How do Sti's Drive/Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2010, 04:53 PM
Arr0nUK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do Sti's Drive/Experience

Hello,

I currently own a Clio 182 Cup but im looking for a change soon, something with more power and boosted

After months of deciding ive decided on 01-02 Bug eye Impreza WRX STI. Im yet to test drive one (which I will do soon) but basicly what are they like driving wise? Ie. Top end power, torque, Any Turbo Lag?? Fuel Consumtion fast/slow off boost? Handeling?

Basicly what ive listed above.

Hope you can help thanks
Old 07 October 2010, 05:04 PM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive just stepped out of a 172 into a 2002 STi last week.

The petrol price will double.

The handling of the clio is very is sharper due to the light weight but at speed the STI gives tonnes of feed back and amazing control.

The STI does have the instance throttle responce as the Clio, but Ive not found a car that does - even Civic Type R's dont have the snappy responce.

The STI will be far quitier on the road as the clio.

The main point is the power - im still learning what the car can do and in the bends I keep finding the car has more limit then I can currently find..

The clio is the kind of car you can master in a few days and drive hard.. The STI is but it caution, the road is eaten quickly and gaps are swallowed instantly.

Day to day driving the STI is a ***** cat. Positive feed back and even a nice level of comfort.
Old 07 October 2010, 05:19 PM
Arr0nUK
Scooby Newbie

do they suffer from any turbo lag as ive never driven a turbo car before?

You say the fuel will double is that driving fast or can you get a bit more out of them if you drive with a light foot?
Old 07 October 2010, 05:34 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

fuel consumption is the main problem with scoobs, you'll be lucky to get 24 mpg driving like miss daisy. i wouldn't worry about turbo lag, if you've got lag your in the wrong gear and if i was you try a classic and a new age before you buy, both are totally different cars. the classic feels that bit more raw and like it needs to be tamed, the new age is more comfortable and feels that its going slower than it really is.
Old 07 October 2010, 06:59 PM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

My 172 could do 300 miles on a tank, say £45.

STI - 150 miles half a tank - not exceeding 4k rpm. Thats about £32.( x2) and you start to see the picture.

If you open it in 2nd gear the lag is tiny, I would say none existent and the kick is huge.. and driving a modest car below 275bhp. I dont floor in 1st(often) as im a wusse but if you do and as ive found out the 4 wheel drive on these things are amazing and needed.

The Clio if full fat has some nice toys as does the STI so the gadgets are still there.

The Subaru visually are awesome.. from the driver seat you feel like mad max over looking that huge scoop and when you turn your head the seat and rear spoiler fill the rest of the view.. its very pleasing on the inside..
I've not heard one creak and squeak from the interior.

If you drive the car in a fair manner and keep petrol in mind it could be feasible. Bang for buck and build quality I cant and couldn't find anything better.
Old 07 October 2010, 07:15 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

remember to hold on tight when the sti comes on boost!
then get it remapped and hold on tighter!!
Old 07 October 2010, 07:30 PM
Rocket launcher
Scooby Regular

just bought a hatch sti had it 4 days
its a car that you respect straight away 306 BHP 0-60 in 4.8 seconds
petrol rediculas 24miles per gallon

it is like a motor bike with 4 walls more grin factor than a comedy show
and i love it
roadholds like its on rails
no better in the price range
Old 07 October 2010, 07:33 PM
Talking Dog
Scooby Regular

I liken the Petrol/Subaru to the following analogy.

If I got a headache after have sex with Megan Fox, bring on the migraine
Old 07 October 2010, 08:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what you mean by experience, the MY01 STI would be a JDM car only, they didnt hit the UK shores until the MY02 model came out, and the JDM is 280ps (none of this bhp sh1te, that equates to 276bhp), where as the UK ones were 265ps (262bhp).
UK cars are mapped for 97 ron, JDM's for 100 ron, also the JDM has more goodies over the UK car, though both have LSD's, but the big change didnt come until 2003 with the JDM twin scroll units and the A-DCCD (Auto Driver Controlled Centre Differential) which improved the handling again by moving the torque distribution between the front and rear axles.
The JDM will feel better to drive, its "sharper" due to the quick rack steering, it seems to pull you round the corner, but it can bite hard if you mess up, its not infallable, and it has its little issues (like servicing is more frequent and costs more than most other cars in its class, ie 7.5k/6 months for the JDM, 10k 1 year for the UK).
Driving wise, its bigger and heavier than the clio, but they can hold their own quite well with the 4wd, mid range is where your going to feel the difference, torque will be nearly double that of the clio so a little more umph there, and dont even mention petrol consumption, £1.23 a litre for v power, and you will be visiting the petrol station often but you need to drive one, and you need to be mechanically sympathetic, ie warm up the oil, none of this 5k from cold crap or your going to pay a price further down the road
They have their quirks and they have their faults (mainly rear shocks, 800 quid for a replacement set), and parts prices are through the roof due to the yen v pound at the moment, so take that into consideration.
The JDM and UK cars upto and including 2002 are similar (different turbo's though), the 2003 JDM was a significant change to the car mechanically, losing the burble because they went twin scroll, personally it would be one of these that I would be looking at, and not the older 01/02 cars (unless its an S202 which have 320ps from the factory )
I should say that the twin scroll cars, 0-60 in about 4.5, 4.3 for the Spec C's, so no slouch

