Seems like a great place

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2010, 08:05 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems like a great place

Hello,

I couldn't seem to find a dedicated hello/good evening/welcome so hopefully I won't be offending anyone by saying a warm hello right here. Having already read many articles on this site in the last couple of weeks, I am appreciative of the technical and enthusiastic approach of members on this forum.

Cars have never been my own area of expertise, but I have been involved in electromechanical engineering for many years and generally grasp things quickly. I've always had functional vehicles as life circumstances have been a bit fraught over the years and I find myself fitting into that old cliché that life begins at 40, albeit in my case, life that I have a degree of control over began at 40.

My first Subaru experience was a 2.0 XT Forester which I owned for four years until I managed to convince myself that my fishing gear and the family could be equally comfortable in a WRX. I bought my 06 Hawkeye just over a month ago and personally think it has taken me until now to find the bulk of what's what with the car and form a few opinions on where I'd like to go with it, now that I've admitted to myself it has become my number one hobby. I've had the bumpers off and spent a fair bit of time under the car doing simple things like stripping the bumper supports/chassis parts and coating them with a corrosion preventer and repainting them with a far more durable coating. I did that on the strength of reading and looking at pictures on this site which helped me identify weak areas on the vehicle which might not agree with the copious amounts of salt that get dumped on our often wet roads.

I have a car with quite low mileage and can't quite get my head around the post 07 body styling yet but it might grow on me, so the idea is that I'll keep this car for quite a while and look after it well. It currently has a Hayward and Scott exhaust system and a green panel filter in the original air box, the filter approach seems to be what a lot of people here suggest is the way to go unless one is doing major tuning with the motor. The only part of the car I have yet to verify is the ECU as I am convinced that my car has been set up a little hotter than than the standard map at some point in its life. I base that conclusion on the fact that I had a couple of run ins with individuals with vehicles which on paper ought to have been harder to despatch in a convincing manner than they actually were, in a straight line 0-60 or so.

The car has a full service history in respect of its brief life and appears to have been cherished by at least one of the previous owners. The only stuff I don't have is any definitive info in respect of tweaks that have obviously been done in a considered and well executed way to enhance the car's performance.
Some might suggest I should have known all that before buying, but in my defence, aside from me being able to establish that engine was running sweet and that it showed no evidence of being bent or bodged up, and is mechanically sound, my knowledge of what the bog standard car has component wise was very lacking aside from I would have spotted things like an induction kit or atmospheric dump valve or back box with sufficient space in the tail pipe to have a family picnic.

Mmm I seem to have overcooked my intro, so had better close before I move into that dangerous territory of putting people to sleep before I even get chance to interact here.

all the best

Tim
Old 04 October 2010, 08:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hello and welcome Tim.
Old 04 October 2010, 10:47 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome and enjoy mate
Old 04 October 2010, 12:31 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

welcome mate
Old 04 October 2010, 12:37 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just kidding and welcome.
Old 04 October 2010, 06:53 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. I had a carbon front splitter arrive this morning so I've been waiting for a break in the damn rain so I could fit it. Finally started peeling the front off the car at 4.30 this afternoon and just finished putting it back on, aside from the small oversight of being carried away with the nuts and bolts in some of the holes where the clips is sposed to live, never mind that'll be fun in the morning now I can't get my head under the car at the front and don't have ramps. I'll check out the links posted on this thread once I have acquainted myself with some food, many thanks and greatly appreciated.

Tim
Old 04 October 2010, 06:55 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

Hi and Welcome

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2010, 07:01 PM
dan/scooby
Scooby Regular

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 04 October 2010, 07:32 PM
Danny-WRX
Scooby Regular

Hello there and welcome to our little community
Old 04 October 2010, 07:44 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Evening Tim, welcome to SN .
Old 04 October 2010, 07:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim nice but not dim it seems Welcome.
Old 04 October 2010, 08:28 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome to the site.

It is nice to read a post that has the correct use of grammar and not riddled with spelling mistakes, please do not resort to text speak.

Hope you are enjoying the car and this forum, post up some pics when you get a chance.
Old 04 October 2010, 08:32 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome to the club
Old 04 October 2010, 09:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the site
Old 04 October 2010, 09:07 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Smile

Welcome to the club Tim,I am a newbe myself,this club has a wealth of great knowledge,some mechanical,some social,when we are not fixing Scoooobys we are putting the world to rights,enjoy !!!!!!
I dont suppose you have an Iphone4?

