Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

The Gimp/ Stevesbluewrx 2002 STi - ** WARNING. LIKE MARMITE **

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2010, 08:27 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Gimp/ Stevesbluewrx 2002 STi - ** WARNING. LIKE MARMITE **

I kind of feel a little out of my depth in this section. But thought I'd post up what I have been doing over the past three years with my car.

Well where do I start? My previous MY2001 WRX was my pride and joy. Sadly through no fault of my own she was written off by some numpty pulling out on me on a dual carridgeway.

During all the two-ing and throwing I wasn't sure what I would get as a replacement. I was looking at all sorts of cars cars, Skylines,Supras,Impreza,Legacys even a BMW came to mind.

After thinking about it I decided to go with another Impreza. On the shortlist was P1,Type R's,modded UK2000's,MY2002 WRX and STi's and MY2003 WRX or STi's.

P1 & Type R was chalked off by the misses due to be 2 doors. So looked at Modded UK2000's but came to mind was the car was older than what I had. So then moved onto MY2003 WRX's and STi's. At the time second hand they were still holding value and what with being a father for the first time 1 month previous and two weeks after my WRX got trashed I looked at MY2002 STi's.

After trawling through many sites I thought I'd never find what I was looking for. The following day all of a sudden I came across a car I was sure I came across on here, Scoobynet. Sure enough it was. Had a few mods already AST's,Rear ARB,Forge DV,strut brace and ECUTEK software. So pretty good ground to start on.

Sent the guy (Paul) an email and got a reply pretty rapid. He advised me of his user name and sure enough it was the same car I adored on SN.
Now at the time the guy was in Thailand so had to speak with his Dad. Gave the Dad a call on the Thursday and arranged to meet on the Saturday in Great Yarmouth.

This is one of the add pictures.

So over in Great Yarmouth and after inspection fell in love with the car. Whilst we sat down to talk about a price etc two people called about it. I knew at this point I had to say YES or NO. So with the hand shake I agreed a price with the Dad and paid a deposit. Agreed to pick up the car the following Saturday.

After looking at the name on some receipts I noticed an address not far from here. In fact it was the car Bitto (forgot his user name now but was on most Subaru forums for years) had owned when he first purchased it to the UK from Malta. After sending him a message he advised me what he had done which was a lot in a short space of time.

The day of picking it up I thought my bad luck had struck again. No side lights working. After changing the fuses all was good. On the drive home it was for sure a joy. On the paper work it stated the car was running 332bhp and 330lbft. Because I was used to my previous Impreza I thought "Bloody hell this thing shifts".

After driving the car for a week and driving against other cars in similar power my car was falling back a little? Thought sod it. On the to do list.

Then on a Friday whilst off week 12 days after getting it I thought I give it a good clean with some of the Swissvax goodies. Spent almost 9 hours doing it. Decided I'd take it for a drive by the river and maybe get some photo's.

Whilst I was sat stationary this happened by a little **** faced **** coming the otherway doing 70mph in a 30mph zone!!

I was a ruined soul. On closer inspection the B pillar was pretty damage so feared the worst.

This happened in the June and due to the third parties insurance messing me around the car didn't go in for repair until July.

So after getting the car back late August or so the car felt different. Had a few noises that for sure wasn't there before. Car went back and spent a few further days being looked at. This was now September. I felt as though Subaru ownership and me were not meant to be. During it's second stint at Cheam for repairs the MOT had also been done. One note was "Leak rear section".

Also purchased a few bits for the car as a treat. New mats, Prodrive gear ****, battery clamp and oil cap.

Don't ask me why but this was the start of modding on the car here!! (at last I here you say).

September 2007 - I loved the sound of the Milltek exhaust on it but wanted something a little louder. So gave James at GRD a call and got a mid section and back box off of him.

October 2007 - Changed the Panel Filter to a Grp N TSL version.