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 07 October 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07 October 2010, 08:39 PM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arr0nUK
do they suffer from any turbo lag as ive never driven a turbo car before?

You say the fuel will double is that driving fast or can you get a bit more out of them if you drive with a light foot?
im currently getting around 230 miles from a tank and I dont drive all the time on boost.... this means it costs me close to 35p per mile... not cheap... my main problem is no motorway driving so the a & b roads are killing me...

but... when you get a clear twisting road on the horizon and you press the loud pedal all the fuel worries disappear... its a weapon and not much will match it on the twisties...
Old 07 October 2010, 10:22 PM
The Myth
Scooby Regular

well this might cheer you up,did a holiday lincoln to whitby which included town ride while there,returned a mega 320 for my 50 quid on tesco 99,yes i did drive like a oap at times but also was hitting the ton line when in the mood,that works out around 32 to the gallon and im more than happy with that,my model is a 03 wrx ppp.
alan.
Old 07 October 2010, 10:42 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

i get about 155 miles to £40 of vpower or tesco 99 in my jdm twinscroll mainly short journeys might be a bit better on a run. But would rather drive that than a small eco car. Got to spend my money on something for pleasure
Old 07 October 2010, 10:45 PM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
i get about 155 miles to £40 of vpower or tesco 99 in my jdm twinscroll mainly short journeys might be a bit better on a run. But would rather drive that than a small eco car. Got to spend my money on something for pleasure
well said mate
Old 07 October 2010, 10:53 PM
seppy101
Scooby Regular

I have a 97 facelift sti, 300+ horses with short gear ratios. its acceleration is ferocious to say the least and handling is superb, don't buy one if you're worrying about MPG. i get 30KM per gallon max (KM as its a JDM model and haven;t bothered getting it changed, never will)... and 20KM on a day using boost. but hell is it fun!! GO FOR IT!
Old 08 October 2010, 12:10 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ginger321
remember to hold on tight when the sti comes on boost!
then get it remapped and hold on tighter!!
Yep, I agree 100% with that ^^^^^
Old 08 October 2010, 12:38 AM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Im not an expert in the cars like alot of the knowledge on here just a big fan of the car. I drive a my03 uk sti ppp ,22 MPG, above 3000 revs the car feels like it wants to pull in every gear . Like I tell everyone I take for a quick drive in the car who has never been in or driven one before , " its the most fun you can have with your clothes on"
Old 08 October 2010, 11:21 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topman2180
22 MPG
Same as what I get. I can squeeze 1 more mpg if I drive like an old lady so it`s just not worth it
Old 08 October 2010, 01:54 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned a Clio 172 and currently own an 02 Bug STI.

For sheer driving enjoyment the STI is miles out in front. It handles like a dream, sounds fantastic and is a great place to be.

Having owned a few turbo charged cars I can honestly say the Impreza is the least 'laggy' I've had.

As for fuel consumption. well don't be getting yourself an STI if you're have concerns about that. My daily commute 50+ miles is mainly motorway/dual carriageway and I get 260 from a full tank. If I take the scenic route to work I can easily get 210 to the tank.

Off boost its just like driving an other 4pot.

Oh and you can have mine if you want it, my commute is likely to increase again very soon and at 100 miles a day, the fuel costs will cripple me
Old 08 October 2010, 04:17 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Its all about miles per smiles with a sti mate
Old 10 October 2010, 10:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People will tell you that the gearing is horrid on the JDM's, yes this was true for the classics, 4k at 80mph, not true of the new age JDM's, 70=3k rpm, 90=4k rpm, shorter 5th and 6th over a uk but higher rev range, it sort of evens out a little

Tony