1000 miles up

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2001, 02:52 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Let the games begin

Whilst that was the longest 1000 miles ever, i've never had so much fun in a bloody car, just dawdling around

4000 revs is plenty to have a laugh in.............6000 has gotta be betta

I'm hooked and i can't help feeling that i've onlyjust scratched the surface.

Anyone care to share the FIRST time that thier Scooby taught them some respect, maybe I won't make the same mistakes

I'm off to waste a tank of fuel, arseing around. CYA

MIKEY
Old 13 March 2001, 03:05 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Year before last.

Was following a friend on a very cold night, and dropped back so I could deliberately take a corner a bit faster. Just the other side of a sharp corner that steeply rose upwards, was a sheet of ice all the way up a hill (about 300 yards). This was caused by the fact that the water off the fields drained down this road and plunged off.

As I accelerated round the corner, I suddenly found the whole car spinning towards the ditch, so I managed somehow to straighten it, but it went the other way, so evertually got it back in a straight line and made it up the hill.

At the top my mate was waiting stunned as he had seen my headlights pointing in all directions in his rear view mirror. As I got out of the car it was very slippery.

Lesson learnt, the scoob really does generate a lot of grip, but when there is none, its not fool proof and cant defy the laws of physics. I now trust the radio when they say there will be ground frost!

Im still amazed at times how icy it can be outside the scoob, when you dont think its very bad on the roads.

robski
Old 13 March 2001, 03:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

My mistake... when they go they really go!

[This message has been edited by Jolly Green Monster (edited 13 March 2001).]
Old 13 March 2001, 04:04 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mine was quite subtle. Having been driving a Puma for a year or so and only just got the scoob, turning right out of a side road onto the main road in the wet. Was used to pulling away strongly in first, FWD car, nice progressive engine, scoot off.

In the scoob....first gear, foot down, three-quarters out of the junction turbo kicks in, power in back wheels gets back end out, car POWERS out of the left hand lane into the right hand lane, eased off power, back end came back round. I was nicely facing some oncoming cars at this point.....got it back into left hand lane, carried on, and made mental note not to boot it in first gear in the wet on a corner

Well maybe if the road is wide enough
Old 13 March 2001, 06:51 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jolly Green Monster:
<B>

My mistake... when they go they really go!

[This message has been edited by Jolly Green Monster (edited 13 March 2001).][/quote]

**** me!!!

Were you ok chap?

Old 14 March 2001, 09:54 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Wink

Yes thankfully I was fine and so was the guy I hit...

lost it on an S-bend and hit a car coming the other direction...

The air bag or steering wheel cut my face but other than that I was fine...

When they let go, they do it big...

Before I knew it I was bouncing off trees and verge and bollards wanting to stop then I did stop when I hit the car coming the other way.. I had managed to get it straight and was recovering it with a small amount of damage to the rear quarter but was just over the white line and a guy came around the bend and we collided.

I think in the initial panic I let took my foot off the gas.... bad move...
Old 14 March 2001, 10:24 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Gridlock - I have to agree with the above. You will keep pushing the car harder and harder to see what it can do. Eventually you will find out what it can't do. When this happens do not let off the throttle with a snap or you will quicky be a passenger reversing towards the scene of an accident. Best idea is to go to a track day or some sort of training (WTB) so you can find out what to do other than panic.

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2001, 11:07 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Nice pics - your lucky to have survived!

First "incident" was on the first day i got the car this Jan. Picked up my mates - off we went down a favourite road, came round a fast corner and onto wet icy mud off a tractor and car slowly slid sideways (at about 85+!!!). Nice and progressive so i just went with it - seemed to sort itself out - didnt panic just shat my pants anyway - imagine writing the car off on the first day!!!

Went slower after that!!!

Jza
Old 14 March 2001, 11:55 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Talking

There are more pictures if you are really interested... it is like scars - you regret it like bu99ery at the time but afterwards you have to show the scars off...

Air bag and rope holding drivers door shut so it could be towed... and shattered screen. Damage to rear quarter from trees..

More front images...

You can rest assured though that they do there job if you do have an accident, despite there lack of weigh and panels just thicker than paper... amazing really...

A freind rolled his end over end, I shall try and dig out those pictures too...

link to pictures or friends crash