Last edited by Gregsti01; 04 October 2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: old age
Old 04 October 2010, 10:37 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Many thanks once again for the welcomes, I'm really chuffed by the friendly nature of the members I've encountered thus far. It's refreshing to say the least, and I hope that with the passage of time I'll acquire a little wisdom in respect of the car which might help and encourage someone else.

Cannon fodder, I am enjoying the place and have been for a week or two whilst staying in the background until I had a little time on my hands, in which to join up and be able to respond to other people in a way which reflects the fact they've put themselves out to say something to me. Writing is a hobby of mine, I love the language and write poetry and short stories which cover most subjects and life situations. I'll probably write a poem or two about my experiences with the car, and would be happy to share my inspirations if anyone is interested in reading. I don't think I can post images with the basic membership I currently have, but I think the cost of uprating my membership is good value so I'll get on to it in a day or two and get some pictures posted. Good to meet you.

Gregsti01, I don't have an Iphone of any incarnation, I have a touch screen Samsung which is OK for storing a few films for when I'm night fishing and a selection of my favourite albums for when I'm relaxing, and occasionally I get a call, but the phone in my case is really just a means for family to get hold of me if there is any problem. I'll add my messenger details in the coming days and I have skype on the Pc, thank you.

Many thanks to all of you have replied here, I look forward to getting to know people here a little better as I find my way around, and when I see an opportunity to contribute towards a subject I have a decent understanding of.

I have a fair bit of knowledge of cooling systems, as in refrigeration or air con and the way they work that I can share if anyone is interested. I'm also experienced with electronics and reasonably complex circuitry, which I will be applying in the context of my car, as I get deeper into making it more individual, I currently lack the experience of knowing what the vehicle is comprised of but I'm a fair way into the service manual now, which is certainly making me appreciate and respect the car a whole lot more.

I'm not one for wanting to hear the sound of my own voice too much, but can waffle for hours in the right company or if anyone can benefit from something which I have an understanding of, so I'll close for now before my enthusiasm once again gets the better of me and I get started my current thought, which is the dump valve, that I could probably debate for a few hours while I learn from the experiences and knowledge of people who have been working with these cars for years.

Many thanks, my joining today reminded me of when I first picked up my Impreza, none of my friends or family recognised me in the car, and blanked me if I flashed or waved, but every other Impreza driver that passed by put a hand up.

Kind regards

Tim
Old 04 October 2010, 10:41 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 October 2010, 10:44 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

How do Tim ive only just seen your thread other wise i would have said hello earlier sooo welcome aboard mate and i hope you enjoy it here
Old 04 October 2010, 11:37 PM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

Tim you sound like you have already got the bug first mods and so it begins

the beauty of scoobies and the clubs are they appeal to a wide cross section

from gleaming pampered machines with plenty underbonnet bling to power machines with ultimate handling there is something for all, be it a chat at a meet, to a run out as a group, to tunnel running, trackdays, sprints etc to the big charity meet ups like the NBO with 500 cars

the scoobie crew are a very friendly bunch and more than happy to talk about anything subaru.and anything else come to that. the nice thing is they dont take themselves toooo seriously.

I mean where else can you drive along and have a total stranger wave to you with a grin on their face. see what I mean.

anyway hope you continue to enjoy
Old 05 October 2010, 12:03 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell Tim, far too articulate. You'll be giving Scoobs and their drivers a good name.

No seriously, as Cannon Fodder has already stated, it is nice to see a well composed post and not have to decipher half a page of un-punctuated and mis-spelt rambling .
Old 05 October 2010, 08:53 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's certainly a friendly forum right here, thanks fatboyslim.

Prodriverules, I'm doing great thanks, I have few days off work to enjoy so I'm relaxed and can tinker with my car.

Oldman, yes I agree the bug has bitten, although I think before I leap these days.

I don't take myself seriously at all, and there is often a subtle dry humour lurking behind most aspects of my daily life. The meet ups sound like a great way to enjoy getting to spend some time with people who also enjoy the cars and days out. Yes, the mods are running through my thoughts with increasing frequency. Thank you.

Thank you bat, good to meet you, all the best.

Tim
Old 05 October 2010, 06:02 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by awdx4
Many thanks once again for the welcomes, I'm really chuffed by the friendly nature of the members I've encountered thus far. It's refreshing to say the least, and I hope that with the passage of time I'll acquire a little wisdom in respect of the car which might help and encourage someone else.

