Sponsored by:

just backed into a car at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2010, 07:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just backed into a car at low speed

just backed into a car on my mrs' mums street, its an 03 mg thing, anyway my towbar hit his bumper and made a hole, its also caused a couple of light scratches and cracked the paint on my car.

anyway I did the right thing and told him about it, all of a sudden theres marks all over it and it's got damage on the opposite side to where I hit it.

do I let the insurance know about it or just pay my excess and forget about it?

James
Old 31 October 2010, 07:45 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j4mou
just backed into a car on my mrs' mums street, its an 03 mg thing, anyway my towbar hit his bumper and made a hole, its also caused a couple of light scratches and cracked the paint on my car.

anyway I did the right thing and told him about it, all of a sudden theres marks all over it and it's got damage on the opposite side to where I hit it.

do I let the insurance know about it or just pay my excess and forget about it?

James
Did you take photos of the cars in situ and then more as the cars where parted? Last time i had a bump (not my fault) i took 23 pics and emailed them all to both insureance companies.
Otherwise it is your word against his. It is obviously your fault but you don't want your ins co paying out silly amounts, when all he has is a chuffed bumper.
Old 31 October 2010, 07:49 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

no I didnt have my camera or phone with me unfortunatly. just gutted that I was honest and he started to take the p!ss, I said to him dont take the p!ss with the damage, he said honest it wasnt there before... theres no way I could have done it though. he did say someone backed into him last year and drove off and did something but he didnt say what.
Old 31 October 2010, 07:50 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

next time, take photos before telling anyone. What a complete tosser and after you had the decency to come clean. If the car was parked, and is still in the same place I would go back with a camera anyway and take photos to show where you hit it, and explain to your insurance company that you only hit it on one side.
Old 31 October 2010, 08:21 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

just gutted that I was honest and he started to take the p!ss, I said to him dont take the p!ss with the damage...
Originally Posted by arumdevil
What a complete tosser and after you had the decency to come clean.
Agreed. What a tosser.

You can nearly be sure, that if you had driven off then plod would of been banging on your front door before now. Then you would of been proper in it.

Why can't people just return the favour and be honest about it. He must realise that you didn't 'have' to tell him, **** wit.
Old 31 October 2010, 09:31 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

ive been back and taken a photo of the damage
Old 31 October 2010, 09:35 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

How did you tell him? In writing or did you tell him?
Old 31 October 2010, 09:43 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

just verbally.
Old 31 October 2010, 09:54 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

And I presume it has no evidence eg paint on his car. I would try saying you've been good telling him but if he carries on this charade you'll have to ask him to stop calling as your car is no longer for sale.

Im no legal expert and I dont know what other details you've given him but it might be an option.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:07 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

just verbally.
i had it with my wife she touched a taxi with her front bumper no damage to the rear he then goes and wrecks the taxi and he puts a claim in for 4 people lol wife was incessed so she told the insurance company to get there assessor out and they said a fiesta cant cause that damage lol he lost was a crash fraudster if i come across him ill do him
Old 31 October 2010, 10:08 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

nah ile just tell my insurance and show them the picture its my responsibility after all, ile leave it to them. insurance companies arent stupid they will pay for as little as they have to.

J
Old 31 October 2010, 10:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Good for you, only wish more people had your decency.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:25 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Just a thought as it would probably be better for you to settle outside of a claim if its just the rear bumper, tell him you are happy to pay the cost of a replacement bumper (look on ebay for a replacement, not sky high dealer prices). If he insists that more damage was caused tell him that you will involve your insurance who will most likely find him fraudulantly claiming which isnt taken lightly.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:28 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

could do without it at the minute moneys tight, but at the end of the day I wouldnt want someone to drive off if they had hit mine.

I even handed back a bag I found a few months ago it was a radley one with a decent phone and a wallet with just under £1000 in it, their holiday money, she left it on the roof of her car when she stopped for a *** on her way to bakewell.

she gave me a hug then asked if I had taken anything out of her bag
Old 31 October 2010, 10:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

its cheaper for me to go through the insurance as ile need to get mine done too. it was his front bumper, as id parked and hed parked up my ****.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I even handed back a bag I found a few months ago it was a radley one with a decent phone and a wallet with just under £1000 in it, their holiday money, she left it on the roof of her car when she stopped for a *** on her way to bakewell.

she gave me a hug then asked if I had taken anything out of her bag
You should have removed the £1000

I found a mobile phone near the car once & tried to ring the owner although couldn't work out how to unlock it the owner then called & asked why I had their phone ... FPMSL at that I then told em where I was & a few mins later they turned up eyeing me like a crim FFS. I could have just f*cked off with it after all

