Sponsored by:

What a pain....

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2010, 02:03 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What a pain....

Coming down a single track lane this morning noticed a HGV coming up the hill. He was faffing about opposite a junction, with a car pulled in to the junction entrance to let him by. He reversed back to let the car into the junction and then pulled forward again once the car was into the junction, all this on a hill.

I noticed all this, and pulled into a passing spot some 20 ish yards away from the junction, as he was already moving up the hill. I got as close as I could to the kerb edges, using mirrors angled down to check, something like 2 inches away, didn't want to kerb the alloys as i've only had the car for 3 days.

Anyway, this driver carried on, about 4-6 inches away from my drivers side, and just jammed on the brakes along side me, and sat there, and shouted out the window 'I cant move, a tree is in the hedge'.

I shouted back 'I am not moving because I am not driving up kerbs this close, you'll have to go back and let me reverse up the hill for you.'

Anyway, he didn't budge. I shouted to him 'you have 6 inches to come closer to me', which he started doing, and then I had to honk the horn because he got to about 1 inch from the rear. After what seemed like 5 mins of sitting there, I put on full left lock and drove up the kerb. I just knew that the rear alloy would drag along the kerb because I was at such close proximity. I went up it as slow as I could and he drove off. Fuming, I got to the end of the lane, slapped it in S sharp, and gunned it to work.

Got to work, checked back left alloy, and yep, kerb scuff and chip down to the metal.

I have rung the company informed them of all this. They are checking their tracking sat data or whatever it is, and calling me this afternoon. The guy I was talking to was harping on about trucks being much harder to drive, and blind spots behind so he wouldn't have wanted to reverse incase there was a car sat right behind him. I told him I had perfect view of the road, and would not have asked the guy to reverse if there was a car there. Also, has no one at his company looked into rear facing cameras?

Essentially, I have given way to him as he had right of way coming up the hill. Moved over as much as I could and he has proceeded to move his vehicle into the available space that was too small. As a result of this, his vehicle became jammed (although he could have gone backwards) and consequently I was 'run off the road' which caused damage to my vehicle. That is how I see it anyway.

Could have been worse I spose, he could have dragged his entire truck down the side of the car. Or could have been after market wheels :s That would have sent me over the edge.

290+vat for a replacement from the locals (new), 150 inc for a second hand but unused.

Richie.

Last edited by ramdor; 29 September 2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 06:56 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Get the wheel refurbed, you only describe the damage as a scuff and a chip. Around £60
Old 29 September 2010, 07:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ramdor
Coming down a single track lane this morning noticed a HGV coming up the hill. He was faffing about opposite a junction, with a car pulled in to the junction entrance to let him by. He reversed back to let the car into the junction and then pulled forward again once the car was into the junction, all this on a hill.

I noticed all this, and pulled into a passing spot some 20 ish yards away from the junction, as he was already moving up the hill. I got as close as I could to the kerb edges, using mirrors angled down to check, something like 2 inches away, didn't want to kerb the alloys as i've only had the car for 3 days.

Anyway, this driver carried on, about 4-6 inches away from my drivers side, and just jammed on the brakes along side me, and sat there, and shouted out the window 'I cant move, a tree is in the hedge'.

I shouted back 'I am not moving because I am not driving up kerbs this close, you'll have to go back and let me reverse up the hill for you.'

Anyway, he didn't budge. I shouted to him 'you have 6 inches to come closer to me', which he started doing, and then I had to honk the horn because he got to about 1 inch from the rear. After what seemed like 5 mins of sitting there, I put on full left lock and drove up the kerb. I just knew that the rear alloy would drag along the kerb because I was at such close proximity. I went up it as slow as I could and he drove off. Fuming, I got to the end of the lane, slapped it in S sharp, and gunned it to work.

Got to work, checked back left alloy, and yep, kerb scuff and chip down to the metal.

I have rung the company informed them of all this. They are checking their tracking sat data or whatever it is, and calling me this afternoon. The guy I was talking to was harping on about trucks being much harder to drive, and blind spots behind so he wouldn't have wanted to reverse incase there was a car sat right behind him. I told him I had perfect view of the road, and would not have asked the guy to reverse if there was a car there. Also, has no one at his company looked into rear facing cameras?

Essentially, I have given way to him as he had right of way coming up the hill. Moved over as much as I could and he has proceeded to move his vehicle into the available space that was too small. As a result of this, his vehicle became jammed (although he could have gone backwards) and consequently I was 'run off the road' which caused damage to my vehicle. That is how I see it anyway.

Could have been worse I spose, he could have dragged his entire truck down the side of the car. Or could have been after market wheels :s That would have sent me over the edge.

290+vat for a replacement from the locals (new), 150 inc for a second hand but unused.

Richie.

Sounds like a right royal p.i.t.a.

But why buy a new wheel when a £50-60 refurb will bring it looking brand new, especially if the damage is a scuff and chip

Hopefully the drivers company may meet you with regards the cost.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:22 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Sounds like a right royal p.i.t.a.

But why buy a new wheel when a £50-60 refurb will bring it looking brand new, especially if the damage is a scuff and chip

Hopefully the drivers company may meet you with regards the cost.
Yeah, will get a quote and offer them this option. Cheers all for the advice.

Richie.