Sponsored by:

Anyone driven a 350Z before?

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2010, 04:22 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone driven a 350Z before?

Any guys on here moved from a Nissan 350Z to a scoob or vice versa?

Having had a scoob for the last 5 years I fancy a bit of a change.
Two cars I have my eye on is an evo or a 350Z.
Really want an evo 9 but that's a bit over my budget, so am looking at a Z as I've always liked the look of them.

I admit I know nothing about them, so anyone care to tell me what the most powerful model is? and how it would compare to a remapped hawkeye wrx (285/340) in terms of performance and fuel economy.

Have my eye on this lovely white one
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Old 28 August 2010, 05:14 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be a little wary as it is a fresh import and the only way you can bring one over at the moment to make any money is if your buying a dog or a repaired one. It should have FSH withand an auction sheet.
Old 28 August 2010, 05:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Have always liked the look of them too. Any reports I have read on them suggest they are
fun, but rather skittish in the wet (worse than the average rwd). That puts me off a bit.

I have a similar choice and will be going for another Scoob, albeit a 2006 STi.

Either will be good though!
Old 28 August 2010, 05:28 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

My friend has 350z import with body kit,car is **** happy,high reving narrow power band,320bhp.Nice gearbox good brakes,boring shape,well I run 320bhp STI Wagon,can out pace him in all aspects,fuel about the same 30mpg cruisin,low 20s around town.Would I have one? no does not do it for me
Old 28 August 2010, 08:42 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Ive had one. Felt quite slow and heavy. Lots of noise in the cabin from the tyres. Plastics look terribly cheap.
I sold it on within 5 months.
Old 28 August 2010, 09:20 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

brother in-law has one, nice motor but he went from a z4 to it, so step in the right direction, but still no scooby
Old 29 August 2010, 01:27 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lloydee
Any guys on here moved from a Nissan 350Z to a scoob or vice versa?

Having had a scoob for the last 5 years I fancy a bit of a change.
Two cars I have my eye on is an evo or a 350Z.
Really want an evo 9 but that's a bit over my budget, so am looking at a Z as I've always liked the look of them.

I admit I know nothing about them, so anyone care to tell me what the most powerful model is? and how it would compare to a remapped hawkeye wrx (285/340) in terms of performance and fuel economy.

Have my eye on this lovely white one
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Don't do it... Just part exchanged my 300bhp 350z for an STI and I'll never look back. Check this post.

https://www.scoobynet.com/west-yorks...d-a-remap.html

350z is a nightmare to drive on country roads and isn't all that fast in a straight line. It feels fast but you'll find people in M3s, EVOs, STIs and even the BMW 135i pulling away from you with ease.

No turbo so if it's not powerful enough you'll be stuck having to try sell or spending £3-5k having a turbo fitted because anything less than that and you'll struggle to get and extra 30bhp.

People aren't buying those types of cars either. I bought mine in October 2009 for £12500, got it cheap because it needed new tyres plus a full service, MOT, front and rear brake pads and two wheels reconditioning. Spent £1500 getting it sorted. Spent about £14000 all in then had to settle for £10500 two weeks ago. Lost £3500 in 7 months.

Known problems you need to watch out for are the clicking noise from rear axle. Nissan didn't grease them properly and they can be expensive to fix although I know a cheap way which doesn't require you to replace any components. The other which is the one that annoyed me, when it's anything less than a really warn day the Bose multichanger stereo wouldn't read CDs properly, it's a known problem. most people removed the stereo and added a cable to the circuit board so they could play their ipods through the cassette player.

PM me if you have any questions. Spent a lot of time researching the 350z before I bought mine. My mates told me to buy an Impreza back then but I stupidly ignored them and soon found myself looking to sell.
Old 29 August 2010, 01:33 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

missed your question.

my mates remapped classic wrx running 270bhp could keep up with me on country roads, 350z was slightly faster in a straight line.

my 2005 blobeye running between 250-265bhp matched its pace. just had it remapped to 334.1bhp and I can tell you that the 350z would be left for dust. Even in a straight line the 350z wouldn't stand a chance because the torque of a remapped STI is about 80lb greater than the 350z.

so yes a remapped hawkeye would massively out perform a 350z. a standard one with just prodrive would as well.
Old 29 August 2010, 11:49 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had one for 2 years now although the boy uses it more then the misses and me
Looks great ours is silver with black leather GT kit and milltech exhaust and induction kit
Sounds great turns heads but ....
Fuel economy 22mpg
Insurance group 17
Car tax £260 I think
Servicing
Small oil change £169
Big £399
Needs pads and discs dealer £600
Can get for £380 through Z club
Just put droplinks on as worn £190
Dealer £400
Rear diff to tackle next month £200

Electric window has packed up too
Performance wheelspins like crazy
Tyres £159 each for back lasts 12000 only
Mid range as fast as my classic but ... When you come to the corners forget it and you have to brake
In our last er fast run I pulled a minute on him over 12 minutes run
Rain leave it at home it's that bad
Even got stuck on wet cobbles and had to get 2 oap to push us out I kid you not
Snow forget it had to take the boy to work for five days in the snow in January in the Subaru
350z forget it
The boy is seeing sense and will get a scooby next
Old 30 August 2010, 12:03 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It does look good though and the boy turns heads with it everyware although the new tt is a better all round car
It's a very tiring car to drive in town and parking it is a nightmare the wife hates it to reverse and you just don't realise how wide it is , reverse it into a puddle and you might need a push out
Old 30 August 2010, 06:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris84
missed your question.

my mates remapped classic wrx running 270bhp could keep up with me on country roads, 350z was slightly faster in a straight line.

my 2005 blobeye running between 250-265bhp matched its pace. just had it remapped to 334.1bhp and I can tell you that the 350z would be left for dust. Even in a straight line the 350z wouldn't stand a chance because the torque of a remapped STI is about 80lb greater than the 350z.

so yes a remapped hawkeye would massively out perform a 350z. a standard one with just prodrive would as well.
They are totally different cars deigned to do different things, you can't compare them like that.
Old 30 August 2010, 07:15 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
They are totally different cars deigned to do different things, you can't compare them like that.
How else would you compare them?

Yes they look sexy, my partner hated me for selling it initially but she came round after a drive over the Peak District. She was concerned too much about what people thought when they see her getting in and out of it to realise that the Scooby is a far superior car.

The only time the 350z with its 3.5ltr V6 seemed better was in a straight line but after a remap of the Scooby it doesn't even have that now.

Don't get me wrong I liked the car but it was more of a posers car than a drivers car.

Old 30 August 2010, 09:01 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris84
How else would you compare them?

Yes they look sexy, my partner hated me for selling it initially but she came round after a drive over the Peak District. She was concerned too much about what people thought when they see her getting in and out of it to realise that the Scooby is a far superior car.

The only time the 350z with its 3.5ltr V6 seemed better was in a straight line but after a remap of the Scooby it doesn't even have that now.

Don't get me wrong I liked the car but it was more of a posers car than a drivers car.

Maybe some Drivers prefer RWD over point and squirt AWD?

I'm not a big 'Zed' fan but there is more to cars than raw numbers.

Yes the 'Zed' is a bit 'posery' but it's not a bad car.

FYI I'd rather have a 350GT.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:13 AM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

No idea how it is to drive but I know one round my bit has tried it on with me a few times and still hasn't seen me in the rear view yet
Old 30 August 2010, 10:17 AM
waseem1978
Scooby Newbie

Hi All,
I have a 350z but thinking for a change to a scooby