Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Whats a 'boy-racer'

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 06:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what constitutes a boy racer then? As you know I have a VTS (boy-racerish car) and I'll happily race another vehicle....But....only when I feel that the circumstances are safe and that the other driver is being responsible and is doing so out of fun and not anger. Does this make me a boy-racer? I've read lots of posts from scooby drivers on this forum that would seem to enjoy a 'tussel' (as I like to call it) in this manner. I never provoke people into a race, it's quite easy to make your intentions clear without causing danger or alarm.

This is a serious question by the way, please don't put it straight into the hands of the muppets!

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 4/3/2002 6:23:24 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 05:37 PM
yoza
BANNED

Smile

Just from this small parragraph,you qualify,go to the top of the class!
Old 03 April 2002, 05:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

For what reason? Your not saying that none of the scooby drivers on this site ever open her up are you?
Old 03 April 2002, 05:57 PM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

No not at all,they will all be in that class when you get there
Old 03 April 2002, 06:27 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Saxoboy,

Nope. You're right. EVERY scooby driver on here drives at exactly the speed limit - until they get to the trackday
Old 03 April 2002, 06:29 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

*cough* boll0cks *cough*
Old 03 April 2002, 06:55 PM
Brynweb
Scooby Regular

Personally, I don't see 'having a race' as being a boy-racer.

My interpretation would be someone who drives a Nova, or XR2 with big f**k off spoilers, massive spot-lights, but no engine.

Y'know - schoolkids!
Old 03 April 2002, 08:57 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Im no Boy Racer, Im a man racer. But seriously if you drove in a typical boy racer manner, but you had a Ferrari 355 would people call you a BR. Or would you get called a TW@T, flash git whathaveyou. Its just a name anyhow, so don't worry about it, just get on with yer life!

Richard
Old 03 April 2002, 09:02 PM
The Gravedigger
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I think it's about racing, people may say "boy racer" to belittle, but it's about racing, and that happens everywhere regardless of what car you drive.
Old 03 April 2002, 09:06 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd better not comment on this one (boxter s thread says it all really)

shunty
Old 03 April 2002, 09:56 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I have an almost standard Fiesta Zetec-S and I dont ever bother racing people. I do tend accelerate hard, but not really excessively speed.

However, because its "that type of car" I get labelled a boyracer. Its usually by people who have no interest in cars.

Gettin a Scoob asap and hopefully ppl will change their view of me then (and i can accelerate at proper speed)

Andy
Old 04 April 2002, 11:18 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I wasn't aware it was safe to race on public roads.
Old 04 April 2002, 11:25 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Cool

Someone who drives a car with a spoiler and bonnet scoop...so I've deduced from the amount of times I get called a boy racer!
Old 04 April 2002, 11:31 AM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

I have just aquired my dads old Golf GTI, its got big(ish) wheels and a Magnex, so do I qualify at 31 ?

And more to the point does my dad still qualify at 54, he is mental sometimes, wherever he goes he sees opportunites to "Have a go"
Old 04 April 2002, 11:34 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

My local industrial park on a sunday night, hundreds of novas and saxo`s all with scooby vents and evo vents and fins 3 times the size of their ca, yet they dont acctulay seem to be interest3d in driving, they would rather park up and wear baseball caps.

What is it with boy racers and baseball caps, sure loads of people where caps, but why do boy racer cars have a 100% cap to kd ratio.

Im gone head up ther one night with 10 baseball caps on, thatll teach em

OO OOO OO and driving around and around and around and around the same rout of the estate or town centre, WHY??? why o why o why were you even born? go home, read a book , sorry fogot you cant.
Old 04 April 2002, 11:42 AM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Typicaly i would genralise, there's a group that drive about Dorking with max'ed up nova's and Golf driver's et all with purple indicators big zorst's and loud stero's. They typically seem to have low power vehciles and generally rev the tit's out of them wherever possible, with the stereo's kicking out 80dB.

This lot also drive in around in a "possy" as they call themselves, this to mee seems like a rolling scoob or any other car meet, most nights of the week (taste in question perhaps !!)

Kool as far as i'm concerned but the stereo's **** me off late at night and my major gripe with the local lot anyrate is that they all drive with full beam and fog lights on all the time, and around some of our local back roads it aint funny getting that lot in ya face whilst your are trying to get around a corner !!!!

Keep at it and turn the fog light's off !!!!

Phill
Old 04 April 2002, 11:46 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

hehe i can see people kicking off now at me, but if everyone who drives with a big stereo and big exhaust with big wings on their cars classed as a boy racer.....

Do I qualify with my MY99 STI-V, 5" HKS Super Dragger TiTip Exhaust and Alpine ICE???
Old 04 April 2002, 11:51 AM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Boyracer walks into a sports shop and picks up a baseball cap.
Ask's shop assistant;
'ave you got these with the peak facing backwards mate!

Old 04 April 2002, 11:59 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

boy racer:under 21(boy)drives around racing other cars(racer)
its simple,the b b cap is an option that they all seem to go for as is the very loud music system and stick on scooby vents!!!

prefered cars: 1 saxo 2 nova 3 corsa 4 fiesta 5 106

yes they pi$$ us off but we were all young once and i bet 9 out of 10 of us did the same thing back in the day.
(most of us still do!!!)
we have high powered cars for a reason and its not for pulling caravans is it?

Old 04 April 2002, 12:05 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

I got no real problem with it other than sitting outside my flat at 2am turing it into a p*ssed bloke/girl magnet when i have to be up a at 6am !!

