Sponsored by:

EBC Brakes - Greenstuff first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2010, 03:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EBC Brakes - Greenstuff first impressions

EBC where kind enough to include me in their Greenstuff 2000 series trial, perhaps it was down to me being local and the postage being cheaper but never the less they duly arrived. Thank you EBC.

My experiences of Greenstuff go back to the year of our lord 2000 and having them fitted to my year-old MY99 Uk Turbo and i have to say they where dreadful, wooden and no feel or initial bite at all hot or cold they where appauling. I hated them!

OK back to 2010.
I run a my99 Honda Accord 2.0l auto. Not the fastest car in the world but 160BHP and around 1500kgs (or 1600KGs with me in it) and zero engine braking to speak of being an auto!

I have put 20k on the Honda in a year and the std brakes have always worked well and are no better or worse than when we got the car.

Ok, EBC pads fitted this morning and 90 or so miles on them.
Fitting was easy, they where a direct replacement, no filing or removing of paint just cleaned up the spring clips, pushed the pistons back and they dropped straight in. BTW The pads i took out had a Honda logo and part numbers so i guess where genuine Honda items. The previous owner had the car from new and was **** about servicing and genuine parts which is the main reason i bought it as it had been well looked after.

First impressions of the EBC pads are very, very good, i haven't gone flying around but a mix of town and dual carriageway driving. The 'feel' is very good and the bite is immense and i do mean immense. as i stated earlier it is an auto and needless to say lacks any engine braking. The brakes are as sharp as a razor when pressed hard and you can feel them engaging on the surface of the disk when you press gently to gradually slow you down, varying the pedal pressure, increasing the braking and then stabbing the brake pedal - causing you to hang momentarily by your seatbelt. Lot's of feel!

First impressions are that they are the best pads i have had in any car.

Very impressed!

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 July 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 03:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mods/Webmaster - after the mauling EBC got over the "EBC pads caused my car to crash" thread can we leave this in General for others on the test to submit their thoughts?

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 July 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 06:53 PM
Andy Freeman
Premium Sponsor

Thanks Paul for this first impressions review.

I want readers to note that as of now July 2010 this is a totally NEW version of our 2000 Greenstuff that will start to become available this month only

So AF44/69 the current Green 2000 series pads for spirited street use up to 200BHP cars (lighter cars) will become AF44/35as from now.

Thats the new code AF44/35

Thanks
Old 16 July 2010, 06:55 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Mods/Webmaster - after the mauling EBC got over the "EBC pads caused my car to crash" thread can we leave this in General for others on the test to submit their thoughts?
Gayerget back to the illegals
Old 16 July 2010, 08:49 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

20k after that you could of just put a set of standard pads in and it would of felt better. standard pads on my wrx last about 3 months on the road then there down to the metal so i cant see green stuff being any good, thats why i bought red stuff pads in the first place and they lasted about as long as the standard pads but with less braking.
and as for the guy saying its down to our calipers dragging and bad seals, could it be that the pads are just **** and not upto what they say they are
adam
Old 16 July 2010, 08:54 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

EBC where kind enough to include me in their Greenstuff 2000 series trial, perhaps it was down to me being local and the postage being cheaper but never the less they duly arrived. Thank you EBC.

My experiences of Greenstuff go back to the year of our lord 2000 and having them fitted to my year-old MY99 Uk Turbo and i have to say they where dreadful, wooden and no feel or initial bite at all hot or cold they where appauling. I hated them!

OK back to 2010.
I run a my99 Honda Accord 2.0l auto. Not the fastest car in the world but 160BHP and around 1500kgs (or 1600KGs with me in it) and zero engine braking to speak of being an auto!

I have put 20k on the Honda in a year and the std brakes have always worked well and are no better or worse than when we got the car.

Ok, EBC pads fitted this morning and 90 or so miles on them.
Fitting was easy, they where a direct replacement, no filing or removing of paint just cleaned up the spring clips, pushed the pistons back and they dropped straight in. BTW The pads i took out had a Honda logo and part numbers so i guess where genuine Honda items. The previous owner had the car from new and was **** about servicing and genuine parts which is the main reason i bought it as it had been well looked after.

First impressions of the EBC pads are very, very good, i haven't gone flying around but a mix of town and dual carriageway driving. The 'feel' is very good and the bite is immense and i do mean immense. as i stated earlier it is an auto and needless to say lacks any engine braking. The brakes are as sharp as a razor when pressed hard and you can feel them engaging on the surface of the disk when you press gently to gradually slow you down, varying the pedal pressure, increasing the braking and then stabbing the brake pedal - causing you to hang momentarily by your seatbelt. Lot's of feel!

