Sponsored by:

Caliper Painting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2010, 10:02 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Painting Problems

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. As it was a nice hot sunny day, and I was stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring in case I was called into work, I thought I'd at least have a go at re painting my calipers. I read up the how to in the tips archive, very good btw. However when I came to actually applying the paint it wouldnt stick to the caliper, and just collected a bit like paint on wax and collected in drops. The paint I was using was Hammerite straight to metal smooth spray in red. I did do a test spray onto some card first and it didnt seem too clever then tbh, I have had it a few months I'm wondering if it could have split in the can or something. Up shot of it is that I now have one caliper all sanded and prepped to paint the next time we have a sunny afternoon and was wondering what other people have used in the past, as I've lost confidence in the hammerite.

Thanks for any assistance
Old 27 June 2010, 10:05 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Never done it myself but I know that you can get specific preparations for it
http://www.rockshore.uk.com/brake-ca...r-red-79-p.asp
Have a bash at a specific caliper paint and see if that takes better.
Old 27 June 2010, 10:10 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H2o-uk
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. As it was a nice hot sunny day, and I was stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring in case I was called into work, I thought I'd at least have a go at re painting my calipers. I read up the how to in the tips archive, very good btw. However when I came to actually applying the paint it wouldnt stick to the caliper, and just collected a bit like paint on wax and collected in drops. The paint I was using was Hammerite straight to metal smooth spray in red. I did do a test spray onto some card first and it didnt seem too clever then tbh, I have had it a few months I'm wondering if it could have split in the can or something. Up shot of it is that I now have one caliper all sanded and prepped to paint the next time we have a sunny afternoon and was wondering what other people have used in the past, as I've lost confidence in the hammerite.

i used solvent based gold and lacquer out of arattle can and hasnt moved any and stayed shiny fella so in my opinun no need for anything fancy or 'heat resistant'.
Old 27 June 2010, 10:12 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

I USED the high temp engine paint with a laquer in it, It was red i used and paint it on and looks brilliant with no brush marks, Just looks a good spray job,
Old 27 June 2010, 11:05 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H2o-uk

if you search for frayz and 'how to paint your capliers' hes done a great step by step guide....with pics..
Old 27 June 2010, 11:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

get them chemically dipped and then powder coated (new seal kit as well), easiest way and will probably look better than the paint option
Old 28 June 2010, 09:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like either the Hammerite was off, (although I've not heard of it doing that before, just spraying badly if it's old), or the caliper wasn't clean enough: dust or grease will lead to beading.

I've painted no end of calipers, and ALWAYS use Hammerite Smooth brushing enamel. Two coats is usually enough, but three is ace. I've used red, black, blue, and white.

It gives a good finish even brushed, and is easy to apply.
You DO need to buy some Hammerite thinners though, as nowt else will get the brush clean between coats. Mine were done with half an hour between coats on a warm, dry day, wheels can be carefully refitted straight after the second coat.
Old 28 June 2010, 10:28 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ing-guide.html

Et voila!