Sponsored by:

Leaving the scoob for 5 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2010, 09:53 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving the scoob for 5 weeks

any tips on if I should do anything before I go away? It's always parked outside. Hoping that fiance will give it a blast every few days for a couple of weeks cos it hates being sat for more than 3 days as the rear brakes stick.

Cheers ppl!
Old 17 August 2010, 10:15 PM
scooby2010
Scooby Regular

as long as its gettin used every couple of days she'll be fine,if not handbreak off and in gear is a good idea as the breaks stick and chain her up to a lamp post hahaha
Old 18 August 2010, 12:16 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

My 520bhp 2003 STI is my second car and it quite regularly sits around for 3 to 4 weeks without being driven without any problems. It sometimes takes a couple of turns before it comes to life but thats just because the fuel has evaporated from the engine/fuel lines.
Old 18 August 2010, 01:17 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a solar powered battery trickle charger. Should hopefully stop the alarm draining the battery too much.
Not sure what model year it is, but if it has a Sigma alarm, look at putting the Superlock on. Its deactivates the key fob, so you'll need the PIN to start. It will also save even more battery drain.
Old 18 August 2010, 11:21 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siannie
any tips on if I should do anything before I go away? It's always parked outside. Hoping that fiance will give it a blast every few days for a couple of weeks cos it hates being sat for more than 3 days as the rear brakes stick.

Cheers ppl!
I'm having the same problem with my classic 00 after a week or so the rear brakes are sticking even though i leave it in gear /handbrake off in the garage

any tips ?
Old 19 August 2010, 09:47 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
I'm having the same problem with my classic 00 after a week or so the rear brakes are sticking even though i leave it in gear /handbrake off in the garage

any tips ?
I've been told it's sticky calipers - got this forwarded to me on a previous thread:

Originally Posted by Ian Godney
It's probably the calipers more than a handbrake problem , it might just be the sliders , you can remove these quite easily , there are tow bolts around the back of the calipers holding the hydraulic part of the caliper to the caliper carriers , remove these 2 bolts and lift the caliper out of the way , and take out the sliders , these just pull out , they should move freely , if not clean them up , if need be hand turn a drill bit in the holes in the carriers to clean them out , re-grease them and fit them back in.

Check that the pads haven't got stuck in place , clean off around the ends of the pads , and where they sit in the carriers , if these are corroded in place it might cause these problems.

The last thing it could be , which is more involved if you don't know what your doing , it could be the caliper piston corroded or seized , you could get someone to pump the pedal gently to get the piston to come out of the caliper some of the way , peel back the seal and check it out , if its just caked in dust or muck , you could clean them gently with some WD40 and a scouring pad , they should move back into the calipers fairly easily , if not then they really need to be taken out , checked , replaced if they are rusty , and the top lip in the bore of the calipers cleaned off of any rust or muck.

I have made some stainless steel pistons for these that don't rust if you do need a piston , can also supply seal kits , or even recondition your caliper

Cheers Ian
01656 723060