Lost key and Disklok on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2010, 11:00 AM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost key and Disklok on!!!!

Hi all

Really pi$$ed off at the mo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had the P1 keys on me while working and being in and out of the house the other day and may have dropped them out of a pocket possibly along my travels ...

I've searched the house and can't find them anywhere at the mo and have traced my steps from the places I visited on the day and no luck.

I've got a spare remote and key for the car but unfortunatly only had one key for the disklock which was with the lost key!!!

So now I'm stuffed as the disklok is on the car in the drive.

Will have to wait till after the bank holiday weekend to give the company a call to see what can be done to remove the disklok unless anyone can advise but my main concern is the possible lost key and remote.

So for peace of mind I am thinking of replacing the ignition barrel and door/boot locks with a new set.

As our P1's don't use coded keys AFAIK, would this be a straight forward job and would I be able to buy a replacment set from Subaru?? any idea of cost anyone??

Also is it possible to change the remote alarm setting so that the lost remote would no longer work on the car and to buy a replacment spare remote from Subaru??

Luckily the P1 is a second car and is not our main means of transport but I'm really pi$$sed off with myself at the mo for losing the key.....rushing around trying to get things done and having too much stuff in my pockets!!!!!!!!

Any help and advice appriciated!!!

Thanks.

Jay.
Old 29 August 2010, 11:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Locksmith I think or if you have the tag from the disklok you can order a new key

Tony
Old 29 August 2010, 11:12 AM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Try paying a local Baghead twenty quid. I'm sure he'd have it off in a jiffy....
Old 29 August 2010, 11:21 AM
playtime
Scooby Regular

if you have breakdown asst they may be able to help
Old 29 August 2010, 12:12 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere that the yellow disklock can be removed by a thief in 30 secs where as the silver one will take em 15 mins...

I know its no help but just thought i`d share,lol
Old 29 August 2010, 12:39 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Haven't you got spare keys for the disklock, I'm sure mine came with 3?
Old 29 August 2010, 12:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geoteds2002
Try paying a local Baghead twenty quid. I'm sure he'd have it off in a jiffy....
What a worthwhile contribution. SN needs more members like you.
Old 29 August 2010, 01:16 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
What a worthwhile contribution. SN needs more members like you.
Thank you, you're very kind.

It's not your thread so if you don't mind, keep your opinions to yourself.

It was a valid suggestion as there is always somebody who knows somebody who may be able to do this.....

Last edited by Geoteds2002; 30 August 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 29 August 2010, 04:55 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

If I was you I would get a cheap wheel clamp and put it on the car until you get it sorted, not nice knowing someone has a full set of keys to your car, if lost local they may stumble upon your car and have it away. As for disklok best to contact them on tuesday if no rush. If classic alarm like newage when programming new remote it wipes all old ones.
Old 29 August 2010, 05:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not your thread so if you don't keep your opinions to yourself.

then what
Old 29 August 2010, 05:44 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

As has been already said they come with 3 keys so are the other 2 already lost?
Old 29 August 2010, 06:46 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

the only other thing i can think of is a large angle grinder and cut the lock part of the disklok, appreciatte it will get messy and dusty but............good luck matey
Old 29 August 2010, 11:08 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

I'd try drilling the lock first with a carbide drill bit, if you can get sufficient access to it.

Alternatively, freeze the lock with this - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13369/...4A4WCSTHZOCFFY , then belt it with a hammer taking care not to bend the steering column

Last edited by FB Tuning; 30 August 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 29 August 2010, 11:52 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You should put the "Superlock" on the alarm. It disables the remote keys, so you'll have to use the PIN. It won't stop people getting in it with the key, but they won't be able to disarm the alarm or immobiliser.

If you just re-program the fob you have now, it will disable any other fobs anyway. So I suppose its better than the superlock, as it permanently block outs the lost fob.

Can't offer any advice on the disklok though mate. Mine come with 3 keys also.
Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited by joey_turbo; 29 August 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 30 August 2010, 05:31 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't get a disc lock off in 15 mins, unless you use a grinder, saw a bloke leave his on in a car park 3 weeks ago. He called the AA and when they turned up looked at every option, but as the locking barrel is hardened steel, he advised the bloke to get the train back to norhampton to get his spare key. I tried my key,it did fit but would not open. They are thatcham approved and even the most determined & professional car thief will tend not to bother with a car fitted with one, unless they are taking it with a low loader IMHO. As said above these come supplied with 3 keys as std , and spares can be bought if you quote the serial number which might be a bit difficult for you at the moment as it is on a sticker on the inside of the disclock and the keys are blank.
Looks like you might have to use an angle grinder and grind the lock off, make sure you turn the disclock barrel to the floor(180 degrees) and pull your seat right back to save possibly cracking your windscreen.
Old 30 August 2010, 08:54 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

P lambo please remove post and send that as a pm we dont want the scum bags reading it and doing the same thing .

