Sponsored by:

Millers Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2010, 09:41 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Millers Octane booster

Hi again all, I'm after some pearls of wisdom from those who have tried and failed.

I recently posted a thread regarding my new fuel card from work, allowing me to have all my fuel paid for regardless of business or personal use, whilst driving my Impreza for work. Sounds great in theory, however in practice, they have said I cant pay for premium fuel only normal 95 RON unleaded. My car has been remapped and was done so on Shell VPower, so my question is, would it be possible to add octane booster to a tank of regular fuel without issue.

Ive been looking around and this stuff gets some good reviews :

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...STER_MOCT.html

or this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

if so, being that it does +2 RON would 2 bottles = +4 RON ?? making regular 95 RON fuel similar to or thereabouts like VPower.

Any help is much appreciated, things are moving on with work and if I cant get this sorted it looks like im selling the car, or having it remapped on 95 RON fuel which I really dont want to do.

Last edited by H2o-uk; 29 September 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 10:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The second one would require two "shots" per tank, not bottles...

dunx

P.S. Most assume a 50 litre tank...

Last edited by dunx; 29 September 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 10:04 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

I'd use a bottle of Nitrous Formula (the black one)

http://www.asptrading.co.uk/acatalog...E_BOOSTER.html
Old 29 September 2010, 10:18 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

hey thanks for the responses fellas, a little bit more towards what I was hoping for. Not possible or Stupid idea is what I was expecting :P

As I say Im not paying for fuel, so paying £12 - £15 for a bottle of octane booster isnt gonna break the bank, I could always add another shot just in case The biggest question was is it cummulative in its effect, does 2 shots / bottles of the varying octane booster actually increase the value, not just give you another 50ml of the same RON , if you get what I mean.

Hope I'm making myself clear, just desperate to get some ideas as I need to address this quite soon.

Thanks

Last edited by H2o-uk; 29 September 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 10:20 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you come to an agreement where you pay the extra for V-Power?
JohnD
Old 29 September 2010, 10:32 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Yer I tried that, no can do, VERY LARGE company one rule for all. It gets complicated, tax, tax relief etc etc
Old 29 September 2010, 11:04 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Get a sticker for your petrol cap saying do NOT use 95 ron
Old 29 September 2010, 11:59 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

http://www.nitrous.com.au/info.html
Old 30 September 2010, 01:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yes the effect is cumulative, ie two shots = +4 RON...

Mine loves the stuff in V-Power, it adds more timing low down and feels much quicker to spool. Especially below 10 degrees ambient.

I actually use the "cheap" Millers stuff as I get it at a very good price

HTH

dunx
Old 02 October 2010, 02:39 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Well I've bitten the bullet, lets see how it goes. I needed to fill up today so I went out and bought some Millers Power Eco stuff from Halfords, 12.99 for upto 10 shots 50ml a time. Went to local petrol station, stuck in two shots of 50ml Millers and then 45 litres of 95 Ron regular petrol. I'll let you know how it gets on, if it starts knocking like hell then I'm just gonna have to flush it through with some VPower I suppose, and maybe some more octane boost.
Old 02 October 2010, 02:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You "may" feel her pulling timing "if" the octane is low.

I used to run mine on cheap stuff through the winter, and she just felt flat, BUT I didn't give it any "beans", just crawled to work and back.

I have a KS3 knock system as back-up, and it never showed much activity.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Are you anywhere near Leeds ?
Old 02 October 2010, 04:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Yes the effect is cumulative, ie two shots = +4 RON...

Mine loves the stuff in V-Power, it adds more timing low down and feels much quicker to spool. Especially below 10 degrees ambient.

I actually use the "cheap" Millers stuff as I get it at a very good price

HTH

dunx
unfortunately, Millers Octane Plus has a shelf life (use within one year of purchase) and you don't know how long it's been sitting around before you buy it! I've got 3 bottles at least 4 years old as I usually only use OB when I know I'm going to "press on" a bit! NF has been quoted as having 10 years!
I've been using some NF lately and use a small graduated polythene bottle to apply the dose, the inside of which is now stained brown (the manganese?) The valves, combustion chambers and plugs must be very colourful!

By the way, what gain and alert settings do you use on the KS3 and where have you placed the sensor?

JohnD
Old 02 October 2010, 04:16 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H2o-uk
Well I've bitten the bullet, lets see how it goes. I needed to fill up today so I went out and bought some Millers Power Eco stuff from Halfords, 12.99 for upto 10 shots 50ml a time. Went to local petrol station, stuck in two shots of 50ml Millers and then 45 litres of 95 Ron regular petrol. I'll let you know how it gets on, if it starts knocking like hell then I'm just gonna have to flush it through with some VPower I suppose, and maybe some more octane boost.
Don't think you'll find a lot of effect with that stuff as it's more of a cleaner than a dedicated octane booster.

