Sponsored by:

400 bhp

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2010, 01:56 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 bhp

Hi, looking for some advise on achieving around 400 bhp on a Subaru wrx sti 2003
The plan is to have the car running as safe as possible at 400bhp so looking for information on what I would need for this?
At the moment the car is running 350 bhp
Spec
Full 3”milltek system
Walbro fuel pump
AEM cold air induction
GT spec Gen 2 headers
Harvey special up pipe
NGK PFR7B spark plugs
racedynamics remap

So if you can share your knowledge on a list for the next set of mods I will need that would be very helpful.
I have started the list with the turbo as I have already brought this.

MD321T
Old 03 September 2010, 02:06 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Set of 800cc injectors, MD321T and a remap should give you your 400bhp with a bit of scope for more. would poss drop another plug temp grade to racing 8's, I melted a 7 after 200 miles of fitting them but again it might have just been a dodgy plug

I had a very similar spec and with a MD321T+ with rotated turbo position and custom intake pipework the car made a comfortable 450bhp

edit...oh and get a fuel pressure regulator

Graeme

Last edited by G.Mac; 03 September 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03 September 2010, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

FMIC?
Old 03 September 2010, 02:32 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Think the V8 TMIC are capable up to 400bhp but if you intend going further:

FMIC if you want to future-proof it.....
Old 03 September 2010, 02:32 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by G.Mac
Set of 800cc injectors, MD321T and a remap should give you your 400bhp with a bit of scope for more. would poss drop another plug temp grade to racing 8's, I melted a 7 after 200 miles of fitting them but again it might have just been a dodgy plug

I had a very similar spec and with a MD321T+ with rotated turbo position and custom intake pipework the car made a comfortable 450bhp

edit...oh and get a fuel pressure regulator

Graeme
That sound’s good, so with a set of injectors I should achieve the power I’m looking for.
How would the engine internals cope with the power and do I need to upgrade pistons and con rods?
Old 03 September 2010, 02:34 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
FMIC?
I have heard a lot of mix opinions on this, and that the tmic can cope with up to 400bhp.
I think a fmic would be a good idea at this stage
Old 03 September 2010, 02:40 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by allsop83
Think the V8 TMIC are capable up to 400bhp but if you intend going further:

FMIC if you want to future-proof it.....
Cool, I would just like the engine to be as safe as possible and not run anything and its limit

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2010, 02:43 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

I'm running 400hp on my sti....already mentioned is the inj's but you get away with 650's, tmic will still see 400. You will be going for a better turbo than me so 400 easily on that small list!
Especially as you can sell your 550's and old turbo...all sweet!
Old 03 September 2010, 02:47 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

mine was running 450 bhp on the standard top mount, all on standard internals. Mine is a 2005 STI

what let mine down was a dodgy plug, when I pulled the engine all internals were fine and infact my bottom end is just about to go into a mates classic

My problem with the T+ was that the intake elbow was getting crushed under the inlet manifold and collapsing under full load hence why I went the rotated setup but I believe that the normal T's fit alot better in the standard position

My full spec at that time was
-MD321T+
-Custom cold air intake and intercooler pipework
-Modified H&S classic fitment rotated up pipe and down pipe to fit my newage, rest of the exhaust was a Meercat custom job
-Apexi AVCR with 3 port boost control solenoid
-Power enterprise flow matched 800cc injectors from lateral (will be for sale shortly as I am going for 1300's )
-Fuel Lab fuel pressure regulator set to 3.5 Bar
-Andy F remap running 1/3 bio ethanol
-oh and a bosch 255 lph fuel pump (was more or less maxed out at that power level)

Graeme

Last edited by G.Mac; 03 September 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03 September 2010, 06:45 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

How much torque are people running at?

I've got a 321T waiting to be fitted to my STI blob.

Also, what boost pressures are people running at and how early in the range are they seeing positive boost?
Old 03 September 2010, 06:48 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Subaruloz,

That extra 50bhp you wish to gain is going to cost you. Think wisely my friend.
What is your car being used for mate?

Did a full write up here that may be of some interest? https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-marmite.html

I managed to get 402.5bhp / 359lbft from tmic,550cc injectors, MD321T etc.
I changed to parrallel rails,turbo intake pipe and 5ltrs of meth. I got 411.5bhp / 375lbft before the clutch crapped itself.

