Old 12 November 2010, 11:22 AM
colin182
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello - first post here, need some advice

Hi all,

Just signed up today. Looking for some advice on the following car:

http://www.mhmotorsltd.com/?p=6496

Basically I currently drive a Clio 182, and would love to change to something with more space - I do a lot of mountain biking. This caught my eye. I'm looking for something unmodified, all the usual requirements I guess.

So, this particular car, what do I need to look out for if I go to view it? Anything else I really need be aware of? I tried to find a buyers guide on here, but with no luck....

Cheers

Colin
Old 12 November 2010, 12:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

It looks a good motor to me from the pics other than the rear discs look a little unused/rusty. A minor thing relly.
The exhaust appears to be Prodrive so it may have PPP [Prodrive Performance Pack] which would be a bonus.
I would just do the usual HPI/Accident checks, ensure the FSH is as it says and check all mechanical parts and tyres etc.
From my experience, these cars are bullet proof and there are no 'weak points' as long as they have been treated ok then they last without any problems.
Old 12 November 2010, 12:05 PM
colin182
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Rob, appreciate your reply. I'm heading up to have a look at it today. I always assume that dealers are dumb, so how else can I confirm it has the PPP pack?

Will run an HPI on it now, thanks again

Colin
Old 12 November 2010, 12:14 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Look out for crash repairs, very important on an Impreza as so many are indeed crash repaired.

Check the service history, who is it done by? are the dates and mileages consistent? anything missing from the history?

That car looks like it has a Prodrive back box, so may have a PPP fitted, which is Prodrive Performance Pack, giving the car around 260bhp instead of its original 225bhp.

Look at the brake discs and pads, any lips on the front discs? How much life left in the pads, look at their thickness.

Are all the tyres the same make and equally worn? You really need the same type of tyre per axle.

Greg
Old 12 November 2010, 02:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Do all the usual mate, as i'm sure you would any other car. Let it sit on tick over until the fans have come in and gone off, at the same time making sure the heaters are working correctly. The coolent temp gauge should not go much over half. Under the bonnet, there should be no 'unusual' noises, rattles, tapping etc.

On the test drive, a good long one, (I was gone over an hour. I had the M4 to go at). Get it well up to temp, then kick the **** out of it in all gears. No point in ***** footing about on the test drive, because you will give it some beans at some piont in the future, and it's better it goes bang before you part with your hard earnt.

Mine is my first petrol turbo and i got a good one, just through common sense buying and a lot of reading prior to viewing. I think it was the 5th car i had looked at, (mixture of Evos and Scoobs) so there is no need to buy the first one you see. Plenty about.

Let us know how you get on.

ps don't forget, IT'S A BUYERS MARKET.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:18 PM
colin182
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for all the replies.

Didn't get to see the car today, apparently this garage is selling it for a friend of the owner as a favour, and isn't accepting trade-ins on it. He wasn't interested in taking my 182 anyway.

Will be putting the 182 up for sale over the weekend, so will see how the responses go from it.

Thanks again

Colin