Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Changing the boring gearstick in the 2009 WRX New hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2010, 10:58 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the boring gearstick in the 2009 WRX New hatch?

HI,

I want to change my gearstick stem (which is also the **** lol) on my 2009 wrx, but the leather bag surrounding the gearstem seems "attached". Unscrewing the gearstem will not release it from the bagging.

Any ideas how I can do this without damaging the bagging or does the whole lot have to go ?

Ta!
Old 10 October 2010, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you get the trim off which surrounds it, so as to look how it's attached from undrneath?
Old 10 October 2010, 12:35 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The gearlever boot sits in a plastic groove on the bottom of gear ****, it just wants stetching out over it.
Old 10 October 2010, 01:09 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how much it differs from the Hawkeye, but I did the the gaiter on mine the other day, which was pretty easy. Un-clip the trim on the upper surface of the centre console, then unscrew the the gear ****/stem and the whole lot lifts off. The gear **** has a taper moulded on the bottom which snaps into a plastic grommet which is glued inside the top of the gaiter. The gaiter is glued to a plastic former at the bottom where it is attached to the console trim by clipping it in from the underside. When I did mine, I removed the gaiter and associated fittings and drove to a car bits shop with no gaiter and noticed just how much noise comes through that opening, so when I fitted my new leather gaiter, I fitted it over the top of the original pvc, trying to look like leather one, which actually quietened proceedings in a noticeable way.

I doubt Subaru would have radically altered that approach to fitting something as bland as a gaiter, in models which are subsequent to my car. If in doubt get a copy of the workshop manual, which will show all the sly little, invisible clips which can lead to trauma associated with snapping a part of the car when going in blind.

All the best

Tim
Old 10 October 2010, 01:58 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i had issues with this when i was installing ky stereo i actually boke something Tugging. ( no comments )

I got dealer to refix, i think you may have to remove the centre plastic thingy,

I seem to remember the ashtray hole at the back comes out to show 2 screws, but after that i got stuck.