Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quickest way to 400bhp on a budget!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2010, 10:12 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Quickest way to 400bhp on a budget!

2002 UK STI, currently completly standard:

I assume I would require, full decat, MD or 20G, uprated panel filter, 3 port, walbro, remap. I also assume the current standard injectors are suffice as is the standard tmic and induction.

Suggestion please.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 15 November 2010, 10:23 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard top mount will be fine Andy f runs over 400 on his i believe.
Old 15 November 2010, 10:25 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

done on a budget means >>>>>>>>> BIG BANG<<<<<<<<<
Old 15 November 2010, 10:34 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

Can you do 400 with the standard internals?
Old 15 November 2010, 10:35 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

you are correct on the spec.. 20g will probs be your cheapest route.. get a genuine one fron harvey or AF

MD will probs be more spooly tho but pricey
Old 15 November 2010, 10:36 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevaldo
Can you do 400 with the standard internals?
on a newage sti yes
Old 15 November 2010, 10:42 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
done on a budget means >>>>>>>>> BIG BANG<<<<<<<<<
what are your suggestions then?

Trending Topics

Old 15 November 2010, 10:44 PM
kevaldo
Scooby Regular

aahh it makes me want to sell my Jap import bug wrx and get an STI as i'm 25 tomorrow! I want 400bhp!
Old 15 November 2010, 10:54 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

do it mate.. better stil sti spec c

they worth the extra standard, believe me, u'll notice difference
Old 16 November 2010, 01:22 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

A STi TMIC will get you there. Not something to worry about in the winter months but come summer again those intake temps will be high.
Fit a ACT gauge or something to monitor it. If it will let go it will anyway but gives you that extra security.

Going on the budget theory. It can be done but even then won't be cheap. If your handy with a spanner do it yourself. I did all of the stuff on my car in my grotty garage with a good friend of mine. All you need to pay for is the parts and map and maybe some take aways and breakfasts for whoever is helping you.

MD321 H!!!

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 16 November 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 16 November 2010, 01:36 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not wishing to bring you down but, you might be able to get to 400 on a 'budget, but if that in itself exhausts your budget, how do you hope to maintain a 400+ car ?
Old 16 November 2010, 04:48 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Not wishing to bring you down but, you might be able to get to 400 on a 'budget, but if that in itself exhausts your budget, how do you hope to maintain a 400+ car ?
Valid point as it goes.

Steve
Old 16 November 2010, 05:35 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the response. I havent declared a 'budget', but clearly you ready many stories on here (some good some bad) about mid powered cars and the reliability, but what seems clear to me is that the standard internals seems reliable and safe if mapped correctly at around 400bhp. So why bother with a several £k forged built 2.0, 2.1, 2.35, 2.5 etc when the standard jobbie is suffice if your not going to go further power hunting?

So with that ^ aside, my list above is somewhere near right? Im guessing that somewhere near £1500 plus labour would see the desired results? I think thats fair to say that this is the 'budget' plus £500 or so for contingency.

Would my contingency be a new clutch, or would a 2.5 clutch hold this power?

Rob
Old 16 November 2010, 05:54 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Depends what you go for mate.

Fuel pump unless uprated
Turbo
FPR (to be safe as the 550cc will be very close to maxing out)
CAIK or a like (speak with Frayz if you want a cone filter with cold air intake)

Brakes. Remember your be pushing that extra power. So will need the stopping power.

Clutch, really depends on what abuse it has had and how you drive? Mine let go at 411.5bhp / 375 lbft with around 54,000 on the clock?
Clutch wise would be worth budgeting for it.

Budget for a new thermostat (Zero Sport), Oil change and change the fuel filter etc prior/at the same time.

Also would be an idea to carry out regular oil changes etc.

Over 350 this is the next stage etc. So won't come cheap. If you think your going to go for more mate sit back and take it in.......don't rush it think about where the money will go and on what.

I don't want to sound like a kill joy. Just advising as I thought long and hard about it when I did my car.