November 2007 - I wanted another Exhaust. After hearing the sound of a WRC car I wanted something that sounded just like it. At the time Christian (WhiteNoise on SurreyScoobies) just purchased a new exhaust and it was the exhaust tone I wanted all this time.
So placed my order with Roger Clark Motorsport to get the Full 3" Team Ice system with sports cat.

With the help of Scogsy and Moomin (Both SurreyScoobies) this was done in pretty good timing as I was off to see Rally GB in the following couple of weeks. (Geek or what) The rest is history.lol

November 2007 - Brought a set of HID lights. To this very day they still have not been fitted and are in my garage. lol

November 2007 - Fitted new side light bulbs (Phillips blue vision) & new driving lights from Halfrauds (50% brighter)

November 2007 - Brought some chrome style rear bulbs for indicators etc from RCM (and a cheeky bottle of NF)

December 2007 - Brakes needed a little more bite. Called James at GRD and popped over to see him for Yellow Stuff pads all round. Massive difference the pads made.

December 2007 - Whilst at Rally GB and using the roads normally for Army trucks etc to park up a lud noise came from the front of the car? On hitting the main roads it felt as though I had a puncture. On inspection this wasn't the case. Got the car home from Wales and took it over to Cheam on the Monday.
Was advised the noise was coming from the o/s/f coilover.

January 2008 - Due to the car not feeling right and getting further knocking I took the car over to Curtis at Powerstation to check the AST coilovers. Was not good so needed a replacement shock and geo settings.
Whilst I was there I asked if it could be put on the rollers. I was shocked with the results to say the least.
310bhp - 290lbft!!!! Some way off of what I thought it was and should have been.

January 2008 - Wanted to get the TEIN bonnet lifters for ages but missed out on a group buy each time. Mart (SurreyScoobies) was selling a set as well as a Turbosmart DV so fitted them the following day.

February 2008 - After a few months I felt the car needed a major service so booked car in with Cheam Motors to carry major service with belts etc done. Not cheap but worth every penny. (Discs worn) Purchased some Aero Blades at the time too.

February 2008 - After looking around at replacement options I went for the Brembo Sport package with discs in drilled format.
Scogsy (SurreyScoobies) again was a gentleman and popped over to give us a hand (or should I say watched him) .

February 2008 - Seem as I was doing bits and bobs I thought I'd also change the brand of polish and wax. So made a massive order of Blackfire's range and again to this day this stuff is still the best stuff I have ever used.

June 2008 - As I had no fitting kit with the Turbosmart DV I got fed up with the vappour rails looking stupid on the IC so removed it and put the Forge VTA back on.

June 2008 - Hadn't spend anything on the car for a few months so treated myself to a Prodrive Diff guard and had it fitted whilst I waited at Cheam Motors.

June 2008 - After not knowing what I'd get out of the car but feeling it needed spicing up a little i decided to book the car in with Simon (JGM). Not knowing who had the rights etc to the Software I called Ecutek to ask them. When I told them a bit about the car and from previous invoices giving to me when Bitto first owned the car. I was suprised the guy remembered.

He advised me that the very car I owned was one of if not the first ever Newage STi to have the ECUTEK map loaded in the UK!! I was a little shocked to be honest etc.

So after tapping Simon up and rubbing his legs like little a rampant rabbit on speed Si transformed the car completely.

After the first run the car was even less powerful than I thought.......290bhp - 260lbft on SRR!!! Following Simon using his skills I left there with 312bhp - 296 lbft. Well happy.

July 2008 - Oil change at my sisters other halfs work. Castrol Magnatec 10W/40.

July 2008 - Purchased a Walbro 255 pump off of Teaforvicar (SurreyScoobies). Also purchased a new fuel filter etc. Our very own Penfold (aka Chris on SurreyScoobies) knew how to fit these from the past so over to his I went to enjoy a laugh and cup of tea.

July 2008 - Booked the car in with Simon (JGM) again following the changes. Including adding , 100mls of NF octane booster.
Left with the following 329.7bhp - 315lbft.

