Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted bike carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2002, 10:57 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my little girl is insisting on taking her Barbie bike on hols, I have to get a rear mounted bike carrier. Girls eh.

Anyone know of one which you can attach over a MY00 high spoiler?

Thanks!
Old 04 April 2002, 07:37 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Can't offer any solid advice but these people may be able to help : http://www.autorack.co.uk. Don't forget that you have to make sure that the bike completely obscures your number plate and lights.
Old 04 April 2002, 07:13 PM
ScottTalling
Scooby Newbie

I'm currently sorting out a towbar (discrete removeable swan neck variety) and towball mounted bike rack for an STi7.

See this thread:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=84578

(Sorry - as I'm posting this it looks like you'll have to copy and past the link into a browser window as it's not showing as a hyperlink).

I think you're after a 'strap on' (sounds fun?) type rack which are admittedly much more economical (I currently have one from Halfords bought for a different car). The only things I found was that i) it's an absolute pain to put on (and adjust regularly as it 'beds in' after fitting and the straps loosen, and ii) you can't get in the boot with it on.

OK for occasional use though - I think the one we have is Halfords own brand and cost about £80, but do consider the drawbacks.

Any coments from any one else on the subject (I'd be interested myself)?

Scott
Old 04 April 2002, 09:24 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info so far folks!

Scott - does the Halfords model sit over the high spoiler?? Can you remember what its called? Halfords were doing 20% off last weekend too. Bu66er.

It will only be occasional use - cant see me wanting to motor around much with a little pink bike on the macho scoob!

Old 04 April 2002, 11:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also watch for the huge price difference. I was told that only the Thule one's are available for the roof.

I'm just about to buy a set for my MY99 RB5.

Cost is approx £110 just for the bars and another £35-£65 for individual bike mounts.

So, for two bike it's gonna cost between £170 and £230 roughly

I did think about hanging them off the boot, but people have reported getting nice dents in the boot lid using them

Stefan
Old 04 April 2002, 11:52 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I think Roofboxes are slightly cheaper for the Thule stuff. To be honest, your only going to save £20 or so buying over the web than popping down to your local Halfords.
Old 05 April 2002, 08:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...and finally, it's a "Dartmoor" type that I have.

Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 05 April 2002, 09:06 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Question

Chiark,

Have you had any probs with the rack denting the boot lid??

Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 10:40 AM
wullie-g
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

if you go for the roof rack route dont get the thule one as the mounting points are round the window frames and there just not strong in high winds £500/and 2 big dents in ma roof/ later found out that subarus roof bars have a total dif mounting points and are much better so i would stick with the subaru ones
Old 05 April 2002, 11:24 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

Not so far... The load seems pretty well spread - but check first to make sure you're happy

Nick.
Old 05 April 2002, 02:01 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chiark, I see you add the usual disclaimer

Ok, I think I'll look at the Paddy Hopkirk ones and put some additional tough rubber under the bars to spread the load across more of the boot lid.

Wullie,

I'm glad Halfords never had the fitting kit in stock otherwise I'd be the not-so-proud owner of some Thule bars.

Can you remove the Subaru ones easily? I only need to use them 2 weekends out of the month, so don't want to drive around with them stuck to the car all the time.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 10:13 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have a boot mounted rack by Rhode Gear. It fits under the standard high wing on my RB5 and has been secure so far. If I'm going any distance I take the wheels and saddle off so it's just the frame strapped on and then you can forget about it and really go for it (such as warp speed along the A470 in Wales to and from Coed Y Brenin )
Old 06 April 2002, 12:28 AM
wullie-g
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

ozzy just go to your local dealer and im sure he will tell you all about them there easy to go and they cost about£130 better safe than sorry
Old 06 April 2002, 10:58 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have a "grabber" rack fits over 02 spoiler no probs. very adjustable. just off on a weeks hols with 3 bikes on it.grabber are a usa company.(they have a web site)
what i did was ignore halfords et al and went to a bike shop.they were more than happy to fit it on in the yard to see it worked and fitted over the spoiler.
cost about £80.
i have had several types over the years. the best was the one that fits on the tow bar but i don't have a tow bar any more so this is next best.
hope that helps
Old 06 April 2002, 10:18 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for all the good info. The grabber sounds good and not badly priced either.

I would have stuck the bikes on the roof, but I've need a roofbox when going on hols. The roofbox sits on top of Thule aerobars, which are pretty good - oval profile in sexy aluminium so look the part - attach pretty easily except for having to measure from windscreen to position them correctly. Never had a problem, even at speed.

I think it'll have to be a wagon next time!
Old 04 May 2002, 12:29 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

How about roof bars and a bike carrier?
You can use the bars for other purposes. Don't need an extra number plate and lights. Small bike should be easy enough to lift into position. You can still get in the boot, spoiler irrelevant.
But, extra drag, and watch out for low car park roofs.

[Edited by speedking - 4/5/2002 12:30:30 AM]
Old 04 May 2002, 09:37 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Mine's a paddy hopkirk one, bought from Chevin Cycles in Otley. The straps fit UNDER the spoiler to the edge of the boot near the window, so a larger spoiler will pose no problems
(MY00 4 door)

Paddy hopkirk also have a website.

[Edited by chiark - 4/5/2002 9:39:56 AM]