Steve
Old 16 November 2010, 07:09 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

400bhp will be pushing it on standered injectors,even with a fpr.for what a fpr costs you might as well buy a set of injectors which will handle 400 and keep the standered newage fpr. tbh it doesnt cost a great deal to get to 400 anyway nowadays as there are so many second hand parts on the market.its the next step to 500 that costs a whole lot of money.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:40 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

It'll have to be an exceptional set-up for a 20g to hit a real 400 hp on standard fuel.
This will push you into MD321 territory and its higher cost.
The intake will need something more than just a panel filter - a bigger intake hose (but TGVs will get in the way) and/or a cone or wing mount intake to reduce intake pressure losses.
650cc/min injectors. Milleniumracer sells de-capped & flowed injectors for a good price.

I'd give a budget of £2,500 for the 400 hp mark.

Your £1,500 would see you to 350ish.
Old 16 November 2010, 10:32 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

be watching this thread as i will be wanting the same figures on my02 sti

keep the advice coming

and steve thanks for your advice via pm the other night
Old 16 November 2010, 11:52 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

in all seriousness sell yours and buy one already done. no loss in money to you, no having to wait unless you want the achievement at the end of it. nothing is cheap and there will be things you forget or have to be tweaked to get it where you want.

always best to buy one in the sellers eyes done then add a few personal tweaks to make the car yours

just my opinion

wasted plenty of cash and time in the past lol
Old 16 November 2010, 12:17 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

if your doing it for yourself like i am when i modify my car.. then cost doesnt matter, i could easily buy a 10k subaru with everything done but part of the fun is doing it yourself, depends how you look at it.

i guess cause i am young i enjoy this but when older i guess i can see where you guys are coming from when you say buy one done. i just personally find doing that boring at my age lol
Old 16 November 2010, 12:34 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Forget injectors (stick with OE pinks) and just accept a slightly lower BHP level.... don't chase numbers.

Also leave the OE airbox in place and just uprate the panel filter..... you simply do not need an induction kit for 400bhp on a Newage.

TMIC is also fine at this level.

So your original list of things is about on the money (assuming everything else is OK).... too many people like to spend money without any great benefit imo. The only other thing maybe a set of plugs.
Old 16 November 2010, 02:41 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

£1500 to hit 400bhp in parts, I thought the ecu and mapping was best part of 1k depending on what you go for, even with a dynamix map that only leaves a grand for turbo, exhaust etc, what about better disks and pads to stop the thing lol, or clutch not sure what they can handle!

Think it will be tight and it's all well to spend 1.5k getting the power you want but what happens for example if the clutch starts slipping a week after mapping, sometimes it can't be good to do it on a budget,

Silly question and please take no offence here but have you had all the suspension tweaked with anti roll bars etc, as you may find a few hundered quid spent on that and geometry settings may be in order first. Rather that 2k+ on more power tweak the suspension to carry more speed etc

Not saying you can't drive the car to it's potential but how many of us can and end up paying for more power when we can't get the most of the stock set up lol

Seriously no offence meant at all, and what ever you do I hope you enjoy every moment, I know i did and can't wait to get back on again soon
Old 16 November 2010, 06:28 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by Shaun
Forget injectors (stick with OE pinks) and just accept a slightly lower BHP level.... don't chase numbers.
Gd advice from someone who's been there and done it!

OE Pink injectors (500s) were retained on my new age as advised by Pat Herborne and I achieved 400s - then again I did have a Syvecs ECU, though I do agree with Shaun's comments above.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:02 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the input

Originally Posted by stevie1982
in all seriousness sell yours and buy one already done. no loss in money to you, no having to wait unless you want the achievement at the end of it. nothing is cheap and there will be things you forget or have to be tweaked to get it where you want.

always best to buy one in the sellers eyes done then add a few personal tweaks to make the car yours

just my opinion

Point wisely made, and to be honest I agree with you. So I will wait for the retun of my car from CAMS to see which direction to take.