Cannon fodder, I am enjoying the place and have been for a week or two whilst staying in the background until I had a little time on my hands, in which to join up and be able to respond to other people in a way which reflects the fact they've put themselves out to say something to me. Writing is a hobby of mine, I love the language and write poetry and short stories which cover most subjects and life situations. I'll probably write a poem or two about my experiences with the car, and would be happy to share my inspirations if anyone is interested in reading. I don't think I can post images with the basic membership I currently have, but I think the cost of uprating my membership is good value so I'll get on to it in a day or two and get some pictures posted. Good to meet you.

Gregsti01, I don't have an Iphone of any incarnation, I have a touch screen Samsung which is OK for storing a few films for when I'm night fishing and a selection of my favourite albums for when I'm relaxing, and occasionally I get a call, but the phone in my case is really just a means for family to get hold of me if there is any problem. I'll add my messenger details in the coming days and I have skype on the Pc, thank you.

Many thanks to all of you have replied here, I look forward to getting to know people here a little better as I find my way around, and when I see an opportunity to contribute towards a subject I have a decent understanding of.

I have a fair bit of knowledge of cooling systems, as in refrigeration or air con and the way they work that I can share if anyone is interested. I'm also experienced with electronics and reasonably complex circuitry, which I will be applying in the context of my car, as I get deeper into making it more individual, I currently lack the experience of knowing what the vehicle is comprised of but I'm a fair way into the service manual now, which is certainly making me appreciate and respect the car a whole lot more.

I'm not one for wanting to hear the sound of my own voice too much, but can waffle for hours in the right company or if anyone can benefit from something which I have an understanding of, so I'll close for now before my enthusiasm once again gets the better of me and I get started my current thought, which is the dump valve, that I could probably debate for a few hours while I learn from the experiences and knowledge of people who have been working with these cars for years.

Many thanks, my joining today reminded me of when I first picked up my Impreza, none of my friends or family recognised me in the car, and blanked me if I flashed or waved, but every other Impreza driver that passed by put a hand up.

Kind regards

Tim
Good man
Old 05 October 2010, 07:09 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Are you an english teacher tim lmhao,welcome to the moneypit we call imprezas.
Old 06 October 2010, 09:44 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Greg, good to meet you here.

scixer6r, no I'm not an English teacher, I did ponder taking that direction a few years ago. I also pondered other career options based around writing, though decided I'd miss the hands on mechanical challenge of engineering and solving problems arising from that kind of work. I got involved in training which now gives me a balance between doing what I enjoy and being able to share my experience. Maybe when I'm too old to do some of the gruelling mechanical tasks, I'll find pasture in teaching writing skills somewhere, or just rag my car about on sunny days.

Regards

Tim
Old 06 October 2010, 10:11 AM
Wagon_Pete
Scooby Regular

Firstly, Welcome Tim, I too am new to the fun of Scooby ownership and putting aside a few niggles which will hopefuly be sorted tomorrow I am overjoyed at the experience so far. I previously owned a 306 gti6 which had somewhat of the same level of following, owners club and community spirit.

Originally Posted by oldman-wrx
I mean where else can you drive along and have a total stranger wave to you with a grin on their face. see what I mean.

anyway hope you continue to enjoy
Oldman, I dont wish to pee on your statement however have you ever owned a classic Mini? I do and trust me you dont just get other Mini owners waving at you. But then seeing me in one of them is a little amusing, at 6'1" and 17 stone I'm not exactly the smallest guy to ever get into one. However to compound your statement I was honestly suprised to find that I had other WRX and STi owners flashing (lights that is) and waving.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:13 AM
gbnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awdx4
Hello,

I couldn't seem to find a dedicated hello/good evening/welcome so hopefully I won't be offending anyone by saying a warm hello right here......
Hi Tim, welcome, I too am new to the forum, waiting to collect my 330s in the next week, hoping sooner but got to wait for the DVLA.

James
Old 06 October 2010, 10:17 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the site Tim.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:37 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete, I appreciate the hello, but would probably appreciate a picture of you in the mini even more.

James, I wish you all the best with the car, and look forward to reading your impressions of it.

belliott, thanks for the welcome, I'm enjoying the site very much.

I have a few pictures up in the gallery and will do the membership soon and get some more posted.

Cheers

Tim