Sponsored by:

Looking to buy 1st subaru.

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2002, 02:49 AM
muddmatt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hello everyone. I have came across a 1999 Forester L, auto trans with 42,000miles and a good price(IMO). This is my first dealing with a subaru and wanted to know what to look out for and suggestions or links to where I could find more information on this vehicle ie. recalls, defaults,etc. I have just finished test-driving and was very impressed as was my wife(who will be driving the vehicle the most). Also, any information on aftermarket equipment would be appreicated. Thanks for your time, Matt. If you even care this is the reason for my username.
Old 05 April 2002, 07:01 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

hehehe
Not really my area of expertise hmmm I'd only make sure about FSH Seats etc arn't overly warn (to verify mileage) and make sure it isn't stolen. I dont even know if thats turbo charged or even a petrol model ... IIRC the "biggest" model they do here is the forester.

Welcome to the subaru clan
Old 05 April 2002, 07:10 AM
muddmatt
Scooby Newbie

It's not stolen....I checked the vin(I'm a cop). It has the 2.5L N/A boxter 4. I Have read somewhere that this year model had faulty master cylinders?? I noticed while driving that the brakes felt a little mushy. This model had fr/disc, rear/drums.
Old 05 April 2002, 08:06 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

If its common with the other marques then (and a phase1 engine) ie. MY97 - MY 98 then the problem your probably refering too is Piston "slap" and this is a well researched / covered topic in the drivetrain forum.

drums on the back! on that tank!? I think the standard subaru brakes (in standard form) are not really up to scratch (mine certainly arn't).

Only other thing to check would be the oil pull the dipstick out and see if its normal ( nice n black n gungy) if it smells odd or is discoloured it could imply a big end failure (read big bucks). If your concerned though I'd fork out for a triple A check (I think thats what the AA is over there) if they do such a thing so if anything does go wrong (that they should have spotted) you have some comeback. Mind you dont you have a lot more comprehensive laws for consumers to do with buying "lemons"?

[mindless rambling off]