Sponsored by:

Which anti-freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2010, 03:07 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which anti-freeze?

Yes i have used the search but it is still not clear to me. I have spoken to Subaru and they recomment Mobil or Esso, the guy couldnt tell me what it was called but it was green, not a lot of help really!!

I have searched Mobile and Esso anti-freeze and the answer is still inconclusive.

I am now considering buying this:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...25p55576&rs=gb

Is this the right move or a suitable product??

Also, how much water does an 06 2.5 WRX hold? Above bloke said 2 -3 ltrs which again doesnt sound right to me!

Ian

Last edited by evil.soup; 30 November 2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: edit
Old 30 November 2010, 03:13 PM
bobby chang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Silkolene pro-cool, it's a good stuff.
Old 30 November 2010, 03:39 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I too had a bit of a search when I wanted to change my anti-freeze and found that there is a lot of different views on anti-freeze.

I did find that Subaru recommend an anti freeze that is free from amine/phosphates, silicate and nitrite. Also known as N.A.P. free. I also found that most modern high end anti-freeze products meet these specs.

My Subaru dealer recommended Shell coolant which is available from Shell petrol stations. This is what they use in customers cars. I bought some and mixed it 50:50 with de-mineralised water ( bought from Amazon ).

Important thing is not to mix blue/green coolant with orange and vice versa. Blue/green is gylcol based and orange is organic acid technology ( OAT ).

Hope this helps.
Old 30 November 2010, 03:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ready to use Motul Inugel and you need 2x 5ltr bottles for a 7ltr coolant change. Just clean out the over flow tank and run some water through the rad/matrix to get rid of the old nasty Subaru stuff
Old 30 November 2010, 03:49 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
I too had a bit of a search when I wanted to change my anti-freeze and found that there is a lot of different views on anti-freeze.

I did find that Subaru recommend an anti freeze that is free from amine/phosphates, silicate and nitrite. Also known as N.A.P. free. I also found that most modern high end anti-freeze products meet these specs.

My Subaru dealer recommended Shell coolant which is available from Shell petrol stations. This is what they use in customers cars. I bought some and mixed it 50:50 with de-mineralised water ( bought from Amazon ).

Important thing is not to mix blue/green coolant with orange and vice versa. Blue/green is gylcol based and orange is organic acid technology ( OAT ).

Hope this helps.
The above one i am looking at is pure ethylene glycol base so should fit the bill????

Here is another link to it:
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/351
Old 30 November 2010, 04:09 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by evil.soup
The above one i am looking at is pure ethylene glycol base so should fit the bill????

Here is another link to it:
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/351
Having been there, researched that, you'll go round and round in circles and still end up facing backwards. Go with the one you've listed or the Inugel I suggested, but whatever you go for make sure you get as much of the old coolant out as possible. This in enough quantity can mix and sludge up the properties of the different types of coolant rendering them less effective and manky looking. Subaru allegedly add a stop leak additive as well (not the the HG are weak ) and you'll never really know whats in your system until you do a proper rinse and refill with nice new stuff
Old 30 November 2010, 04:10 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert but the coolant you link too is OAT and the coolant in your Impreza will most likely be glycol.

The two can not be mixed.

It's confusing that OAT is mono ethylene glycol based ( MEG ) but they are different products.

If you have blue/green coolant already in the car then you should only change to blue/green etc.

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2010, 04:18 PM
Scooby Senior

What about Pink

Colours aren't the best terms of reference

Or how about a 50/50 hybrid 'Motul Inugel Expert in blue/green ?

OAT is fine, just clean the system first
Old 30 November 2010, 04:24 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

I used motul inugel optimal, this is an ORGANIC type, and must not be used to top up a system containing non-organic coolant. A drain and flush is needed to use this, (oddly, this is bright orange in the container, but as soon as you start pouring it into the car, it looks green). Ready mixed from opie oils.
Old 30 November 2010, 04:27 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gallois
I used motul inugel optimal, this is an ORGANIC type, and must not be used to top up a system containing non-organic coolant. A drain and flush is needed to use this, (oddly, this is bright orange in the container, but as soon as you start pouring it into the car, it looks green). Ready mixed from opie oils.
Run this in my Spec D no probs, got some for the classic too
Old 30 November 2010, 04:33 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The all in one pink coolant from Halfords does the job nicely & it is good for aluminium engines. Special offer at £18.99 for 5ltrs. Not bad eh
Old 30 November 2010, 04:40 PM
Scooby Senior

I've used the halfords pink and it was ok but for £27 from Opie you can get the Motul enough for a full change and 3 ltrs of top up. Halfords stuff would work out at £38.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-903-motu...ti-freeze.aspx
Old 30 November 2010, 04:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine is Carplan stuff, from a local motor factors, it said it was good for alloy engines etc and contains corrosion inhibitors. It's fluo pink.

Wasn't that dear.
Old 01 December 2010, 09:47 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Well, that still leaves me a little confused but am i right in thinking that if the system is correctly flushed any good anti-freeze will be fine that is suitable for alloy engines?

Also i have some Millers coolant to go in so does this change things??

The crazy thing about all this is that i have done dozens of services on many cars and never got hung up on the anti-freeze as long as it was good quality but now i have been reading about it i am afraid of putting the wrong stuff in!!!!!
Old 01 December 2010, 09:52 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Having been there, researched that, you'll go round and round in circles and still end up facing backwards. Go with the one you've listed or the Inugel I suggested, but whatever you go for make sure you get as much of the old coolant out as possible. This in enough quantity can mix and sludge up the properties of the different types of coolant rendering them less effective and manky looking. Subaru allegedly add a stop leak additive as well (not the the HG are weak ) and you'll never really know whats in your system until you do a proper rinse and refill with nice new stuff
Originally Posted by evil.soup
Well, that still leaves me a little confused but am i right in thinking that if the system is correctly flushed any good anti-freeze will be fine that is suitable for alloy engines?

Also i have some Millers coolant to go in so does this change things??

The crazy thing about all this is that i have done dozens of services on many cars and never got hung up on the anti-freeze as long as it was good quality but now i have been reading about it i am afraid of putting the wrong stuff in!!!!!
At the risk of repeating myself

Any of the coolant recommendations are fine if you rinse the system and start again.
Old 01 December 2010, 09:57 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 53WRX
At the risk of repeating myself

Any of the coolant recommendations are fine if you rinse the system and start again.
Just confirming it oldboy, and your right, i am going round in circles here. Im guessing the coolant additive wont have a negative affect regardless of the anti-freeze varient??

Last question, honest!!
Old 01 December 2010, 10:11 AM
Scooby Senior

You mean the stop leak ?

I wouldn't bother

Wynn's Radiator Stop Leak is the closest I believe to the Subaru one. Our cars shouldn't need addtional help, and I very much doubt you'd get it with a subaru dealer service anyway.
Old 01 December 2010, 10:45 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Just go to subaru, i think its shell they use. But when im mixing the antifreeze with some water, its best to use deionised water (as recommended by subaru) as there is no chemicals in it.