New to the scooby scene.

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2010, 09:09 PM
DazzaClio
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the scooby scene.

Hi,

As the title im new to the scooby scene and would like some advice please.

Im currently looking at Subaru Impreza Turbo Uk model 1999 now is there anythink i should be looking out for or any common problems or faults?

Thanks
Old 13 November 2010, 09:29 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,

listen carefully for gearbox whine / noises
and engine noises

and make sure its got good history if it aint got good history it probaly int a good car
Old 13 November 2010, 09:33 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

Welcome, standard stuff you would look at on a 11 YO car, what sort of mileage is it? any modifications?

A link to an advert would be useful and we could give it a once over.

Just wanted to have a little laugh at the use of "scene".

Last edited by lazadude; 13 November 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Cant count at this time of night on a sat :/
Old 13 November 2010, 09:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bodywork:-
Check for rust on the rear arches, if its entrenched then its rear quarters and those are 1000 quid from a dealer, worst case scenario, cheaper if you catch it early (ie small bubbles and very small area coverage).
Also rust by the windscreen/rear window, will require a respray.
Mechanically, diffs can go, gearboxes are normally not too bad but 5th was notorious for not being torqued up correctly on the MY99/00 cars, if its popping out of gear then it could be this or a weak 5th syncro.
Engines are normally ok, they require good maintenance and a few quirky ways of doing things otherwise they can go pop
Tired oil pumps are a problem which can lead to engine failure, DONT use engine flush on these.
Clutch judder is common due to the clutch material, I had it back in 2001 on my MY00 and that had about 10k on the clock
Try to find a nicely unmodified example, not very quick in real terms, a PPP'd one is better, ones with aircon are worth hunting for as A/C was a 1k extra.
Brake calipers can stick with age, and they are not the best stoppers in the world tbh.
I would recommend an inspection on one your after buying, keep to fairly standard models with full service history and you shouldnt go too far wrong

Tony
Old 13 November 2010, 09:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a buying guide here :-

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/impreza-checklist.html

Tony
Old 13 November 2010, 11:22 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Bodywork:-
Check for rust on the rear arches, if its entrenched then its rear quarters and those are 1000 quid from a dealer, worst case scenario, cheaper if you catch it early (ie small bubbles and very small area coverage).
Also rust by the windscreen/rear window, will require a respray.
Mechanically, diffs can go, gearboxes are normally not too bad but 5th was notorious for not being torqued up correctly on the MY99/00 cars, if its popping out of gear then it could be this or a weak 5th syncro.
Engines are normally ok, they require good maintenance and a few quirky ways of doing things otherwise they can go pop
Tired oil pumps are a problem which can lead to engine failure, DONT use engine flush on these.
Clutch judder is common due to the clutch material, I had it back in 2001 on my MY00 and that had about 10k on the clock
Try to find a nicely unmodified example, not very quick in real terms, a PPP'd one is better, ones with aircon are worth hunting for as A/C was a 1k extra.
Brake calipers can stick with age, and they are not the best stoppers in the world tbh.
I would recommend an inspection on one your after buying, keep to fairly standard models with full service history and you shouldnt go too far wrong

Tony

Definately what Tony said.......