Sponsored by:

Dodgy buyer or not?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2010, 04:34 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy buyer or not?

Car is currently for sale on here and PH, contact via e-mail.

I have received an e-mail from somebody called Benoit Allart (co-incidentally happens to be the name of some Belgian racing driver) asking me what my lowest price was.

I replied £3000, to which he replied that was fine and could he come to collect the car on Sunday. His e-mail address is a Belgian hotmail account in a business name (search turns up nothing) and the English in his brief mails is somewhat Nigerian scammer style (not the content but the grammar, punctuation and use of tenses etc.). He has also given me an +32 phone number which as yet I haven't called.

His last mail said he needs to know now so he can change his Euros to Pounds and book the Eurotunnel.

I can't help thinking,
a)why does he want a RHD car
b)it's a long way to come on the offchance (the car is sound but he doesn't know that)
c) why the urgency

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old 23 July 2010, 04:44 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit like a scam but if he follows through and comes and pays cash then that would be ok.
Reckon the story will change soon and he'll offer to pay by bank transfer/cheque etc and thats when to stay clear.
Old 23 July 2010, 04:48 PM
chavadurkin
Scooby Regular

It does sound a little dodgy, but if he is turning up and paying CASH (!) then I don't see the problem.

When he turns up, show him round the car etc and if he wants it, take him to your bank and pay the cash in. The bank can check it to make sure it's the real deal then send him on his way.

Dont leave the guy alone to do his test drive, and if he does buy it, get a copy of his passport etc.

Don't accept anything but hard cash!!

Chris.
Old 23 July 2010, 04:48 PM
chavadurkin
Scooby Regular

It does sound a little dodgy, but if he is turning up and paying CASH (!) then I don't see the problem.

When he turns up, show him round the car etc and if he wants it, take him to your bank and pay the cash in. The bank can check it to make sure it's the real deal then send him on his way.

Dont leave the guy alone to do his test drive, and if he does buy it, get a copy of his passport etc.

Don't accept anything but hard cash!!

Chris.
Old 23 July 2010, 04:53 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

The pick it up on Sunday plan would prevent any bank visit though
Old 23 July 2010, 05:12 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

SCAM !!
Run as fast as your legs will carry you.......
Old 23 July 2010, 11:05 PM
verdasco1
Scooby Regular

nothing to loose so long as he brings the readies and you dont let him have a test drive...oh and make sure the wonga is leggit, ie take him to the bank! Not being negative but i'd be surprised if he turns up!

Trending Topics

Old 25 July 2010, 11:28 AM
gino
Scooby Regular

He won't turn-up. But I've just come back to the UK from Sicily, where I live to buy a RHD 2003 WRX, from Wrights Motors. A RHD Subaru is going to cost half of what a LHD will cost and it depends what you're using it for. Also if you keep it on UK plates and have a UK passport, (I have UK and Italian), you can keep it on UK plates not pay road tax or bollo auto as it's called here in Italy and fill out the V5 export section. So there are motives. I was asked to send £200 deposit via paypal so the sellers were at least happy and CASH on pick-up. He won't turn up but don't be surprised by someone in LHD land wanting to buy a RHD.
Hope you get the cash anyway.