August 2008 - A very important month ahead with the Colin Mcrae Gathering at the end of the month. So wanted to get a few things done to the car.

August 2008 - After changing the discs earlier in the year I felt the biting point wasn't at it's best. So gave James a call at GRD for a full brake fluid change to AP Racing DOT 5.1.

August 2008 - Due to the current mods already on the car I felt it needed to be stepped up in the handling department still.
Went tp Powerstation and Curtis carried out the rest of the handling pack which would see me leave with the full Stage 3 handling pack.

Front 22mm ARB
Rear 24mm ARB
Rear Solid Drop links
Anti Lift Kit
HD rack bush kit
a GEO settings to match.
Also had the coilovers set and adjusted correctly after I titted around with them. D'oh.

August 2008 - Noticed a strong smell of fuel on my way to work one morning. Thought nothing of it until about three days after when the smell after filling up was so bad I almost threw up my chinese meal from lunch. Turned out to be the fuel pump seal gasket. Quick call to Gary over at Cheam and car booked in the following day for new gasket to be fitted. Result and not feeling sick everytime I drove.

August 2008 - The car looked good but not mustard. I enjoy cleaning my cars myself but felt that it needed a treat. So had Matt Neame (Scoobynet) from 2clearbuckets give the car a detail a day before the Mcrae Gathering.

August 2008 - Mcrae Gathering. Well, have to admit was a very good day. The passing on the M40 and having them people cheer you on from the sides of the roads and motorways and most of all those brave souls on the top of the bridges. What a day.
I then managed to find myself being the front page fronting the Mcrae Gathering on the TOP GEAR US and Australian website so even after the and filth off the road got on my **** after Matt's hard work a part of me thought it made up for it.
(The link doesn't work anymore but I am hoping Bandit (SurreyScoobies) still has the picture on his laptop he can send me to add to this thread?)

September 2008 - Was driving down to the land of the mighty football club (AFC Bournemouth) with the boy when coming off motorway noticed a very odd vibration and knocking noise. Carried on but the slower I went the worse the car felt? Had a look under the car and nothing visable. Asked my sister who was with me to drive the car slowly in first to see if a stone or something had wedged in the groove of the tyre but not knowing my car she hit the loud pedal to hard and made me half death.
Knowing I had a long-ish trip back with my little man in the car gave Fat Boy (Dave Beck) a bell to see if he had the details of Triton in Christchurch. Popped over to Trtion and even though they heard the noise couldn't work it out. Wasn't charged by them for an hours worth of there time too. Result but gave them beer tokens.

October 2008 - From the result of the problems I needed this looked at as it was becoming more frequant. Booked it in with Curtis who replaced the n/s/r strut and new geo. Also added rear risers for the rear coilovers.

November 2008 - The noise of the Forge VTA was starting to drive me a little mad so made a choice to go back to Recirc but with a Forge Recirc DV.

November 2008 - Purchased some new NGK grade 7 plugs and some Silkolene Pro S 5W/40 oil.

December 2008 - Booked the car in with Cheam to carry out Oil change and plug change. Sorted.

December 2008 - Booked the car in again with Simon (JGM) to remap the old girl with the new plugs,oil,100mls NF,Oil but still on pretty much the same set up as before.
Results were 332.5bhp & 312 lbft. The car also felt a lot better to drive too maybe going to recirc was the key?

January 2009 - Not a great deal. At the time things were rocky at work and with my second child on the way didn't want to do anything until I was sure..........

January 2009 - Hitting a fox at 60mph isn't good news for your front bumper. bugger.

Febuary 2009 - Bollocks, carried on with the mods.

Febuary 2009 - Managed to get hold of a Bugeye Prodrive front bumper with fog lamps. Just needed preping and painting but was on the to do list.