The TMIC set up is good and in the winter you will see great spool etc. However come the warmer weather again the intake temps will put the ******* up you.

Steve

Last edited by Stevesbluewrx; 03 September 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03 September 2010, 06:56 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

mine was running 450 bhp on the standard top mount, all on standard internals. Mine is a 2005 STI

what let mine down was a dodgy plug, when I pulled the engine all internals were fine and infact my bottom end is just about to go into a mates classic

My problem with the T+ was that the intake elbow was getting crushed under the inlet manifold and collapsing under full load hence why I went the rotated setup but I believe that the normal T's fit alot better in the standard position

-MD321T+
-Modified H&S classic fitment rotated up pipe and down pipe to fit my newage, rest of the exhaust was a Meercat custom job
-Power enterprise flow matched 800cc injectors from lateral (will be for sale shortly as I am going for 1300's )
-oh and a bosch 255 lph fuel pump (was more or less maxed out at that power level)

Graeme
why are you going for 1300 injectors? and what power are you hoping to achieve on what fuel?
Old 03 September 2010, 06:57 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aXeL
How much torque are people running at?

I've got a 321T waiting to be fitted to my STI blob.

Also, what boost pressures are people running at and how early in the range are they seeing positive boost?
Mine was at about 420 lbs-ft of torque, was running 1.8 Bar of boost and had a bar of boost by about 3300 and full boost by 3600ish if memory serves

Graeme
Old 03 September 2010, 07:41 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

-MD321T+

Graeme
So the spec for your car at that time was sufficient for the power, and would run at a safe level?
Thanks for the information and when you decide to sell your injectors could you let me know please
Would be interested in them
Old 03 September 2010, 07:59 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthy55
why are you going for 1300 injectors? and what power are you hoping to achieve on what fuel?
got a 2.35 build on the go with dual AVCS heads, not sorted my fuel system yet as that is a work in progress
I will be running my engine in with the T+ before moving to a GT35/42 that I bought off Banny.
One of my maps will be at least a 50 / 50 mix of methanol and v power hence the large injectors plus when I paid for them Deatschwerks were offering 1200 cc injectors but they have stopped selling them and have produced their own 1300cc injectors as a replacement

Graeme
Old 03 September 2010, 08:08 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Mine was at about 420 lbs-ft of torque, was running 1.8 Bar of boost and had a bar of boost by about 3300 and full boost by 3600ish if memory serves

Graeme
1.8 bar - Interesting. I guess I'd need more than that to make over 400 lb/ft on my 2.0. No idea how much more though.
Old 03 September 2010, 08:09 PM
subaruloz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Subaruloz,

That extra 50bhp you wish to gain is going to cost you. Think wisely my friend.
What is your car being used for mate?

Did a full write up here that may be of some interest? https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...e-marmite.html

I managed to get 402.5bhp / 359lbft from tmic,550cc injectors, MD321T etc.
I changed to parrallel rails,turbo intake pipe and 5ltrs of meth. I got 411.5bhp / 375lbft before the clutch crapped itself.

The TMIC set up is good and in the winter you will see great spool etc. However come the warmer weather again the intake temps will put the ******* up you.

Steve
Very interesting read.
I can see what you mean deciding whether i really want to chase the big numbers as it becomes a diminishing return for the money, hopefully by the end of this thread I will be able to decide if it will be worth it. The main worry I had was the standard engine internals not being up to the job, at what sort of power would you start to upgrade the internals?
Old 03 September 2010, 09:23 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

I'm curious about using 1300cc injectors too. I thought the rule of thumb was to get the smallest injectors which suit the power requirement at 80% IDC. (Which at 450hp is ~885cc depending on the formula used).

I presume they'll be low latency injectors like the URs or PTEs as opposed to the PEs or latency is going to become a concern and the BPW will need to be adjusted which is like saying 'I'm slow so I'll have to squirt for longer to help compensate'. I'm going to guess that it's pointless to have larger injectors if the response times are going to be slower and compromise performance at high RPM and the 1300s will be significantly slower. I've also read on NASIOC that high impedance, high flow injectors can struggle with a smooth fuel delivery at low RPMs

I was looking at these:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/u...u-p-35198.html

I've seen lots of people on here raving about PE injectors but I've not seen anyone provide a quantitative comparison to proper low impedance injectors. At 11.5V the PE800s have a latency of 1.9ms which is shocking IMO.
Old 03 September 2010, 09:26 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Graeme