And er headlights, full beam and foggys there is simply no need for it , rant over !!!

Phill

Old 04 April 2002, 12:09 PM
JayCole
Scooby Regular

I guess I may be a boy racer having a 106 Gti but I'm the same as saxo boy.

My idea of a boy racer is - Novas etc having Jumbo 747 style wings no engine to match and sat up your **** trying to race you all the bloody time.

Now my car isn't the fastest around but at least it's got decent acceleration.

Old 04 April 2002, 12:25 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Jonny Gav - my sentiments exactly. Some people forget when they were young, or they were 40 @ birth
I do agree that some are dangerous, the small element that are completely daft but you get that with middle aged blokes in normal cars who don't wear baseball caps every daynow thats sad

I regularly get guys in the fast lane @ exactly 70 with no-one in the middle lane for ages, as soon as I go into middle lane & speed-up a bit they put there foot down to box you in.....so funny when you have the power to pull away fastly but safely in the middle lane
Then same "normal" guy will take all-sorts of risks to get back in front of you, sometimes I deliberatly pull back into middle lane & let them pass then flash them into a space I have created in the middle lane....this confuses them & make them feel like a di*k
I get this all the time with the 35-50 aged group....I think they are failed in life & havn't got what they wanted...just my opinion of course.

shunty
Old 04 April 2002, 12:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

As far as I'm concerned a true boy racer is someone still in the honeymoon period after passing his test. He has to LOVE cars, he has been buying all the car mags pre test and studying them in anticipation of when he can get behind the wheel on his own. If he's lucky he may have bought a car of his own, or otherwise drives his mums car on the family insurance. Everyone here knows the thrill of driving, and now this person is getting stimulation overload every time he's behind the wheel. With it comes percieved invincibility, car control adventures and the need to make every journey a qualifying lap.

"I may not be the fastest on the road, but no-one can drive my mums polo 1.0E quicker than I can"

Its a passing phase, boy grows into man - usually when they have to start paying for their own insurance policy.

Anyone who drives like a boy racer but should know better isn't a boy racer, just a ****

BTW this theory applies to girls too

Justin
Old 04 April 2002, 12:53 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

Smile

> BTW this theory applies to girls too

Try telling that to the insurance companies!
Old 04 April 2002, 02:20 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Angry

I would disagree totally, im only 25, and younger than (or same age as) most boy racers.

I currently drive a 99 turbo, and saving (not easy) for a skyline or 911.

I have never done the boy racer thing, never will.

to me it shows nothing but sheer lack of intelligence.

I have the need for thrills and excitement, but get them else where, where its safe, we all enjoy a blast, some push harder than others but this is irrelivant. The boy racer thing is not a youth thing, its an immature thing, some people stay this mental age (due to lack of suitable peer groups, or whatever culture they are surrounded by).

My close friend, also a keen car enthusiast, as well as i simply cant understand the mentality behind he boy racer.

Don’t confuse it with youth, as there are many 21 year old drivers who love fast cars, yet have the intelligence and good sense not to be silly boy racers

The ethos, hay we re all young once wont wash with me, most of us still are (even if its at heart) they CHOOSE to be that way.

Life if full of people who do not take responsibility for their actions, its what separates the men form the bys, they chose to be boys, and act immature regardless of physical age.

Talk to some of them, youll soon deduce their personality, “yeh mush, F*Ckin cruzzz, I lovez it I doez, I iz wicked in my saxo I iz”

Um yes im sure you are, and what do you do for a living? Oh yes you scrounge or have no carrier prospects, but hay, your choice.

AND RELAX………… :P

[Edited by catflap - 4/4/2002 3:23:45 PM]
Old 04 April 2002, 02:33 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Catflap - & you edited that as well, what was it like before

shunty
Old 04 April 2002, 02:34 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Angry

lol just naff spelling, hay joys of being a dyslexic (and im a teacher doh!!) and trying to become a doctor hehehe I IZ ACE I IZ
Hence my rant, some of us unfortunate have disabilities, some more detrimental than others, but i realy struggle to read, and write (although years of hard work have made this better) There is no excuse for such thick idiots, CHOOSING to act and behave they way they are, and most of them are not fine young men who enjoy fast cars, most of the ones ive met are scummy little toe rags, the very same fort of toe rags that laff as people in wheelchairs, drive stoned, take the **** out of people who have difficulty in reading (till i show em im also a 4th dan in ninjutsu, ) and in general dont have the intelligence to comprehend or even understand others points of view.

But such is life, live and let live, they make their choice, they are responsible for their actions, just annoys me when they interfere with others (road rage and the like)

[Edited by catflap - 4/4/2002 3:44:30 PM]
Old 04 April 2002, 03:20 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

catflap - are you really dyslexic ? apologies then I had no idea obviously

edited due to me going off subject

shunty

[Edited by shunty - 4/4/2002 4:23:02 PM]
Old 04 April 2002, 03:22 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

just go southend on sea you get ever type down there, its amusing!!

Old 04 April 2002, 03:36 PM
saxodriver
Scooby Newbie

so does having a loud stereo constitute being a boy racer?

I am quite seriously in to music, and am in the process of designing/installing a 145-150dB system for shows/competitions.

I never play it loud in residential areas at all, whatever time of day, becuase I don't want to upset people. But by just having this system, does that make me a boy racer?

Quick Reply: Whats a 'boy-racer'