Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - looking to buy an Impreza STI (bug eye 2002 ish)

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2010, 02:53 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - looking to buy an Impreza STI (bug eye 2002 ish)

Hi all,

Just joined, so hello hello hello from Aberdeen, Scotland

Just after a bit of advise really from all of those you have done what I'm looking to do in the next while.

I drive a Clio 172 Cup at the moment, having gone from a Meg 225 Trophy with a Fastchip remap -which was fast, but tbh the Cup is the more fun car and not much slower at all when ragged. Anyone had experience of these cars and how they will compare performance wise with a standard STI, and an STI prodrive?

Ideally I'll buy an STI with a prodrive pack (2002 plate ish), but I'm wondering if I can't get a hold of one of them, is it a reasonable idea to go for a plain STI and mod or should I hold out for an prodrive?

how much would it cost and what would I need to do get an STI on par or above with an STI prodrive? I've not driven an STI Prodrive, but I believe the power delivery is quite fun (not sure if this is because is comes in all at once, or that it holds the power to the red line - my 225 annoyed me cause it ran out of puff before hitting red line) - however if I got a plain STI, after modding I'd like if poss to keep a nice/fun power delivery.

Thanks guys

Justin
Old 05 November 2010, 03:35 PM
Oh-Flock
Master Flocker

depends on which prodrive package has been added.

i for instance have a ppp sti on a my03 blobeye

my car has the prodrive suspension and came with the ppp ecu and exhaust system giving it a suposed 300bhp

depending on what you want to do to the car in the future will help you decide if you need a prodrive car or not

i have so far added a 3" exhaust to mine as well as a sc46 turbo and aps intercooler so the ppp ecu has been remapped and theirfore is not really ppp anymore

ps mine is up for sale if you fancy a newer shape
Old 05 November 2010, 06:21 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Justin, don't worry about the PPP, if you find the right STi just buy it and get it mapped yourself, it will make a much better car for around £350 ish!
Old 05 November 2010, 06:33 PM
kz-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oh-Flock
my car has the prodrive suspension and came with the ppp ecu and exhaust system giving it a suposed 300bhp
Is the suspension made by TEIN?
Old 05 November 2010, 06:35 PM
Oh-Flock
Master Flocker

Originally Posted by kz-scoob
Is the suspension made by TEIN?

no idea to be honest just know it has prodrive springs
Old 06 November 2010, 12:40 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ste_brough
Justin, don't worry about the PPP, if you find the right STi just buy it and get it mapped yourself, it will make a much better car for around £350 ish!
Cheers ste_brough. That gives me something to think about So a simple remap for £350 should see me with over 300bhp? But do you know how the power delivery would compare with a ppp sti? I only ask because after I remapped my 225 megane, yeh there was more power, but i swear it was only in mid range torque and the power died off before you hit the redline. Would I have to get a sports cat and filter to avoid the same happening? CHeers
Old 06 November 2010, 12:44 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Std cars don't thrive at high revs...

Mine once mapped pulled to the limiter like crazy !

HTH

dunx
Old 06 November 2010, 01:01 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dunx
Std cars don't thrive at high revs...

Mine once mapped pulled to the limiter like crazy !

HTH

dunx
Cheers Dunx,

where did you get your's remapped? Did you need to do anything else other than remap? I'd prob be looking to use Andy Forrest in Glasgow..

Cheers,
Justin
Old 06 November 2010, 02:02 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i wonder if this is the guy who rang me last night? offering a renault?? in scotland?? then decided to hang up laughing

i had the same problem matey,, had to be a prodrive im affraid,, so much more to them,, a standard sti is 261bhp were as the prodrives are 305bhp

standard sti might make 300 bhp ish, with a map £400 ish.
prodrive sti might make 330-340 ish, with a map £400 ish

the prodrive is better looking, handles better, revs better, has more power & more desirable.

IMO you can find a prodrive for same money as a standard sti if you look hard enough
Old 06 November 2010, 04:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard Bug STi, Bug STi Prodrive Style and the Prodrive Performance Pack ones are mechanically identical (OK the PPP has different exhaust).

The Prodrive Style is more desirable as it was a lilited edition (especially the black) but the changes were cosmetic. The £1600 that the Performance pack cost has been lost in the mists of time......... Unless you specifically want the Prodrive style then just find the best looked after bug STi you can for the money and take it from there

Shaun
Old 06 November 2010, 04:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Many years ago Richard Bulmer mapped mine with an up-rated fuel pump and a sports catted TSL exhaust system.

He managed an easy 340 bhp, loads of torque and "she" pulled like a train right up to the limiter, (when required), and it felt superb.

Times move on, and the cost now is way lower, Andy.F. will be happy to advise, he even gave me advice whilst trying to compete at Elvington

Now running a 400+ bhp rated turbo and she's astonishing.