JohnD
Old 02 October 2010, 04:25 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Dunx, yes Im in Leeds :P just been out for a quick thrash, done about 15 miles, nothing to report, but I dont suppose there would be. It didnt feel like it was pulling any timing, didnt actually feel much different, but there was a couple of litres of VPower still in the tank when I filled up.
Old 02 October 2010, 04:27 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Sorry to jump on this thread ,but does it harm the engine if you use the 95ron.I didnt know and have been using 95ron for about a year(i have sometimes put in 99ron).The 99ron makes the car quicker but i cant say i have noticed a massive difference.whilst on the subject is it cheaper to use OB and 95 ron or 99ron????
Old 02 October 2010, 04:31 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

I donty know the full in and outs, but something about knock and rattling your crankshaft and big end bearings to bits was what I was told. The higher RON fuels allows for better compression before combustion, giving more power, if the engine is running on lower RON fuels then it has to adjust the timing which is why on regular petrol the subaru engine feels a little lumpy, or at least mine does.
Old 02 October 2010, 04:46 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyd00999
Sorry to jump on this thread ,but does it harm the engine if you use the 95ron.I didnt know and have been using 95ron for about a year(i have sometimes put in 99ron).The 99ron makes the car quicker but i cant say i have noticed a massive difference.whilst on the subject is it cheaper to use OB and 95 ron or 99ron????
Using the higher octane fuel allows the ECU to advance the ignition timing a little giving better efficiency. It also reduces the possibility of detonation (pinking) when using the engine hard. Severe detonation can damage the engine. Some engines can resist the effects of det. more than others, the Subaru engine unfortunately, does not fall into this category!
Always use the higher octane fuel in preference to 95 + booster. Even if you don't feel much difference, the engine will be safer.

JohnD
Old 02 October 2010, 06:56 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
Don't think you'll find a lot of effect with that stuff as it's more of a cleaner than a dedicated octane booster.

JohnD
it says on the millers website it adds 2 octane points so that and tesco's momentum so that would be 101 octane wouldn't it ? would that be ok in a type r ?
Old 02 October 2010, 07:29 PM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
it says on the millers website it adds 2 octane points so that and tesco's momentum so that would be 101 octane wouldn't it ? would that be ok in a type r ?
I understand it that octane booster only works on lower (eg: 95 RON) fuels, and that there isn't a huge difference adding them to higher octane fuels. By adding more than one bottle at a time you also risk getting a build up of deposits on your sparkplugs - can result in a misfire.
Old 02 October 2010, 08:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LOL I get mine "fresh".

And I've used two bottles at every trackday & club run round the Pennines, no grotty plugs here.

dunx

H20 what year is it, a New-Age will just pull some ignition timing and run fine. Forget that just looked at your profile...

Last edited by dunx; 02 October 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 15 October 2010, 02:33 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Just an update guys, Fuel card deal fell through which is good for me tbh. I ran for a week on a full tank of regular 95Ron supermarket fuel and two shots of the Miller Octane Boost / Power eco stuff. Engine seemed to run fine, however I could feel it pulling timing at the top end around 4500 - 5000 RPM, below this and it ran fine. No knocking or strange noises from the engine either, but you could tell it wasnt VPower. Anyway as I said the deal fell through for fuel cards and im back filling with VPower and I'm also topping it up with 1 shot of the Millers, and I must say, I have noticed more torque from lower down the rev range. Maybe its the Octane boost, maybe its the cooler ambient temperatures at the moment I dunno, but on 95 RON I cant say I'd recommend it as an additive to match Premium fuels, but partnered up with a premium fuel, my car appears to love it.
Old 15 October 2010, 08:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi,

I didn't forget you... Honest !

But my contact thought he had a better deal, on a 25 litre drum of 10W60 CFS. Still waiting to hear about some of the cheap stuff.

And yes anything below 10 degrees with booster and she'll fly.

dunx
Old 15 October 2010, 08:50 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
when i had my type r i used optimax now v power with a cap or 2 of millers octain booster and things were fine no issues in 4 years ownership.
Old 15 October 2010, 10:03 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok my 2 pennath.

Mick or Mike at IM said use super all the way, BUT the odd 95 wont harm her just dont spank the limiter, if you use more than one the engine adapts KINDA which aint good if your wanting 300BHP

My route to all this is

Use super as much as you can Carry a octane shot thingy in ya boot if you cant find super and your on vapours.

And if you ever evere need to drop 95 in do so but drive it like ya Grandad.