Febuary 2009 - Purchased a BAR boost gauge. After thinking about where I was going to put it Knobby (WRXMike SurreyScoobies) fitted my gauge for me in my drivers vent as he had done to his. Difference in being mine worked. lol

Febuary 2009 - After attending the Sunseeker Rally on my way home having some fun with Lee's (Mass SurreyScoobies) EVO III his car seemed to be pulling a lot better than mine even though his car wasn't putting out the power mine was. Hmmmmmmmm I thought.

March 2009 - Got fed up of the power I had and fancied a change. After thinking of what I wanted to do and was right to do I thought about it and with some great input from Simon (JGM) Dill H (SurreyScoobies) , Mark (Lateral Performance) ,Scogsy (SurreyScoobies), James/Aaron (GRD) & Bod (TFS / SurreyScoobies)

I went for the following mod.

MD321T (58mm inlet) and ceramic coated housing
3 Bolt GT Spec Headers with heat wrap)
Fuelab FPR 2 port
Also purchased via GRD was a Hyperflow CAIK.

And fresh bedding to sleep on the sofa.

March 2009 - Scogsy (SurreyScoobies) did me a very good price with fitting all the mods whilst I was at work on nights. When I couldn't help Scogs , Mike (WRXMike SurreyScoobies) spent his time with Scogsy eating and doing what they were doing?

April 2009 - Booked in with Simon (JGM) again for a back rub and map. Was very pleased with the results but felt as though I was letting the Turbo's power capability down.

402.5bhp & 359lbft.

550's were pretty much maxed out at 96% . So something I was going to get was new injectors.

May 2009 - Was about time I changed the Oil so after speaking with Guy at Opie Oils went for Silkolene Pro S 10w/50. Carried out the oil changed a couple of days prior to JAPFEST 09.

May 2009 - JAPFEST 2009 trade stands brought some light weight wheel nuts and cold air feed to try and put this Prodrive bumper on with CAIK intake via the fog lamp.

June 2009? Purchased a second hand set of fog lamp covers to carry out the cold air intake.

June 2009 - With the birth of my second child I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the car? After speaking with my misses she told me it was silly to get shot of it at the stage it had come to and due to her being off work I could use her car more often saving a few pennys on running costs etc.
So with this I booked the car in for it's treat. So got in contact with Paul at Race Valeting (Now Hampshire Detailing (I think?) and had a full correction detail done.

Wonderful service and a pleasure to deal with. Write up below.
http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=31477

Spetember 2009 - Whilst on my way back from Rallyday I was giving it some beans with an Tommi Evo. Noticed some more movement from the engine back and gearbox than I had done normally. So after reading up on SCoobyNet and speaking with Moley (SurreyScoobies and any other forum the **** is on) I went ahead a got myself some

Hardrace
Engine
Gearbox
& Pitcher
Got in contact with TFS Racing and Stew (TFS/SurreyScoobies) fitted them one evening before I went to work.

Straight away the mounts could be noticed. Stiffer and more vibration from the rigidness.

Novemeber 2009 - Noticed a couple of times the car felt sluggish and not 100% .With the help of Mike (SurreyScoobies)checking a few bits and bobs thought it would be worth changing the MAF. So by chance CJ (SouthEastScoobies) had one spare so purchased his old one off him. Car straight away felt alot smoother and mostly not drinking fuel like Olly Reid did.

December 2009 - Noticed mostly in the winter mornings the smell of fuel coming from the drivers side by the dash. Checked a few bits and bobs and couldn't see anything.
After reading up on ScoobyNet and NASIOC about the problem I needed to replace the fuel hoses on the rails as they had expanded in the winter due to worn rubber hoses.

January - 2010 So with the winter in full swing and knowing my misses was due to go back to work in the new year I had a choice of if to go for OEM fuel hoses from a Blobeye or go Parallel rails.
As I knew the turbo intake pipe would be easy to get to once the manifold came off I thought also about changing that too.
I then thought about changing the air filter on my CAIK to a Green cone version. Whilst on that I toyed with a few other ideas.
After a week of calculating the sums up I went for the following mods.

