ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Frightening experience!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/845338-frightening-experience.html)

zakscooby1 06 August 2010 01:04 PM

Frightening experience!!!!

After accidentaly breaking the little plastic hose clip on my rad :cuckoo:
i finally replaced my raditor yesterday and topped it up with water and coolant,yes i bled the system and didnt drive it until today,on my way back from gym i thought because i havent been in my scooby for 2 weeks i will drive up and down the dual carriage way :)
however, i switched on to high boost and seemed it had lost power :wonder:

I then stopped at some traffic lights and it wasnt idling properly,switched back to low boost and it was abit better,so i managed to limp back home and noticed my temp started creeping up!!!
i opened my bonnnet and seen the bottom rad hose managed to somehow come off :eek:
tbh i **** my self and as it was to hot i couldnt put it back on so decided to leave it to cool down for a cuple of hours!
after 20min i was back out as the wait was killing me and i was thinking head gaskets :(
i actually came on scooby net and asked someone if they had complete engine haha..
now i put the hose on and topped water back up with coolant but heaters were freezing :(
i drove around my estate keeping an eye on my engine temp and after 200yards the heaters warmed up :)
so decided to take it for a longer drive where i put it on high boost and finally had a sigh of relief :D:D:D

lesson learnt: tighten hoses and triple check and check again lol

Paulo P 06 August 2010 01:37 PM

That was a lucky escape :) The outcome could have been much worse and from something so simple.

zakscooby1 06 August 2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9534090)
That was a lucky escape :) The outcome could have been much worse and from something so simple.

i know bud,i cudnt believe it when i opened the bonnet and seen the rad hose completly off,really thought i needed new head gaskets and the car off road once again!!!
goes to show something as simple as not tightening could lead to a major problem

The Zohan 06 August 2010 01:51 PM

Keep checking the coolant level and also for contaminants like gasses and oil - hopefully the heads/gaskets are ok same for the oil, check it for water contamination.:)

zakscooby1 06 August 2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 9534119)
Keep checking the coolant level and also for contaminants like gasses and oil - hopefully the heads/gaskets are ok same for the oil, check it for water contamination.:)

will do bud iv opened the oil top up cap and oil seems ok and smells normal,however like you said i will keep checking and fingers crossed i stopped before any damage/failure