Sponsored by:

How long to keep the Scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2001, 12:42 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Subaru UK will now extend the warranty from 3yrs to 5yrs for about £400.

No excuse not to keep it!

Mark
Old 16 March 2001, 11:02 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I guess this is a how long is a piece of string question, however I'll ask it anyhow!

Last year I opted out of the company car scheme and bought my 1st Scoob. It's now just over one year old.

In the company scheme cars were replaced after 3 years or 60,000 miles.

Is there any logic behind this that I should be looking at for my private car? Do cars become harder to sell after 3 years/60k miles? Or is it just lease companies trying to avoid MOTs?

Any experiences appreciated!

Greg
Old 16 March 2001, 11:14 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg,

As you know our cars are about the same age and I was planning on changing 2 or 3 months before the warranty runs out. I think my dealer tipped me off about that as being a good time to change so they have a few months cover when they sell it on, and as a result you would get in a better trade-in value.

Otis.
Old 16 March 2001, 11:24 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Greg....

I put the disks I bought from you on the imp yesterday but fitted new DS2000's frnt and rear I'm bedding them in so too early to tell if theres any real improvement.

I'm having a similar dilemma to you at the moment. Obviously our cars have depreciated. More than I expected when I bought it.

I've read on this board that dealers are offering as little as 13K for T/V reg cars and mines worth more than that to me (18 mnths old). The new shape isn't an obvious choice when it comes to replace mine. So...

I think I'm going to keep it for another year at least. I might go for the PPP if the price comes down otherwise I'll be saving for a late EVO or EVO VII or STI (in the new shape).

It would be interesting to hear peoples experiences of selling theirs.

Jason
Old 16 March 2001, 11:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think they change after 3 years due to image and reliability. Also cars older than 3 year old don't attract the same company tax breaks. If you keep the car for a 4th year it will depreciate less. 5th year you will probably need to start putting expensive parts in, but it won't be as expensive as the depreciation on a new car. I sold an 3 yo Almera last year. It cost 12k new and I got 3 grand for it in a private sale. Dealer was offering me 2 as a trade in, so I reckon that I can keep the Scoob and spend 3 grand a year on parts and be no worse off than selling it and buying a new Almera. 3 grand buys a lot of (tuning) parts. I've seen older Scoobs with 150k on the clock that haven't had any major part (i.e. Turbo, clutch, engine) replaced. I also cannot find any other car (MY01 and EVO 7 included) that I would rather have
Old 16 March 2001, 11:47 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Smile

I guess the question is why do you want to sell? Is it to get the latest model, another car with 3 year warenty, avoiding the MOT?

Personally, if you're happy with the car, than why not keep it longer? It's going to loose vale no matter what you do, so keep it longer and save up for something special..?

I've had my MY95 for over two years, and will probably keep it for another two, by which time it probably will not be worth too much It's still running well and had not problems with it.

So I'll be in a position to get something <I>really</I> nice next time...

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 16 March 2001).]
Old 16 March 2001, 01:23 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Is it also that after 3 years, you have to start MOT'ing your vehicle. Now on most new cars 3 years old you are not going to fail, unless you haven't looked after it very well.

I think I will be getting rid in another 2 years. Mine is a MY00, and coming up for a year old.

But, there is a problem, I have no idea what to get next. I fancy a new Lexus IS300 Estate, or a WRX estate. I could do with some more space....or that new X type Jag looks quite nice to!

Jim

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2001, 06:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

GregH,

i am thinking of opting out and buying my lease Scooby in a year or so's time (depending on the price), and will probably run it for a couple more years because the maintenance costs will be less that what you will lose in the first year of new ownership. Also, i can't afford to buy a new one outright!

mb
Old 16 March 2001, 07:16 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Talking

It is a very good question ! [imlach will back me on this one!]........
In theory 3years is the optimal balance between depreciation and use of a car - that is gospel. Problem is do you let you pocket or your heart rule ??? I'm no saint for sure - hence 3 cars in a year - it slams it home how much cars depreciate early on & I'll be paying for this in the next 3 years :-((((
In retrospect - hold on to what you like - the next car may be newer - but it aint necessarily more fun -----&gt; I just wished I'd bought an impreza about 2.5 years ago - it would have stopped the integra R --&gt; 911 --&gt; boxster --&gt; P1 changes.......
Hope this helps ! ENJOY !

Regards,

Gastro
Old 17 March 2001, 03:19 AM
Jack Cowell
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In this current climate the amount you lose on resale is not worth the trade in value, plus what else is available in this league. I've opted to run my MY97 untill it's worth is negligable and if it's still great to drive why change.
Jack C
Old 18 March 2001, 01:28 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you can extend the warranty to 5 years? Anyway, once the warranty runs out you have a perfect opportunity to start doing some proper work on the car, making up for the little things that Subaru left out...like an extra 100bhp heh heh