Also leave the OE airbox in place and just uprate the panel filter..... you simply do not need an induction kit for 400bhp on a Newage.

TMIC is also fine at this level.

So your original list of things is about on the money (assuming everything else is OK).... too many people like to spend money without any great benefit imo. The only other thing maybe a set of plugs.

Thanks Shaun for the comments, this is exactly what I was getting at. It all seems pretty pointless spending money on unnecessary or products that actual wont offer any gains at the power level I have in mind.

Originally Posted by JP4
Gd advice from someone who's been there and done it!
Originally Posted by JP4

OE Pink injectors (500s) were retained on my new age as advised by Pat Herborne and I achieved 400s - then again I did have a Syvecs ECU, though I do agree with Shaun's comments above.

Thanks JP. So it does seem that the standard Injectors are up to the job, don’t get me wrong with the thread heading, yes 400bhp would be nice, but somewhere near it would also be sweet. I want a good everyday driveable car with more power then I have had before, hence I think 400 is the next mark I should set my sights on.

Originally Posted by bigarf
400bhp will be pushing it on standered injectors,even with a fpr.for what a fpr costs you might as well buy a set of injectors which will handle 400 and keep the standered newage fpr. tbh it doesnt cost a great deal to get to 400 anyway nowadays as there are so many second hand parts on the market.its the next step to 500 that costs a whole lot of money.

I think 500 is something that would be a few years away for my budget restraints unless I sell a kidney!! Seems to be quite a bit of confusion though towards the standard pinks capabilities ??

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Depends what you go for mate.
Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx

Fuel pump unless uprated
Turbo
FPR (to be safe as the 550cc will be very close to maxing out)
CAIK or a like (speak with Frayz if you want a cone filter with cold air intake)

Brakes. Remember your be pushing that extra power. So will need the stopping power.

Clutch, really depends on what abuse it has had and how you drive? Mine let go at 411.5bhp / 375 lbft with around 54,000 on the clock?
Clutch wise would be worth budgeting for it.

Budget for a new thermostat (Zero Sport), Oil change and change the fuel filter etc prior/at the same time.
Steve

Surely a 2.5 Clutch is more than capable of holding the 400bhp marker? I mean the 2.5 engine delivers much more torque the 2.0, so this would be fine?

Oil changes don’t bother me, I got use to changing mine on the last car every 3-6 months with minimal mileage between changes.

I would imagine the newage STI Brembo’s can stop a 400bhp car back when required if used in conjunction with some decent pads and discs.

Originally Posted by Butty
It'll have to be an exceptional set-up for a 20g to hit a real 400 hp on standard fuel.
This will push you into MD321 territory and its higher cost.
The intake will need something more than just a panel filter - a bigger intake hose (but TGVs will get in the way) and/or a cone or wing mount intake to reduce intake pressure losses.
650cc/min injectors. Milleniumracer sells de-capped & flowed injectors for a good price.

I'd give a budget of £2,500 for the 400 hp mark.

Your £1,500 would see you to 350ish.

What are the capabilities of a 20G then on standard Fuel? I’m no expert by no means, but I’ve read plenty to believe that the standard Intake setup with a high performance filter will get me somewhere near 400bhp?!?
Old 16 November 2010, 07:05 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thing is guys. 400 can be had from pinks. It's all about how your mapper sets it up for you.

With all respect Shaun and JP I see what your saying and so on but it can be done. Pinks plus a FPR would see the OP with supporting mods hit his desired target. Not sure the budget of £1,500 would see it as I has stated previously above as has Stevie1982 who has also suggested the handling side of things too.

I don't want to take over on this thread but my write up in the project area shows the different power levels etc I had when doing the same sort of mods. Be it I had my handling sorted prior etc.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-marmite.html
Please feel free to comment on anything I shoudl have done or should do different?