First impressions are that they are the best pads i have had in any car.

Very impressed!
Old 16 July 2010, 09:06 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I used to use EBC reds, people said they felt wooden. Yes when cold they were not the best but once warmed up I could not fault them. This was either going up and down the Troudos mountains in Cyprus or flying down the road around Loch Ness. So varied conditions.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:26 PM
Andy Freeman
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by oadamo
20k after that you could of just put a set of standard pads in and it would of felt better. standard pads on my wrx last about 3 months on the road then there down to the metal so i cant see green stuff being any good, thats why i bought red stuff pads in the first place and they lasted about as long as the standard pads but with less braking.
and as for the guy saying its down to our calipers dragging and bad seals, could it be that the pads are just **** and not upto what they say they are
adam
The facts dont lie.

Caliper drag is real, as opposed to you as a consumer just guessing and making a rash comment, we have a million pounds worth of test rigs and dynos that show this fact.

Why did you even make that comment with zero knowldge.

Are forums for facts and passing out info or just slagging off people without any back up

Thanks Andy
Old 16 July 2010, 09:32 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Freeman
The facts dont lie.

Caliper drag is real, as opposed to you as a consumer just guessing and making a rash comment, we have a million pounds worth of test rigs and dynos that show this fact.

Why did you even make that comment with zero knowldge.

Are forums for facts and passing out info or just slagging off people without any back up

Thanks Andy
well all the pads ive put on my car these where the worst fact.
adam
Old 16 July 2010, 09:36 PM
Andy Freeman
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by oadamo
well all the pads ive put on my car these where the worst fact.
adam
Lets be sure what you are saying here

1) This thread is for evaluations of a NEW greenstuff grade that only ONE person has so far been supplied

2) Its nothing to do with any other brakes, ours or anyones.

Why then do you pop in with a general slagging comment about something that this thread is not targeting.

Please be realistic, if you are a driver of a car that is a candidate for Greenstuff, let me know if you want to be included in a serial test of the new product with a PM

Thanks
Old 16 July 2010, 09:37 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Not wishing to step on anyone's toes but shouldn't this thread be in the Traders Announcements section of the Market Place forum, which requires EBC to register and pay an advertisers fee?
Old 16 July 2010, 10:02 PM
Andy Freeman
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Not wishing to step on anyone's toes but shouldn't this thread be in the Traders Announcements section of the Market Place forum, which requires EBC to register and pay an advertisers fee?
We have done that Cannon all paid up and legal, I am simply trying to solve issues drivers have had with our products with encourage tests on newer products.

Thanks
Old 16 July 2010, 10:12 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

We have done that Cannon all paid up and legal, I am simply trying to solve issues drivers have had with our products with encourage tests on newer products.

Thanks
Right then, can you send me some to test? MY06 Sti SpecD

BTW i have used redstuff ceramics, mintex 1144's 1155's on my scoobys and Black Diamond preditors on my rally car (nova, dont laugh)

steve

Last edited by Steve001; 16 July 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:16 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
+1
Old 16 July 2010, 10:24 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Why are we discussing these pads ? They are no good for a Subaru if they are only rated to 200bhp

should be in the other marques section.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:26 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Ok then I currently have Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted in AP Racing 6 pot calipers, do you want to trial your pads in my car?

Sorry scrub the above just remembered about the 200bhp figure.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 16 July 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:26 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
Why are we discussing these pads ? They are no good for a Subaru if they are only rated to 200bhp

he can send me some for my nova then we will see how they cope down the lanes of north wales
Old 16 July 2010, 10:34 PM
Andy Freeman
Premium Sponsor

Guys, for these test set requests

please PM me with name address and year make and exact model, for Subaru we would send new Bluestuff and the reviews on this will be in another sction of the site.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:47 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
he can send me some for my nova then we will see how they cope down the lanes of north wales
I'm just sore lol

the other thread I crashed my car due to bluestuff pads, well it's me car that was rammed up the back so brakes are a sore subject.

Wait and see what these new ones are like (ones
for Subaru that is)
Old 16 July 2010, 10:53 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

hey, dont knock the ol nova mate 100+bhp in something that weighs less than an egg carton
Old 16 July 2010, 10:56 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

I'm just sore lol

the other thread I crashed my car due to bluestuff pads, well it's me car that was rammed up the back so brakes are a sore subject.