Op yhm.
Old 30 August 2010, 08:56 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile angle grinder.

Originally Posted by B4D HK
the only other thing i can think of is a large angle grinder and cut the lock part of the disklok, appreciatte it will get messy and dusty but............good luck matey
You will get ya lock off but will set fire to the car not the best advice hey h lol
Old 30 August 2010, 10:12 AM
brownysti
Scooby Regular

What you need is a CARBIDE DRILL these will drill through the lock like a warm knife through butter we use them at work for drilling armour plate for the MOD.
Old 30 August 2010, 11:51 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R5_GTT_Steve
I read somewhere that the yellow disklock can be removed by a thief in 30 secs where as the silver one will take em 15 mins...

I know its no help but just thought i`d share,lol
I read in a Which report that in tests, the yellow disklok was the only one that couldn't be readily removed. After 42 minutes with an angle grinder the engineer gave up. All the other devices tested were removed in less than 20 minutes. After that I went and bought one and I can see why. 30secs my @ss. That was in '95. Never had a car touched since.
Old 30 August 2010, 12:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Axel, wonder if he meant the half disc one that halfords sold? rather than the full on disklok?? think those didnt last that long to a prolonged attack, though faired better than things like stoplock which took one hit to break off

Tony
Old 30 August 2010, 12:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by brownysti
What you need is a CARBIDE DRILL these will drill through the lock like a warm knife through butter we use them at work for drilling armour plate for the MOD.
Hmmm maybe, but these have free rotating locks, drilling them is a bit difficult as they just go round and round and round....

Tony
Old 30 August 2010, 12:17 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Axel, wonder if he meant the half disc one that halfords sold? rather than the full on disklok?? think those didnt last that long to a prolonged attack, though faired better than things like stoplock which took one hit to break off

Tony
I forgot about that one, good point.
Old 30 August 2010, 01:19 PM
scooblee
Scooby Regular

Disklock is a disklock, yellow or silver they are the same.

Good luck matey and hope that whatever way it comes off your car will be ok.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:35 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice people...

I've had the disklok for a long time now and when moving house a few times the spare key has been misplaced...may even be in the house somewhere so thats the first point of call to do a thorough search for it.

If I can't find it then the disklok will have to be forced off in one way or another....I have some cobalt drill bits I might try on the barrel but as stated by one of you guy's if they are rotating then i'm doubtfull this may work!

Will keep you all posted of my progress...luckily the car is not our main means of transport so it's not mega urgent which will give me the chance to have a real good dig around the house for the spare key....it's the full round version.

Countless times I've thought to myself I've got to get a spare key ordered up for it or even note down the code from the inner side of it but it just got pushed aside with one thing or another....I wish I did'nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even when I get the disklok off, I'm going to have to change the ignition barrel and door/boot locks for a new set as I don't want to risk having the lost key still being useable...even though I've got a spare key and remote for the car!!!!
Old 31 August 2010, 10:37 AM
scooblee
Scooby Regular

There is still honest people about mate and it maybe worth checking with the local police or a lost and found, library, any local council building and even in the local paper as the keys may have been handed in somewhere or kept to see if anyone advertises them lost, you never know.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thank you, you're very kind.

It's not your thread so if you don't mind, keep your opinions to yourself.

It was a valid suggestion as there is always somebody who knows somebody who may be able to do this.....
No it wasnt, it was an ignorant and foolish suggestion: which is how it made you look. Youd be better of keeping your worthless opinion to yourself in future.

Now be quiet.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
I'd try drilling the lock first with a carbide drill bit, if you can get sufficient access to it.

Alternatively, freeze the lock with this - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13369/...4A4WCSTHZOCFFY , then belt it with a hammer taking care not to bend the steering column
Ex tea leaf

TX.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

OP, if you have a non airbag type steering wheel then I can tell you how to remove the lock via PM, but you may struggle to find the kit that itll require. Itll cost you a steering wheel, of course.

Failing this the next most likely method will involve a very good quality self tapping screw/small coach bolt and a dent puller. Thisll work if there is clearance from the lock (when roatated anti-clockwise by ninety degrees from vertical) along the dash top. You will need to cover the dash with a blanket to avoid damage, but if youre hard and fluid (sounds wrong, eh? ) then it may well come out in one. Youll need a second person to hold the lock whilst you do this, and also whilst you hammer/screw in the self tapping bolt.

Simon
Old 31 August 2010, 02:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I will replace this double post with the following: if you use a freeze spray, as FB has suggested, then it will help with my suggested method too.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 31 August 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:50 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do these have a normal style key, or the circle type key?

Quick Reply: Lost key and Disklok on!!!!