Lateral Performance turbo intake pipe.
Lateral Performance thermal spacers
RCM manifold bolts as they spacers would increase the height on the heads by 11mm.
Braided fuel lines
Parallel rail mod
Throttle body coolant delete
DV Delete
Catch Can

With the help of Mike (SurreyScoobies) during me working nights and his days off we managed to do the car over a few days. Wasn't easy as the rain and cold took it's toll on us but a few trips to the local garage for Monster energy drinks and couple of trips to the local pub sorted that out.
Scogsy (SurreyScoobies) came over to help with the Catch Can pipe work and fitting.

Job complete. Just needed another remap.........

I also decided to get my Prodrive bumper and fog lights sprayed. So spoke with Norm (SurreyScoobies) and took the bumper over to him. Turn around was 4 days so very good. The finish was bloody good.
So fitted that one Saturday afternoon. Looked great. (Photos are somewhere).

February 2010 - Booked the car in with JGM once more. I wanted to do something different as I was finding it pricey using NF Octane booster.
So placed an order for some methanol.
Did a couple of runs on neat V power off boost. Then took the car over to JGM for a remap.

Car made 411.5bhp & 375lbft so pretty good even on a TMIC. But sadly was told my clutch was slipping on the rollers so needed a new clutch. Bugger!!

Car was fine for a week until one day on the M3 motorway not giving it any beans the engine light came up. Took it easy until I got home to check the fault code. And thought delete it but take it easy. This deleted the code but the following day the car kept cutting out and hunting on idle.
After some helpful advice on SurreyScoobies and ScoobyNet I took the car over to Simon (JGM). No problems showing on AFR etc so was a little baffled.
Car ran like this for the whole of Feb so was not happy.

March 2010 - With the latter still being an issue I had to do something as it was drinking fuel like George Best and Olly Reed at your local. So purchased a New Lambda sensor pre turbo and new MAF. Not cheap!!! Also changed the gaskets to heads to manifold as myself and Mike did bend them a little by wearing them as glasses after a few pints of Stella during the manifold off stage.
Took the car over to Simon (JGM) and again everything was fine on the readings but the car kept cutting out still. Simon (JGM) advised that it was likely to be the ECU not being able to ready the air intake and then being forced out but the DV delete via the cone filter quick enough confusing the ECU making the car run funnng by compensating etc. So that was food for thought.

April 2010 - With above still causing me bother I went for the another ECU. But what one? Simtek or Solaris/Syvecs???

With this I had to think about if this was the case a new clutch was a must and would I stick with the TMIC?

A few things went through my mind. A) Costs B) Costs C) How much and where? lol

Made a few inquiries and managed to get hold of a Helix Clutch with uprated clamp on the Organic set up for everyday use From Alan (Engine Tuner).
Mike (SurreyScoobies) and a good friend of his managed to pop the clutch in whilst I was on nights and Mike (SurreyScoobies) managed to knock himself out in the process. Tit.

I decided to ditch the TMIC in favour for a Hybrid FMIC. This proved to be a mission upon a mission.
Good bit of kit but what **** instructions. Mike (SurreyScoobies) came over to give me a hand with the bumper (one of the hardest things I've had to do is cut it up for the FMIC) I was being me and being a girl so I couldn't watch. Just lit a ciggie,sipped a coffee with the odd look over my shoulder.

After looking at the instructions we couldn't work it out. Spoke to Bandit (SurreyScoobies)who kindly offered to be a gent and give me a hand fitting the pipe work. Again following the instructions we couldn't work it out.
I was getting to the stage of where it was looking like I wasn't going to have enough time to bed the clutch in ready for a new ECU remap with JGM.

I tried contacting Harvey who I purchased the kit from but sadly he was unwell at the time so couldn't assist.

I posted up on ScoobyNet and some bloke kindly sent me a email off his own back with pictures of the pipes and where THEY SHOULD go. Thanks again Casters!!! I owe you a drink.
Mike (SurreyScoobies) popped over after work and we managed to fit it in around 2 hrs!!! Unreal.

