Frightening experience!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2010, 01:04 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frightening experience!!!!

After accidentaly breaking the little plastic hose clip on my rad
i finally replaced my raditor yesterday and topped it up with water and coolant,yes i bled the system and didnt drive it until today,on my way back from gym i thought because i havent been in my scooby for 2 weeks i will drive up and down the dual carriage way
however, i switched on to high boost and seemed it had lost power

I then stopped at some traffic lights and it wasnt idling properly,switched back to low boost and it was abit better,so i managed to limp back home and noticed my temp started creeping up!!!
i opened my bonnnet and seen the bottom rad hose managed to somehow come off
tbh i **** my self and as it was to hot i couldnt put it back on so decided to leave it to cool down for a cuple of hours!
after 20min i was back out as the wait was killing me and i was thinking head gaskets
i actually came on scooby net and asked someone if they had complete engine haha..
now i put the hose on and topped water back up with coolant but heaters were freezing
i drove around my estate keeping an eye on my engine temp and after 200yards the heaters warmed up
so decided to take it for a longer drive where i put it on high boost and finally had a sigh of relief

lesson learnt: tighten hoses and triple check and check again lol
Old 06 August 2010, 01:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a lucky escape The outcome could have been much worse and from something so simple.
Old 06 August 2010, 01:41 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
That was a lucky escape The outcome could have been much worse and from something so simple.
i know bud,i cudnt believe it when i opened the bonnet and seen the rad hose completly off,really thought i needed new head gaskets and the car off road once again!!!
goes to show something as simple as not tightening could lead to a major problem
Old 06 August 2010, 01:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Keep checking the coolant level and also for contaminants like gasses and oil - hopefully the heads/gaskets are ok same for the oil, check it for water contamination.
Old 06 August 2010, 02:17 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Keep checking the coolant level and also for contaminants like gasses and oil - hopefully the heads/gaskets are ok same for the oil, check it for water contamination.
will do bud iv opened the oil top up cap and oil seems ok and smells normal,however like you said i will keep checking and fingers crossed i stopped before any damage/failure