racing and speeding bad lad wants advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2010, 09:59 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing and speeding bad lad wants advice

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea of what kind of ban/penalty I might expect from a recent

misdemeanour. Bsaically I was driving along and was overtaken by what I think was a 225 megane and I accelerated

and followed him. We went over 2 roundabouts at some speed, at the 3rd he went straight over and I turned round.

Shortly after the blue lights came on and I was pulled told I was very bad and that it was all caught on camera, my

car will receive this asbo thing where if it's seen driving quickly it will be seized and to wait for court summons

and ban. I've asked and it seems it could be a few months before I get a date and details (is this rights) and I

was wondering if anyone knew what kind of punishment I might get. On the asbo form thing it said I was driving at

speed and racing another vehicle and the pc intimated he clocked me at around 95, it's in a gulp 50 (not at all

built up and not much other traffic - late at night) but most definitely a 50. I know it's stupid, normally I don't take the bait, but it was late, roads were empty and, well I'm sire I'm not the only one who would....

Really appreciate any opinions, I saw the ban guidelines, but think the fact I was tailing/racing another car makes it a

worse

Many thanks
Martin
Old 29 July 2010, 10:12 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you was arrested? given a ticket? wont it just be points and fine unless they do you for dangerous driving etc?

Last edited by topshot; 29 July 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:15 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Dont panic they will probably crush the car,take you out side then shoot you! for that speed I would ban you for 3yrs and take all your spending money away,and above all giving Scoobys a bad name.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:15 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

just pulled over, read the riot act and let go. no ticket as he said I was going so fast and a fixed penalty wouldn't cover it

Cheers
Old 29 July 2010, 10:16 PM
BristolLee
Scooby Newbie

The ASBO thing you speak of may well be a Section 59 Order. If it is then you've essentially got a big black mark on you and your motors file for the next 13 months.

A Section 59 means that you have been using your vehicle in an anti-social manner.

95 in a 50 however would surprise me if you only receive a Section 59, i'd bend over and have some lube ready. Doing 20+ over the limit is potentially a ban. How clean is your license before the incident?

You could try for some leniency if you can prove you NEED your license for work, that you are genuinely remorseful and prepared to go on any courses they suggest.

Good luck with it.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:17 PM
BristolLee
Scooby Newbie

The ASBO thing you speak of may well be a Section 59 Order. If it is then you've essentially got a big black mark on you and your motors file for the next 13 months.

A Section 59 means that you have been using your vehicle in an anti-social manner.

95 in a 50 however would surprise me if you only receive a Section 59, i'd bend over and have some lube ready. Doing 20+ over the limit is potentially a ban. How clean is your license before the incident?

You could try for some leniency if you can prove you NEED your license for work, that you are genuinely remorseful and prepared to go on any courses they suggest.

Good luck with it.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:26 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did you whatch the program on road racing tonight on itv1 if not you should have i no we have all done it and prob do it again but this program will make you think twice next time im not preaching an im not pointing at you but all of us me included

sorry if i have offended anyone but i was moved by this
Old 29 July 2010, 10:31 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

I have sympathy as you are a Scooby owner and no harm was done,BUT potentially could have been serious damage at that speed-Hence accept whatever may come.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:57 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

prob won't hear owt m8 they do the arrest thing at side of road which ya sign n basicly they say wait for a summons coming through post also you can ask to see the video footage via a solicitor b4 ya evben go to court,
good luck.
Old 29 July 2010, 11:13 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies guys.

Yeah it is dangerous I know, just a bit of rush of blood and, well here we are.

I shall take whatever comes with grace and be thankful something nasty didn't happen to someone and learn from it.