You do realise that when your having supposedly good spool a FMIC would make say a loss of 300rpm in spool yet its would give your car more power and far more torque
Old 04 September 2010, 12:59 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have similar car .
Did fmic . In wing air filter. Injectors. Pump. Sc46 turbo.
Standard apart from that.
Its a different car now. Mental.
Mic
Old 05 September 2010, 12:35 AM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

"Our own MY02 Sti type RA demo car uses a GT30 hybrid on a 2.5 conversion to achieve 520 lbft of torque and 470bhp whilst retaining the OE top mount intercooler ! These figures were supported with a 1/4 mile run in 11.0 seconds on a full weight newage car"
Old 05 September 2010, 01:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by aXeL
1.8 bar - Interesting. I guess I'd need more than that to make over 400 lb/ft on my 2.0. No idea how much more though.
Here's my RR graph - 2 litre, MD321t etc. 1.8bar of boost albeit car was struggling to hold it at the time as you can see from the graph.

TX.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RR results Mar 2010b.pdf (545.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05 September 2010, 01:58 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
i have similar car .
Did fmic . In wing air filter. Injectors. Pump. Sc46 turbo.
Standard apart from that.
Its a different car now. Mental.
Mic

what size exhaust are you using mic ??

i've just put my sc46 onto my03 sti going to fit a inner wing induction and leave the standard top mount intercooler/injectors/de cat 2 1/2" exhaust at this moment in time.

the car my sc46 came form origionally was only running standard injectors and was pushing out 411bhp

can't believe after the thousands i spent on my classic how much easier and cheaper it is to get good power from a newage
Old 05 September 2010, 02:20 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ They're too heavy though fella

TX.
Old 05 September 2010, 02:33 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
true, but in the modern world heavier car for everyday driving suits me.

but i don't understand why people try to compare the two they are completley different cars.

must say i'm impressed with the newage and actually think it suits my life much better than the classic i had before especially now i only have one car.
Old 05 September 2010, 08:47 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
the car my sc46 came form origionally was only running standard injectors and was pushing out 411bhp
422 / 400lbs

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
can't believe after the thousands i spent on my classic how much easier and cheaper it is to get good power from a newage
The VVT heads do help a lot with the already good foundation to start off from!

TX.
Fai17's newage did 10.78 on its first outing at totb. Hopefully my new age will be seeing this too!

Last edited by JP4; 05 September 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05 September 2010, 09:02 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My injectors were close to max'd out at around 400 bhp on a "H" so I fitted an FPR and up'd the fuel pressure to 4 bar static for some headroom.

dunx
Old 05 September 2010, 10:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by JP4
Fai17's newage did 10.78 on its first outing at totb. Hopefully my new age will be seeing this too!
is it 400hp

TX.
Old 05 September 2010, 10:50 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Thing I don't Understand is from some of the replys is what is the OP's car going to be used for?

If it is going to be used for everyday of the week the "T" is a great option on the AVCS heads. 550cc good but your going to almost hit the max cycle for them so a uprated FPR will be required.

I'd also be tempted to go FMIC unless like some above are using the car for drag where you get a chance to open the bonnet after a good ragging.

I'm not a tuner or a mechanic and maybe sometimes that shows in my answers or questions but I had to test to where I found the limit of the TMIC, 550cc MD321T etc.

A TMIC with a MD321T is a great set up. Cannot stand it when people say "it's laggy" . It's not , just later spool next to a "H" etc. That goes for when adding a FMIC. In real road driving terms you do not notice it.

On a 2.0ltr EJ207 I hit 1.75bar by 4,200revs approx (320bhp/300lbft) then the turbo keeps going holding 1.6/1.5 bar to give me 453bhp/386lbft. Plenty enough for the road unless its on track or the strip etc.

It may not suit everyones drivings but personally for me on a everyday motor it works well and can have the power when I want it etc.

I am sure to be shot down in flames but hey it's an open forum with different ideas and input.

But what I'd like to know is how come some people on a 2.0ltr can make more than 400lbft? I know Blobeyes make better power over a bugeye STi for instance but how does that happen?

Steve
Old 05 September 2010, 10:52 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Here's my RR graph - 2 litre, MD321t etc. 1.8bar of boost albeit car was struggling to hold it at the time as you can see from the graph.

TX.
TX,

What's the full spec mate?

Steve

Quick Reply: 400 bhp