TX.
Old 31 October 2010, 10:58 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Just tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth and stop trying to rip you/your insurance company off, that you'll tell them he drove into the back of you
Old 01 November 2010, 10:48 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
Just tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth and stop trying to rip you/your insurance company off, that you'll tell them he drove into the back of you
Old 01 November 2010, 10:52 AM
j999jmp
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 01 November 2010, 11:00 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best suggestion yet
Old 01 November 2010, 11:04 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

he has played dirty so when you insurance write to you saying you have hit this car etc etc, ring them and say, that guy reversed into me and he gave me his details and said if i got it done he would pay as he didnt want to go through insurance, next thing they contact you saying you hit him. Your word against his as said before, police wont be bothered as they will say its a cival matter and he would have to take you through a cival court, Both my sisters are lawyers so i can find out any technicalities on things if you need me to. Oh and then when its all over and he has lost cos he is been a total D**k then paint stripper his car and slash his tires for personal satisfation.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:21 AM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
he has played dirty so when you insurance write to you saying you have hit this car etc etc, ring them and say, that guy reversed into me and he gave me his details and said if i got it done he would pay as he didnt want to go through insurance, next thing they contact you saying you hit him. Your word against his as said before, police wont be bothered as they will say its a cival matter and he would have to take you through a cival court, Both my sisters are lawyers so i can find out any technicalities on things if you need me to. Oh and then when its all over and he has lost cos he is been a total D**k then paint stripper his car and slash his tires for personal satisfation.
lol nicely done
Old 01 November 2010, 11:31 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You run a business right???

OP:

I think as others have said it's your word against his sadly. That said if you do the right thing, as you have indicated you will, then it's unlikely your insurance will pay for damage that physically can't have happened with the cars position etc.

He'll have to be Derren Brown to convince them that you've manage to cause damage to the opposite side of the car, even more so if it was parked next to a wall, pavement etc.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:59 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd

OP:

I think as others have said it's your word against his sadly. That said if you do the right thing, as you have indicated you will, then it's unlikely your insurance will pay for damage that physically can't have happened with the cars position etc.

He'll have to be Derren Brown to convince them that you've manage to cause damage to the opposite side of the car, even more so if it was parked next to a wall, pavement etc.

Yes i do run a business and im am one of the fairest people you will meet and will do anything to help anybody, but i wont be screwed over by sumbody who obviously only out for himself and is blatently a P***k. You can speak to any of my customers and they will all tell you im reliable and fair, reasonably priced etc etc and most importantly 99% of them return for further work. And how i would deal with this situation has no bearing on how i run my business. I didnt realise if you owned a business you have to let people take the **** and walk all over you

Last edited by JAutos; 01 November 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01 November 2010, 12:05 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Oh and many people have done things the right way and it generally gets you nowhere, this whole situation is a perfect example he, could have just drove off but the right thing was done and now he is going to suffer as the insurance company will pay out from my experience even though they should contest as its cheaper than contesting and losing, either way a small payout claim hardly puts insurance up, a large value claim does, ever noticed how if you tell them you have had a claim they ask amount. It does matter and if this is left he'll pay on his insurance for the next 5 years the length of time you have to declare it.
Old 01 November 2010, 12:12 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Yes i do run a business and im am one of the fairest people you will meet and will do anything to help anybody, but i wont be screwed over by sumbody who obviously only out for himself and is blatently a P***k. You can speak to any of my customers and they will all tell you im reliable and fair, reasonably priced etc etc and most importantly 99% of them return for further work. And how i would deal with this situation has no bearing on how i run my business. I didnt realise if you owned a business you have to let people take the **** and walk all over you
Oh and many people have done things the right way and it generally gets you nowhere, this whole situation is a perfect example he, could have just drove off but the right thing was done and now he is going to suffer as the insurance company will pay out from my experience even though they should contest as its cheaper than contesting and losing, either way a small payout claim hardly puts insurance up, a large value claim does, ever noticed how if you tell them you have had a claim they ask amount. It does matter and if this is left he'll pay on his insurance for the next 5 years the length of time you have to declare it.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it
Old 01 November 2010, 12:20 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it

Likewise
Old 01 November 2010, 12:58 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

its a bit too late to say he hit you, as its all over a public forum what actually happened and you never know if he is reading this???

I have sent you a PM with a bit of an idea
Old 01 November 2010, 01:22 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by Steve001
its a bit too late to say he hit you, as its all over a public forum what actually happened and you never know if he is reading this???

I have sent you a PM with a bit of an idea
A good point but unlikely and even so linking this forum post to you woul dbe difficult to prove without computer guys checking ip addresses etc for the other party which is illegal i believe unless its at court and needed for evidence.

Also post can be deleted,

I just dont like seeing anybody get screwed over, hope things work out for you mate
Old 01 November 2010, 01:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Quick Reply: just backed into a car at low speed