Wait and see what these new ones are like (ones
for Subaru that is)
got mine phil ill let you know what there like you know whats ricks like
Old 16 July 2010, 10:57 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
hey, dont knock the ol nova mate 100+bhp in something that weighs less than an egg carton
+1 had 1 with 1600 gte with rally cam,big valves and twin fourties what ablast
Old 16 July 2010, 11:00 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
+1 had 1 with 1600 gte with rally cam,big valves and twin fourties what ablast
and it dont matter if you stuff it in a ditch, coz you just buy a new shell for £50 i can have just as much fun in it as the scooby, a different type of fun (if you know what i mean) with the billys it changes direction like a house fly
Old 17 July 2010, 04:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I understand from the other thead that the new versions of the other pad types are avaliable as well, and SN isn't just about the scoob turbo do not forget the non-turbo models and the Forresters and Legacy who's owners frequent this board...

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 July 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 20 July 2010, 06:31 AM
Alan28
Scooby Newbie

I know this thread is about the greenstuff pads, but I thought I would chime-in with my experience with their new yellowstuff pads. I'm currently campaigning a 2009 WRX here in the U.S. with the Sports Car Club of America competing in Solo/autocross races. The car is 3102lbs and 265 HP.

Prior to changing the pads, I would say that poor brake performance was the weak link in the car. I've had the pads on my car for 4 months. They were simple to install (dropped right in). They have improved the braking performance of my car dramatically! I can drive deeper into corners and brake with confidence lap after lap. In Northern California, they helped me win six out of the last six races. At the National Tour event in San Diego, they helped me climb onto the podium in third place amongst a field of top national drivers. They certainly make more dust than my factory pads and squeak slightly when slowing at a traffic light, but all in all they are a tremendous improvement.

Here are pictures of my car at the Western States Championship in Wendover, Utah.

Alan Jung
SCCA Regional Autocross Champion 2006, 2008, 2009
Porsche Club of America-Autocross Driving Instructor

Last edited by Alan28; 23 July 2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: corrected picture link
Old 20 July 2010, 07:49 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

I understand from the other thead that the new versions of the other pad types are avaliable as well, and SN isn't just about the scoob turbo do not forget the non-turbo models and the Forresters and Legacy who's owners frequent this board...

i understand that just fed up of seeing brake pads all the time in the general section, would have thought it would be better suited to the correct section
Old 20 July 2010, 08:31 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

i understand that just fed up of seeing brake pads all the time in the general section, would have thought it would be better suited to the correct section

I do hope you are going to post on all the threads you deem not suitable for the scooby general section.

All sorts of posts get left in General for all sorts of reasons, if you do not like it then you do not have to read it do you I stated this thread to add a little balance to the "EBC pads cause my car to crash thread", believe me when i say that if the new pads where cr@p then i would have said so. nice to see a company listening to feedback and acting on it!

Last edited by The Zohan; 20 July 2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 20 July 2010, 08:35 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks Paul for this first impressions review.

I want readers to note that as of now July 2010 this is a totally NEW version of our 2000 Greenstuff that will start to become available this month only

So AF44/69 the current Green 2000 series pads for spirited street use up to 200BHP cars (lighter cars) will become AF44/35as from now.

Thats the new code AF44/35

Thanks
might be a silly question, but can you please clarify what 'lighter cars' is, i wouldn't call 1500kg (ops car weight) that light, although is under 200bhp
Old 20 July 2010, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tidgy
might be a silly question, but can you please clarify what 'lighter cars' is, i wouldn't call 1500kg (ops car weight) that light, although is under 200bhp
ooops, kerb weight is 1310kgs for my sh*tbox!
Old 20 July 2010, 09:47 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Must say i have had ebc pads & discs on my previous scoob (93 wrx 317/302) & to be honest they did not last a month. The discs just could not stand upto the braking & the pads, sorry just useless, not much bite or assurance in them.

I bought Tarox G88 discs & ferodo ds2500 pads & wow what an amazing difference, never ever had an issue in any condition or how hard they were pushed.

I would only buy ebc pads (will never buy the discs again) if a car was completely standard & less than 150bhp. So i did, i had them on a 125bhp golf (yellow stuff) & they worked pretty well, but so would standard pads at that power

Quick Reply: EBC Brakes - Greenstuff first impressions