Yes it's a section 59 I got, I have 3 points for 78 on a motorway 4 years ago so not completely clean. Know there's nothing I can easily estimate until I see the figures etc, just trying to guage what scale of ban is possible, friends and internet searches range from 7 days to a year.
Old 30 July 2010, 08:49 AM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I would say a minimum of 6 month ban......just have to grin and bear it

"I was silly, learnt my lesson etc. etc. blah blah blah." and hope to only get 6 months....
Old 30 July 2010, 08:55 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/forum.php

Martin, log yourself into here mate, it is a forum run by policemen, they are very helpful, and can offer seriouis advice, good luck mate.
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 July 2010, 08:58 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

good luck is all that I can say, as I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people on the forum would of done the same.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:14 AM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my advise is to keep your head down lay low and hope nothing else happens like neil said as they didn't do nothing at the road side i don't think they realy had any evidence as they would have shown you and gave you a ticket the asbo was a warning for you to slow down
Old 30 July 2010, 09:46 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

They wouldn't need to do anything at the roadside providing they were happy you are who you say you are and aren't wanted for anything else etc. Once that has been established then the Policeman would just go off and write it up and summit the forms. There would be no need to arrest providing you weren't violent or abusive. It is the same for most traffic offences. The next thing you will hear about it will be the court summons turning up in the post. When that happens then get yourself down to the local CAB for some legal advise.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:51 AM
newman90
Scooby Regular

Police will try to bluff you saying they caught you on camera, just aslong as you didnt admit you was doing that speed you should be ok and just recive a section 59... normally that kind of offence you would be arrested at road side.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:13 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Just one question. Which was quickest out of you and the 225???

And good luck with your penalty.
Old 30 July 2010, 10:59 AM
BristolLee
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Just one question. Which was quickest out of you and the 225???
Jimmy makes a valid point....
Old 30 July 2010, 11:21 AM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

better not be the 225 after all that!

If they didnt show you what they filmed they probably have no camera footage at all.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:25 AM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newman90
Police will try to bluff you saying they caught you on camera, just aslong as you didnt admit you was doing that speed you should be ok and just recive a section 59... normally that kind of offence you would be arrested at road side.
Sounds about right - there may be a chance that you passed the police car without seeing it and he's estimated your speed. If he had you on video then I'm sure he'd have taken great delight in showing you the evidence.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:39 AM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

I did something more or less same i went round a roundabout wrong way racing years ago i got pulled over traffic police i there old cav v6s *** raped me for 30 mins grilling me they told me i would be going to court getting banned told me i were on video i even signed the sheet of paper with the charges on they could see id learnt my lesson from them..... that were in 2000 didn't hear a thing let hope its same with you buddy.
Old 30 July 2010, 11:58 AM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Hi that's a good point. He was ranting about how fast did you think you were going, said I don't know really and he went on and on about driving like and you have no ieda even how fast you were going, that and I could see my reg and the other car on the camera in front and was sure he knew anyway, said at least 80 - he said and the rest, more like 90-95. He didn't show me the evidence, but could see there was a camera in the car. He did tell me conversation was being recorded.

Would be fantastic if it is the same as you Neil, cheers all for the advice and support, it's really appreciated.

Last edited by martin_oleary; 30 July 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 30 July 2010, 03:54 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

your reg could of just been on the anpr m8 not actually recorded pal when anpr locks on to your reg it freezes your detail on screen until cops go on t another screen or exit out of it.
Old 30 July 2010, 05:14 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I would put my money on a summons to court, if found guilty 12 month ban and a fairly big fine, possibly a driver awareness program to get some time off the ban.
Old 30 July 2010, 06:29 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember doing a similar thing once with an Audi S3, absolutely nothing in it, guy still gives me the when I see him.

It's a bit of a sh!tter when you get caught though...
Old 30 July 2010, 06:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

From what I've seen you're allowed to be 0-10, 11-20, 21-30 over the limit & there are guidelines setting out points & fine. Over 30 & you're in a world of pain fella

I got done for 55 in a 30 (clear day, no traffic etc) & got 6pts & £800 fine

TX.

PS. Sounds like you've admitted to doing 80 in that post above First Rule of dealing with the police - admit nothing!

Originally Posted by martin_oleary
just pulled over, read the riot act and let go. no ticket as he said I was going so fast and a fixed penalty wouldn't cover it

Cheers

Last edited by Terminator X; 30 July 2010 at 07:25 PM.