Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you test seatbelts?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2002, 09:02 AM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been told that to test the seatbelts in an STI7 you should proceed down the motorway in 5th gear at about 80mph and then stuff it in second to see if the belts work.

Is this true.

Apparently AndyO and Dom swear by this method.
Old 09 April 2002, 09:19 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thats because they are both muppets...

Just drive down the motorway and do about 70 slam on the brakes (make sure no-one is behind you of course) and then if your belt doesn't cut you in half, then I would say they work...

Not being funny but thats what happen to my best friend a few years back ... he was in a crash and his seat belt cut him in half .... thats why I never wear one.....
Old 09 April 2002, 09:50 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

RAOFLMAO

Mark - this is a joke, based on something that happened on Sunday at the Sussex meet - you had to have been there to know what happened, and the stick Dom got (sorry about your friend though).
Old 09 April 2002, 09:56 AM
ago2
Scooby Regular

Whilst doing this the passenger is biting his fingernails and looking at £ signs, as well as cogs and oil lying in the road behind them!!!!!

Seriously it was only for the first 20 gear changes!!!!

Andy
Old 09 April 2002, 09:57 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Andy got of of the car looking quite white (thinking "I knew I should have let Kim drive instead ), whilst Dom was muttering to himself about taking advanced driving courses
Old 09 April 2002, 10:07 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL

It was actually only 4 changes... ONLY, ha

At one point I actually pulled into the left lane and said to Andy "thats is i'm not trying to change gear again, we can drive all the way in second!"

To be fair though, once you get used to the box it's ok. Still wouldn't want to drive it very quickly without having it for an hour first...
Old 09 April 2002, 10:08 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mark, Annabelle said it was because it wouldn't fit round your belly?
Old 09 April 2002, 10:34 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

A sharp tug will show that the locking mechanism is working. Short of driving into a wall at 30mph, there's not much else you can do.

Not being funny but thats what happen to my best friend a few years back ... he was in a crash and his seat belt cut him in half .... thats why I never wear one.....
I hate to say this, but try to imagine what state he would have been if he hadn't been wearing one. Before seatbelts were compulsory, you would get the most horrific face & chest injuries from quite minor accidents as people were flung forward onto the steering wheel & windscreen. Yes, in a severe accident, the seatbelt does cause injuries, but the alternative is usually death without one.

It's also a little known fact that Princess Diana would have most likely survived her fatal accident (admittedly with some broken bones) had she been wearing a seat-belt.