IMHO.

dunx
Old 06 November 2010, 06:10 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rapid.STI
i wonder if this is the guy who rang me last night? offering a renault?? in scotland?? then decided to hang up laughing
What a cokc mate You'll get all types of idiot calling you until a genuine buyer comes along I found. That said your car is priced right and has been looked after, the last two bugs at the money went very quickly on Pistonheads.
Old 06 November 2010, 06:18 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

What a cokc mate You'll get all types of idiot calling you until a genuine buyer comes along I found. That said your car is priced right and has been looked after, the last two bugs at the money went very quickly on Pistonheads.
im not saying it was this guy?? just a coincidence?? no hard feelings tho just strol it out floyd,, if ya have another car for now theres no rush for buying the sti you want,, just take ya time and choose wisely! i spent months looking, in the end i thought id let fate decide and im more than glad with what i ended up with
Old 06 November 2010, 06:22 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

im not saying it was this guy?? just a coincidence?? no hard feelings tho just strol it out floyd,, if ya have another car for now theres no rush for buying the sti you want,, just take ya time and choose wisely! i spent months looking, in the end i thought id let fate decide and im more than glad with what i ended up with
Oh no I know you weren't saying it was the OP I just meant the guy who called you sounded like a........
Old 06 November 2010, 06:41 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Oh no I know you weren't saying it was the OP I just meant the guy who called you sounded like a........
just dint want the op to get the wrong inpression of the site & and plp.. hows the car search coming on floyd?
Old 06 November 2010, 08:03 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

just dint want the op to get the wrong inpression of the site & and plp.. hows the car search coming on floyd?
Just about over the line with a car mate 1 owner, full Subaru history etc.
Old 06 November 2010, 08:46 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem matey,, had to be a prodrive im affraid,, so much more to them,, a standard sti is 261bhp were as the prodrives are 305bhp

standard sti might make 300 bhp ish, with a map £400 ish.
prodrive sti might make 330-340 ish, with a map £400 ish
interesting quote
what is the difference of the shelf which would gain the extra bhp
surley by adding better exhaust the standard sti would basicllay become a prodrive

or is there other things performance wise added to the prodrive sti
Old 06 November 2010, 09:13 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See my post number 10..........all UK bug STi's left the factory mechanically identical, everything else done (Prodrive style, PPP) was an aftermarket addition.

There is no such animal as a "Prodrive STi"........

Shaun
Old 06 November 2010, 09:31 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

i was only asking as i have a prodrive style and have full 3" system and decat and its been mapped by AF and only made 300 on the rollers today , just wondered what else was added to gain the extra 40 bhp as quoted by Rapid.sti
Old 06 November 2010, 10:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

YMMV

LOL

dunx
Old 06 November 2010, 10:35 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

ymmv ??????
Old 06 November 2010, 10:57 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i was only asking as i have a prodrive style and have full 3" system and decat and its been mapped by AF and only made 300 on the rollers today , just wondered what else was added to gain the extra 40 bhp as quoted by Rapid.sti
as far as i can make out there is a prodrive style and a prodrive performance pack

prodrive style is the look
prodrive performance pack is the suspension, exhaust, ecu & maybe some other fun things,, also think they came with a tracker?

also my old man was gonna use it,, he has AA breakdown and get 10% off insurance, rang AA to insure my prodrive P pack , AA claim they can not catorgorise this model?
i thought they were a group 20?

wayne.
Old 07 November 2010, 12:10 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

my prodrive style has a tracker
Old 12 November 2010, 03:52 PM
justin8260
Scooby Newbie

bit of late reply, but not managed to find the time to get on here... better late than never

"Rapid STI" - just to let you know it wasn't me that called you and hung up, not started seriously looking yet nor is my 172 Cup up for sale quite yet. Not long though hopefully

Ok I've got a better understanding of the differences between the STI and the STI with prodrive now.

Seems to me that I'm aswell with a normal STI if I can get it at the right price - so that's good because before this I was looking purely for an STI with the prodrive pack, so I was limiting my chances of getting an Impreza really!

Still would appreciate some further comments relating to the power delivery of the impreza's?

Probably because I',m used to driving a 172 Cup which as you prob know thrive at higher revs, I'm looking for the Impreza to be as close to that as poss - I know it will never be the same as there's a lot more torque involved which will come in lower down the rev range, but so long as the power doesn't noticably drop before the red line? Dunno if the sports cat/ de-cat downpipe would be the key in helping this?

Cheers
Old 12 November 2010, 06:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yes, or if you have a friendly MOT tester, a de-cat will make her pick up even faster...

TBH if you drive one it will explain itself, I'd call it addictive.

dunx

P.S. Phil - YMMV is a yank term mean all are not made equal... or "your mileage may vary".
Old 12 November 2010, 10:47 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Good luck with your search, just don't consider EU02 YDA Blue Prodrive style STi

JohnD
Old 12 November 2010, 10:49 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

why?
Old 12 November 2010, 11:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It has some history...
Old 12 November 2010, 11:38 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Ouch, I hope it's not the car Phil who's posted above has bought?
Old 13 November 2010, 02:50 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

no not mine had to check thou on the hpi as mine was brought with a private plate ...lol

what is wrong with the other car

Quick Reply: Advice - looking to buy an Impreza STI (bug eye 2002 ish)