Sponsored by:

Fly by wire

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2010, 10:28 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly by wire

Having previously owned cars which had cable controlled accelerator pedals I'm finding a few quirks with my Impreza, which are not criticisms of how the car functions, more observations or aspects of function which take a little getting used to.

My previous car was a Forester 2.0 XT with cable control, I've had my 06 Impreza almost two months, which has electronic control. I guess over the years I've become very habitual in both business and pleasure driving, in so much that while I enjoy driving a car to enjoy its performance, my accelerator control has become automatic and aims to get the maximum performance when desired without mindlessly plunging the pedal to the floor.

Fuel economy has not influenced that approach, more a case of feeding the engine enough gas to make it go as desired, while somehow finding that spot where I'm giving it enough to achieve that, but not over the top. Driving by feel or intuition is perhaps an easier way to get that across.

I now find with my Impreza on the odd occasion, that I am perhaps being mean with gas pedal. For example I'll change up into second and the car accelerates rapidly until it has insufficient input from me to continue that performance curve, then it very noticeably hits a flat line unless I communicate with my right foot to the contrary. I don't think I'm an old fart, my son and a couple of younger friends on different occasions exited the car looking a little ill after brief demonstrations of the car's handling prowess.

To conclude the crux of what I'm thinking about, I think that I've got to learn the car's characteristics and maybe adopt an, if in doubt give it more welly approach if my desire is to let the engine pull freely to the red line. Realistically I'll probably also need to get used to turbo lag characteristics in the context of driving the car more aggressively, and decide which areas of my driving style need to be polished.

If anyone has any thoughts arising from my rambling here, I'd be interested in reading them.

Regards

Tim
Old 06 October 2010, 12:33 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Possibly / probably not the fly by wire throttle control, possibly \ probably the standard mapping. Flat spots very common.

A remap would be the answer, much smoother, more power, and maybe more mpg...

A
Old 06 October 2010, 04:33 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

As above it sounds like a remap would be the best thing, I have never had a problem with the Fly by wire throttle on mine but there has been a few post regarding this issue. I know that the sensitivity can be altered when the remap is being done. (open source map £350, licenced map £650)
Old 06 October 2010, 05:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It didnt get the nick name of "fly by dire" for nothing you know

Tony
Old 06 October 2010, 05:54 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, A remap is something I'm planning once I have made hard choices about other parts of the car and can get everything together before mapping. It's not running the factory map at the moment, and was originally re-done when the exhaust and K&N panel filter were fitted by a previous owner who then decided running the car was too costly, after the initial excitement gave way to reality.

I drove the car again today, and once again found the flat spot only occurs when the level of right foot commitment is not what I'd consider to be a full blooded assault on the fuel tank. I've had a good read here and it seems that car set ups, might best be considered decisions, based upon a set of personal objectives.

I have to also accept, I might be driving the car like a plonker compared to someone with more experience of the vehicle, I'll adjust my approach and see how it goes, then get it mapped to suit the new hardware.

Many thanks

Tim
Old 06 October 2010, 05:59 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I had this feeling as well when I had my Hawkeye 2006 WRX and the only thing that corrected it was a remap by Bob Rawle, until the remap I just thought that was how they 'were' but after the throttle response was a lot more sensitive and there was a lot less need to 'mash' the pedal.

I would recommend from experience Bob Rawle (he has mapped two cars for me and the third will be done this Friday) and from other local members JGM, Enginetuner and Andy Forrest.

I believe the price of an Ecutek remap from Bob and JGM is now around £550 inc VAT but you would need to contact anyone listed to confirm exact pricing.
Old 06 October 2010, 06:08 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Cannon Fodder, My next question would be, where or who for the mapping? I'm in Essex and have already had a brief word with Extreme Scoobies to get an idea of cost.
When the time approaches I'll have a good read of people's experiences and recommendations here, then take the £500-£600 plunge. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

all the best

Tim

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2010, 06:31 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awdx4
Thanks Cannon Fodder, My next question would be, where or who for the mapping? I'm in Essex and have already had a brief word with Extreme Scoobies to get an idea of cost.
When the time approaches I'll have a good read of people's experiences and recommendations here, then take the £500-£600 plunge. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

all the best

Tim
I would as said recommend Bob who does map in that area (he is based in Swindon) or JGM who is based in the South East and again maps in your area.

Both have outstanding reputations but I would wait until the new Ecutek RaceRom mapping becomes available - flat floor shifting, twin switchable maps, launch control plus too many other features to mention and all the from the standard DBW ECU.
Old 06 October 2010, 07:25 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Cheers, that sounds like more fun than than I deserve and certainly worth waiting for.

That's really useful info, thanks a lot

Tim
Old 07 October 2010, 09:26 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer try putting 10 k boost into a astra sri inlet pipe which has fly by wire and realising you got no way of reaching the accelarator pedal from front of engine bay doh!!
Old 08 October 2010, 08:07 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

djwrx, that sounds like you had fun. My first reaction was wondering why anyone would want to drive the car from the engine bay when the front seat is so much more comfortable.

But, I don't know you so must apologise for being mildly humorous. On a more serious note, my wife/partner always lends a hand when I'm doing awkward stuff, and although she sometimes questions my sanity, she doesn't make an issue of it. I guess it can be useful having a friend assist when doing awkward things on a car, I'm very lucky that mine happens to live with me and she doesn't mind me having hobbies.

all the best

Tim
Old 10 October 2010, 04:35 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

yer no probs lol...was worst car i ever owned anyhow.the ten k boost didnt do much cos the piston rings had gone due too some very bad servicing by previous owner .couldnt believe i got 2000 pound when traded in for the wrx lol