Sponsored by:

Recommended Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2010, 03:03 AM
mcscoobs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Mods

I know, I know... haven't even bought my Scooby yet, but already thinking about mods! I like subtle mods. However, one minute i'm thinking about pods and gauges, the next i'm thinking about exhausts and wheels... I need to calm down!

Its for a 2002 WRX. Current mods on the car are:
Remapped by Powerstation
Lowered on Eibach springs 30mm all round
D2 330mm 8 Pot front big brake conversion
Front strut brace, rear strut brace
Afterburner vortex backbox
K&N 57i induction kit
Turbosmart Supersonic Dump valve

Anything I should change/keep from the above? I'm thinkinng about going back to standard induction with just a high flow panel filter?

Any advice is extremely welcome
Old 03 December 2010, 06:51 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Depends if it was mapped on the induction kit or standard airbox and filter, if it's correctly mapped on the induction going back to a panel will require a map check at least.

Std dump valve will be OK on that setup and may give smoother running.

I'd change the exhaust so you have a full de-cat/sports cat system and also the up-pipe to a decat/Sti item with a remap you should see around 330/40 BHP - add a VF34, Pink injectors and an STI TMIC and scoop you should see 370.
Old 03 December 2010, 07:20 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
Depends if it was mapped on the induction kit or standard airbox and filter, if it's correctly mapped on the induction going back to a panel will require a map check at least.

I'd change the exhaust so you have a full de-cat/sports cat system and also the up-pipe to a decat/Sti item with a remap you should see around 330/40 BHP - add a VF34, Pink injectors and an STI TMIC and scoop you should see 370.
+1

If you have a big brake conversion, i'd assume you already have aftermarket wheels?
Old 03 December 2010, 08:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want big power then a wrx isnt the car to start with, engine wise, 330bhp is more than enough, go over 350bhp and reliability is compromised, be warned!
Gearboxes wont like stupid ammounts of torque, neither will the clutch, these will cost you the most to replace when they go wrong (and the engines do have a tendancy of letting go at the most unfortunate times )

Tony
Old 03 December 2010, 08:11 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you want big power then a wrx isnt the car to start with, engine wise, 330bhp is more than enough, go over 350bhp and reliability is compromised, be warned!
Gearboxes wont like stupid ammounts of torque, neither will the clutch, these will cost you the most to replace when they go wrong (and the engines do have a tendancy of letting go at the most unfortunate times )

Tony

not sure i'd agree with that, depends how far your gonna go. not point in paying extra for parts your just gonna replace anyway, but as said depends how far you take it
Old 03 December 2010, 09:13 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
not sure i'd agree with that, depends how far your gonna go. not point in paying extra for parts your just gonna replace anyway, but as said depends how far you take it
+1 for the above,but agree with tony on the gearbox issues .I believe that powerstation's Andy 'fuzz' Cooksons mica blue classic ran and is still running 448 bhp on bog std/showroom - stock engine internals. He has had to change the std 5 speed box to a 6 speeder,but the car has managed quite a few 8 mins 20 secs times at the ring. I know this is an exception,but as said above it depends on how far you want to take it imho.
Old 07 December 2010, 06:44 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

For the record my 5spd box outlasted my wrx engine! Currently still on the 5spd (until I can afford/have to change it) at 390/350, the std 2.0 let go at 370/300 in Germany!

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2010, 07:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Get rid of the chavhorn dumpvalve and put a standard one back on.
Old 07 December 2010, 09:52 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

High flow fuel pump & a 3 port boost solenoid, preferably with a electronic boost controller.
Old 07 December 2010, 10:04 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

just enjoy the power you have got because you wont be able to get much more out of a wrx without spend £k. Maybe improve handling with thicker arb's and decent droplinks.
Old 07 December 2010, 10:22 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

if your spending all that on it , why not just buy a sti , better than the wrx in every way , and in the long run will save you a few quid

stu
Old 08 December 2010, 01:11 PM
mcscoobs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Tony
Don't worry, not after crazy power, just something that will seperate it from other stock WRX's

Originally Posted by Aladdin
High flow fuel pump & a 3 port boost solenoid, preferably with a electronic boost controller.
Any recommendations about brands?

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Maybe improve handling with thicker arb's and decent droplinks.
Also, any recommendations about brands?
Old 08 December 2010, 01:33 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bosch or Walbro are best choices for fuel pumps & AEM or Apexi AVCR for boost controllers. If you just want a 3 port boost solenoid then a Denso is upto the job or even a Perrin one.
Old 12 December 2010, 05:27 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
+1 for the above,but agree with tony on the gearbox issues .I believe that powerstation's Andy 'fuzz' Cooksons mica blue classic ran and is still running 448 bhp on bog std/showroom - stock engine internals. He has had to change the std 5 speed box to a 6 speeder,but the car has managed quite a few 8 mins 20 secs times at the ring. I know this is an exception,but as said above it depends on how far you want to take it imho.
2.5 L Cosworth engine in it now running a consistent 430bhp @ 1.45 bar... (same turbo as before)
Standard six speed is still alive although it does have a plated front diff in it.
Didn't break, just needed better distribution of power.
Old 12 December 2010, 05:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Standard upgrades for WRX is:Walbro 255 fuel pump,VF34 or VF35(TD05-16G will make around same power like VF35 330-340BHP),STi pink injectors,DeCated Uppipe,STi V7/8 TMIC and you will see around 330-340BHP,but is big but really depends on state of health your car(some WRX after these upgrades,just made around 305-310BHP),due this you must be sure your WRX is really healthy and OK(check compression on every piston,no ring failure etc.)
Old 12 December 2010, 06:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the mention of gearbox's taking this and that power, well its pot luck. mine blew at 260bhp/280ftlb. was giving it death on the isle of mann, i think i prob slightly missed 3rd and thats what killed it, but depends how you treat it. budget for it and then your ok if it does go pete tong
Old 11 March 2011, 01:24 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye

Just saw this advice - unless I've misread it (and apologies if I have) it's not quite right for a WRX!
Even if you go full decat with a remap, you're never going to see 330-40bhp on a standard WRX, unless you add a revised turbo, injectors, STI TMIC, etc.

I've recently had a Prodrive sports cat, STI up pipe, and centre decat added to the cat-back 2.5" stainless system on my 01 WRX.
With a green panel filter, Walbro pump and 3 port boost solenoid the car made 272bhp on the rollers.
Given that the standard figure for that model is acknowledged as somewhere in the region of 215bhp, JGM reckoned I probably wouldn't go much further with a standard TD04, and tbh I'm happy with it.