So bumper on.......clutch needing to be bedded in and jobs a good'n!!

May 2010 - Knowing the car was due a map I had a few things to resolve in a short space of time with work and family.

So off boost managed to bed the clutch in with almost 156miles of A road driving off boost with the FMIC .

Then when to see Simon (JGM) for a remap on a SIMTEK ECU. The reason was not hard. Price was a factor but also I think the Syvecs would have been an over kill for my use of the car.
Like anyone who has done work to there car. Spent a lot of money and time you go to the Rollers with a result in your head be it good or bad. In my head I was hoping for 430 bhp 380/390 lbft mark .

I asked Simon if I could have the following fitted on the Simtek
Anti Lag
Launch Control
Switchable MAP settings 95ron/97ron.

After a few moments of me looking at the screen at Surrey Rolling Road and pacing at times thinking GREAT results!! The car kept going for more runs and the results were going up and up and up!!!

I managed to leave Surrey Rolling Road with 453.0bhp & 386lbft!!!! Was shocked!

On the test drive with Simon (JGM) I was suprised how much better the car felt on the Simtek ECU over a EcuTek ECU. Whilst doing a few spirited runs Simon said to me leave it in 3rd and come off the pedal........he then lent over to switch my Anti Lag on.........HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. We both sounded like little kids for a few moments (I'm sure I touched the pedal again to make sure)
I'd like to thank all those that have helped me get to the stage of where I am. Without these people I wouldn't be where I am now with the car.
Also thanks to these people that I have managed to spent time with my kids too rather than spending all my time in the garage under a car etc.

So Thanks again guys.

BIG BIG thanks to Mike (WRX Mike SurreyScoobies) . He has been a star over hte last few years and had call after call off of me asking for help and assistance. Bless him. Cheers mate.
So is this the final chapter? Hmmmmmmm hard to say? I want to do a few other things to the car but at the moment I have exhausted my passions for the time being and with getting Married next year I need to think ahead.

Thanks for reading.
Me,The Gimp aka Steve

To be continued? ..............
Old 07 May 2010, 08:33 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

you got some memory!!!!!! you've had your share of bad luck.........
Old 07 May 2010, 08:42 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
you got some memory!!!!!! you've had your share of bad luck.........
I feel like "This one time at band camp".

Steve
Old 07 May 2010, 08:49 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

going through a bit of the same myself mate, great that you kept the chin up, and won, bugs are the new classics and deserve to be, get some more pics up
Old 07 May 2010, 08:56 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

I think the purchase of that front bumper was a great idea
Old 07 May 2010, 09:27 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blumming heck that is a write up and a half !

Awesome result - great to see the figures coming up on the screen at the various boost levels and of course good to meet you.
Old 07 May 2010, 09:27 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blumming heck that is a write up and a half !

Awesome result - great to see the figures coming up on the screen at the various boost levels and of course good to meet you.
Old 07 May 2010, 09:47 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Duncan. I was in a world of my own at the time. Watching and waiting I almost forgot where I was at times.

Andy, your right mate. It was sat in the garage for almost a year before I started doing anything to it. Thanks again for the great price on the bumper.

Steve
Old 07 May 2010, 09:52 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

I know!!

I still keep looking for a pic of the car with it on!!
Old 07 May 2010, 11:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up Steve, blimey have we really met that many times (on a professional level lol)

Simon
Old 08 May 2010, 12:27 AM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Thats a good write up of the history of your Bug, interesting to see what difference the mods have made to the car
Old 08 May 2010, 04:56 AM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

I managed to leave Surrey Rolling Road with 453.0bhp & 386lbft!!!! Was shocked!
Pics or it didn't happen
Old 08 May 2010, 08:39 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Very nice write up Steve, blimey have we really met that many times (on a professional level lol)

Simon
Ark at you. On a professional level? So that's what you call it. I thought I was the one. You told me enough times whilst touching my legg as I ran my hair through Charlies hair..........anyway. Yes mate. Only once did we say to each other I LOVE YOU.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 08 May 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08 May 2010, 08:41 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by typeRv4
Pics or it didn't happen
As requested. Not the best of pics. I still haven't replaced my scanner after the boy thought he'd use it as a step.

