Sponsored by:

Oil Breakdown advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2010, 10:53 AM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Breakdown advice please!

How soon would an oil such as Silkolene Pro S that RCM use in their services breakdown?

I last had the P1 serviced from RCM in May 2009. The car was then used for around 4-5 months covering around 3-4k miles.

It was then layed up for 8 months until May this year. It was cranked over for a few minutes once a month just to keep lubed.

It's been on the road since for the last 3 months or so and covered another 3.5k miles.

Wanted to have the oil service done by RCM again just to keep the history consistent but I've got a long journey to do in the car tomorrow and was worried about it still being on the current oil.

So considering the facts, would the current oil still be ok for a while until I can get up to RCM??

The P1 onely gets driven occasionally and always warmed and cooled as per normal and I'm not really a mad lead foot...I drive it hard occasionally only.
Old 18 September 2010, 12:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

How the car is driven is key to how the oil lasts.

If its short 10-30min journeys, it will have built up a fair amount of condensation and fuel in the crankcase. Which degrades the oil.

If its used for 30mins of normal driving (not idling) at the very minimum on every outing, then the oil should regularly reach a high enough temp to prevent such contamination building up.

If on the other hand on every outing it sees long full throttle or over three-quarter throttle (20seconds plus) runs, hard aceleration, 100mph+ runs and hits the red line or close to it (4K+ rpm) on every outing. Again, this take its toll on the engine and the oil.

IMO, one outing is not enough to cause a problem, its the accumulation of the type of usage over that period. If the car is mainly just used for cruising about and not used for short journeys, then I see no issue here. Especially with such a good quality ester-synthetic oil, if it was a semi-synthetic, I would hold strong reservations.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 September 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 18 September 2010, 07:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil has a limited shelf-life... it's your risk !

IMHO

dunx