Sponsored by:

Oil temps at the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 09:30 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temps at the weekend

Drove up to Silverstone on Friday afternoon, three up in the car and a boot full of camping gear, beers and food. Get on to the M40 and there's a few miles of hills to get up.

6th gear taking about 0.4 bar boost to get up the hill at about 80 and the oil temp goes to 109C , so I kept a close eye on it and tried to keep boost low as possible. It was 35C on the dash outside temp though. Wouldn't fancy running the usual 1.5BAR in those weekend temps without an oil cooler.

Anders
Old 13 July 2010, 09:36 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Drove up to Silverstone on Friday afternoon, three up in the car and a boot full of camping gear, beers and food. Get on to the M40 and there's a few miles of hills to get up.

6th gear taking about 0.4 bar boost to get up the hill at about 80 and the oil temp goes to 109C , so I kept a close eye on it and tried to keep boost low as possible. It was 35C on the dash outside temp though. Wouldn't fancy running the usual 1.5BAR in those weekend temps without an oil cooler.

Anders
no supprsie in thoses conditions with the added weight you were carrying,bet the **** end was down fella want it lol
Old 14 July 2010, 12:48 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

6th gear taking about 0.4 bar boost to get up the hill at about 80 and the oil temp goes to 109C ,
That's nothing to really worry about in this weather. Another 20 degrees and it's time to back off. However, I suspect the clue to this problem is both the amount of weight it sounds like was in the car, plus the 80 in 6th thing.

so I kept a close eye on it and tried to keep boost low as possible. It was 35C on the dash outside temp though. Wouldn't fancy running the usual 1.5BAR in those weekend temps without an oil cooler.
If you're cruising along lazily and get a bit concerned about temps, just change down a gear and let the engine spin over faster on a light throttle, see what happens. Don't forget, the faster the engine rotates, the faster the oil and water pumps rotate, the greater the turnover rates through the rad and oil coolers and consequently the cooler your fluids will run.

As above though, 110 is nothing to worry about, especially when it sounds like a rare case caused by a specific set of circumstances, including heavy load and high outside air temperature. And in any case you may well find that if you were just pootling along at low revs when it happened, chances are your oil will run cooler when you're shoeing it at high engine speeds anyway, even with the increased load.
Old 14 July 2010, 02:07 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Has anyone tried a high volume oil sump ?
Would the extra litre of oil help the temp much ?
Old 14 July 2010, 02:46 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

yes having an extra litre would help the temp,all though the only real good way of cooling the oil is an external cooler mounted in a good area.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:09 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
That's nothing to really worry about in this weather. Another 20 degrees and it's time to back off. However, I suspect the clue to this problem is both the amount of weight it sounds like was in the car, plus the 80 in 6th thing.

If you're cruising along lazily and get a bit concerned about temps, just change down a gear and let the engine spin over faster on a light throttle, see what happens. Don't forget, the faster the engine rotates, the faster the oil and water pumps rotate, the greater the turnover rates through the rad and oil coolers and consequently the cooler your fluids will run.

As above though, 110 is nothing to worry about, especially when it sounds like a rare case caused by a specific set of circumstances, including heavy load and high outside air temperature. And in any case you may well find that if you were just pootling along at low revs when it happened, chances are your oil will run cooler when you're shoeing it at high engine speeds anyway, even with the increased load.
I wasn't too concerned given the circumstances, but I was surprised the temp went up so quickly - it usually takes a spirited drive down country lanes to reach those temps. Too many beers in the boot, lol.

From what I've read on here engine re-builders like API don't recommend much more than 110-115C before backing off, as the oil temp in the bearings will be a fair bit warmer than the oil temp gauge reading.

Anders
Old 14 July 2010, 08:11 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
yes having an extra litre would help the temp,all though the only real good way of cooling the oil is an external cooler mounted in a good area.
I installed a Zerosports thermostat and took the undertray off and that helps too.

Anders
Old 14 July 2010, 08:18 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

I installed a Zerosports thermostat and took the undertray off and that helps too.

Anders
ive got the undertray aswell,suprising the difference it made but it does get the engine messier in the wet
Old 14 July 2010, 11:07 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I once saw 125 degrees during a cooling down lap on a very hot trackday....

Fitted a cooler the next weekend !

dunx