Shaun/JP I have respect for you both for testing the water on power levels etc as I have said in the past. Not sure what your budgets were at the time and now but the op is looking for 400 and it can be done. I repeat myself I respect you both and don't want to start a slagging match but just pointing out to the OP that this power level can be reached but with some cautions that may be ahead and what will be required for the desired target.

I carried out all the work as stated above in my pokey little garage with help from friends. Only things like suspension,ECU etc was carried out else where in recent years.

Steve
Old 16 November 2010, 07:07 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JP4
I did have a Syvecs ECU, though
get a proper ecu then
Old 16 November 2010, 07:08 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

just my opinion

Stevie1982, I see your point but that defeats the object of building "YOUR OWN CAR".

I really enjoyed doing my car over the years and seeing at different power levels.

It gives you that self pride knowing you have made the car what it is today etc.

Steve
Old 16 November 2010, 07:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My pinks didn't make it to 400 bhp, get some modded ones from Mark @ Lateral (650-ish IIRC).

I upgraded my brakes before heading for 400 bhp, and it made the suspension feel lost once there... £1K on coilovers was next...

MD321H should be around £850 2nd hand, people ask a grand, but they never shift at that IMHO.

An OS re-map and you're nearly there... but DON'T get hung up on the numbers, mine made 392 and it goes almost as quick as a 400bhp car honestly

HTH

dunx

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...-td05-20g.html

Last edited by dunx; 16 November 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:28 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
What are the capabilities of a 20G then on standard Fuel? I’m no expert by no means, but I’ve read plenty to believe that the standard Intake setup with a high performance filter will get me somewhere near 400bhp?!?
The 20g will get typically 340-390 hp. Adding methanol hits the 400 hp mark.

I don't agree with Shaun about induction kits/ intake hoses not needed for less than 400 hp from my experience. I couldn't get passed 350 hp without one.

People are getting confused about using pinks on normal fuel pressure and with using an FPR.
Pinks can be used for 400 hp but they would need about an extra 1 bar fuel pressure.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:43 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve / Dunx.

As stated above, im not fussed if i get less than 400, but we all have a little goal when upgrading the power output. I would be very happy with a rapid 370bhp car..... However without wanting to repeat myself, its only the 400bhp or there-abouts that im interested in with this thread, hence the budget is for this alone and not for making the car go round corners once accomplished. Im fully aware that there is a lot more to making the car come alive than just upping the power output, and Im sure sorting out the geometry, suspension, brakes, tyres, wheels etc will come after. I can fully understand whay folk do these before upping the power, but to be honest I wont be taking this car past the 400bhp ish marker so it can wait.

As for budget, Im guessing here but 2nd hand parts:
£500 - 20G
£300 - full decat
£071 - Walbro (lateral)
£060 - 3 port
£040 - Panel Filter
£300 - OS Map

£1271

full decat, MD or 20G, uprated panel filter, 3 port, walbro, remap. I also assume the current standard injectors are suffice as is the standard tmic and induction
Old 16 November 2010, 07:55 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

The 20g will get typically 340-390 hp. Adding methanol hits the 400 hp mark.

I don't agree with Shaun about induction kits/ intake hoses not needed for less than 400 hp from my experience. I couldn't get passed 350 hp without one.

People are getting confused about using pinks on normal fuel pressure and with using an FPR.
Pinks can be used for 400 hp but they would need about an extra 1 bar fuel pressure.
So the 20G will get somewhere near then, whereas a further £400 or so would purchase an MD that are more than capable of 400+ .

I would like to read some 400ish specs and bhp claims, as this injector situation seems a little odd.

Surely cars cannot vary by 50bhp from one car to another with simular intake setups Obviously all cars do vary, but are you sure the intake is the only draw back to you getting past 350bhp ? Ive read many MY01 - MY03 WRX owners hitting 370bhp with the a std STI tmic and induction, and this was only restricted due to the nature of the weaker WRX bottom end and tranny.

Last edited by Rob Day; 16 November 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Quickest way to 400bhp on a budget!