Make of what you will from the graph. Personally it's great to drive as a everyday motor.

Steve
Old 08 May 2010, 08:56 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Nice little write up there Steve. I rememeber the car when Paul Gooda owned it. Always liked it. Sounds like you've done some nice work to it over the years.

Get some current pics up. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 08 May 2010, 08:59 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey.

I would post pics but, she hasn't been washed since...............errrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm......... November!!!! lol

Hope to find a bit of time next weekend to do it then take some pics.

Steve
Old 08 May 2010, 09:27 AM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Nice little write up there Steve. I rememeber the car when Paul Gooda owned it. Always liked it. Sounds like you've done some nice work to it over the years.

Get some current pics up. Looking forward to hearing more.

I thought i recognised the car.

lovelly machine mate and good write up.
Looks like you`v had some bad luck in the past fella
Old 09 May 2010, 09:45 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Ark at you. On a professional level? So that's what you call it. I thought I was the one. You told me enough times whilst touching my legg as I ran my hair through Charlies hair..........anyway. Yes mate. Only once did we say to each other I LOVE YOU.

Steve
I only mentioned the proffesional meetings, the others.. well I wasn't going to post about Gimpy!

;0

Simon
Old 09 May 2010, 05:30 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

cool write up mate alot of time and stress went into the car by the sound of it . and the power is pretty sweet now .
Old 09 May 2010, 05:34 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

With luck like yours most people would have given up and bought an astra, but all credit for sticking with it. It looks like a minter and what you've done and where you've got it is nothing short of awesome. Just sit back and enjoy
Old 13 May 2010, 09:09 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mags and Jon.

Not been easy I must admit. Part of the reason my misses has been pushing me to get married. lol

Hope to make it to a MSOC meet at some point soon.

Steve
Old 26 May 2010, 09:50 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

hi steve just wondering if you can post up some fresh pics of how the car is now espicially of the front mount.wink wink.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:27 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

just read this thread mate and wow some read mate, glad you got the results you were after and when i seen the car @ surrey RR it looked and sounded

any further plans on the cards steve ??? or just enjoying it as it is ?

Old 31 May 2010, 08:27 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
hi steve just wondering if you can post up some fresh pics of how the car is now espicially of the front mount.wink wink.
Will take some soon matey. Washed the car Friday so looks a lot better.

Originally Posted by catalunya 172
just read this thread mate and wow some read mate, glad you got the results you were after and when i seen the car @ surrey RR it looked and sounded

any further plans on the cards steve ??? or just enjoying it as it is ?

Hey mate, thank you. Would love to have done like the work you did on yours but sadly I won't have the time or stop myself from getting the hump.

In terms of nthe future plans..........nothing at the moment. Just want to enjoy the car for a little while. Well for as longs as I can. I'm getting married next year and now the car is at a stage where I want it all my money is going on the wedding.

Think seeing how things go I'll go 2.1 or 2.5 but again will see what happens mate.

But if my misses goes off with the Postman like she keeps saying then project Gimp will be back under way.

Steve
Old 01 July 2010, 06:20 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

continued..........

June 2010 - Noticed the engine temps and fans getting a little hot and fans kicking in a little bit more often. Also with the power being a little bit more and using meth on the car recently thought I'd change the oil.

So purchased the following.
Zero Sport Thermostat (From Mark at Lateral Performance)
Silkolene Pro S 10w / 50 oil (From Opie Oils)

Due to work couldn't find time to do it so called Stew at TFS Racing and he said pop it over. Top man and great service at short notice.
With this done noticed the engine running a little bit cooler and fans not kicking so much.

