a local hi-power transmitter), try pressing the button with the fob held in different places to get a better signal (sills, screen., bonnet). I have seen this work on various cars (with the correct key combo of course).

With regard to rolling codes - i assume that each remote fob (you are limited to i think four) has its own sequence. Thus any unused one should still work - maybe i had better try my spare!

mb

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 16 March 2001).]
Old 16 March 2001, 11:39 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sigma M30
If the remote fob doesnt work. Open the car with the key. Alarm sounds on opening door, then open glovebox and key in pin number on keypad. Alarm will stop. Immobiliser will activate again after 30secs. If this happens, close the doors, key in pin no, alarm will arm and doors will lock. Key in pin no. again. Alarm will disarm and doors will open. Start car before immobiliser cuts in again. Pin number was supplied with car, but best changed to something you can remember and something thats not written on something in the glovebox.
Greg
Old 17 March 2001, 01:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Greg - how the hell do they get nicked??? ha ha ha

Pete
Old 18 March 2001, 01:46 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem once. I found that pressing the button with the keys next to the driver's window helped - less distance to the sensor. It's been fine ever since so probably local interference.