Also noticed on the Simtek the cold start idle was being a nightmare and had problems at 1,700 / 1,900 & 2,900 rpm's with the car stuttering. So called the old bean Simon (JGM) to smooth it out for me. TO which he has. Top man.

Late last year some tit at work broke my drivers wing mirror. No one admitted to it but hey. So after getting my mate Norm (SurreyScoobies) to get them painted at work now fitted a set of Blobeye wing mirrors.
I wasn't too aware that the glass is a few mm bigger on the Blobeye but so glad I have put them on as I can see more out of them. Weird.

Have just purchased the following to fit on the car for July.
Oil Temp gauge
Booked car in for a full paint correction with Hampshire Vehicle Detailing (formally Race Valeting).
Single Din pocket.

Hope to keep an eye on temps as I am playing the guessing game at present with warm up etc. Not a good idea in this weather but want to be sure.

Paint work and panels have been punished with the work on the car over the course of the winter and early this year. My fault for not washing the car since Novemeber too so hope Paul at Hampshire Vehicle Detailing can make them look a little better.

Hope to fit a new set of speakers and head unit. ICE isn't my thing but feel it's time to change the head unit (who since 1999 would put a tape deck on a car still? lol). Also need to add my Parrot car kit that has been sat in my garage for 2 years. D'oh.

Need to also sort out my exhaust system. Noticed my exhaust was blowing (not easy when you have the RCM Team Ice full system). Resolved it and was fine for a few days until I was out enjoying a Sunday drive and switched the Anti Lag on. Got home and noticed it was blowing again. D'oh!!!

Maybe it's time for a change in exhaust and have something slip jointed and Track Day friendly?

July 2010...................to be continued.

Steve
Old 01 July 2010, 06:06 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

keep going bruv youve started so you have to finish lol,just fitted a parrot kit to my scooby trust me when you fit it you will be saying where have you been all my life,its like electric windows you cant live without them once you have them,plus the sound quality of the parrot is top notch.
Old 02 July 2010, 06:39 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey. I'm not going to be doing much else at the mo. Getting married early next year for my sins and what with the current work climate need to take it easy.

Glad to hear the parrot kit you have works well. It's been sat in my garage gathering dust for two years or so. Not sure I'll hear much with the RCM exhaust however but worth a bash lol

Will add some more photo's soon. Just been lazy with being David Bailey of late.

Steve
Old 04 July 2010, 06:03 PM
bignorm
Scooby Newbie

Nice paint job on the front bumper and mirror's mate
Old 25 July 2010, 12:21 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bignorm
Nice paint job on the front bumper and mirror's mate
Hello mate.

Steve
Old 25 July 2010, 12:33 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

July 2010 - Fitted oil temp gauge. Once thing that I noticed which was odd. When I didn't have the oil temp gauge fitted I was playing the guessing game of when the oil was up to full temps and when I could drive the car on boost etc.

I was suprised to see that the oil temp didn't come up to approx 70 around 1.5miles later into my trip. Geeky maybe but just thought I'd add that.

Been to a few meets of late and seeing all the different styles people have I now think I want another set of alloys. Been looking at Maggys (MSOC) new wheels on his car and really like them and in that colour. So now need to work out what I want to spend and what alloys to get.

Looking into getting a new head unit,speakers and get my Parrot car kit added. Not really a fan of massive ICE so just something more updated and speakers that can take the odd bit abuse.

The car was also given a nice clean and light polish by Hampshire Valeting. Much needed and even though the weather has changed slightly with a bit of rain on it's first clean since getting it back has made the paintwork easier to clean.

Noticed the MPG on the Tesco fuel is alot worse than using the V-Power and V-Power and Meth mix. Made the car idle funny on Tesco too? Maybe they have changed something in the addatives?

August ...................to be continued.

Steve

Quick Reply: The Gimp/ Stevesbluewrx 2002 STi - ** WARNING. LIKE MARMITE **