Sponsored by:

Police Driving Skills

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2001, 12:04 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

When this sort of thing has happened to me in the past, I have reported the incident to the police... They should be able to track the offending driver down by the time and place of the incident, as they hold logs of who is driving what and why... they should know who he was and where he was going. I found the police to be quite efficient when I reported the incident... they tracked down the driver and gave me an explanation of why he was in such a hurry without the sirens/blues on... he was (I was told) given an informal reprimand by his superior officer for overtaking on a blind bend and causing another vehicle (me) to have to take avoiding action. My details were not passed to the driver.

Moray
Old 08 March 2001, 12:09 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JayDee:
<B>Maybe its just the Devil's advoccate in me but -

It seems to happen to me a lot that I come up behind a queue of traffic like that and in spite of overtaking opportunities, it is clear that no-on in the queue is going to overtake anything (Sometimes not even the TRACTOR at the front of the queue)

You realise its going to be like this for the next 20 miles and after a hard day at work and 100 miles to go you would like to get home please.

I know what I do, although I am careful not to cause a cascade of braking behind me as I pull in to the middle of the queue.

JD[/quote]

Location: less than a mile from the 30mph zone of Wimborne, and only a mile into that before the Police Station, where said police car pulled in - still in the same position in the queue.
So, a completely pointless manouevre anyway!
Old 08 March 2001, 12:27 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Has also happened to me a number of times, I leave a large gap when as you know this is going to happen. Have also seen them use the blue light to get past (very naughty). I also agree with JD as I am sure most of us have been in this situation before. I also agree with AWD that they should set a good example. I am also sure that if they did cause an accident this would be taken very seriously indeed.
Old 08 March 2001, 12:46 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

PaulL

You should report him.
Old 08 March 2001, 10:28 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's things like this that make me sooo mad.
You really think they'd know better.

Driving home from work yesterday, I was stuck at the end of a long queue doing about 50-60 (daylight, 60 speed limit) around some country lanes between Blandford and Wimborne. In the distance behind me I notice some headlights. Within a matter of seconds they're right behind me, a few feet off my boot. What was it? A police Mondeo! No siren, no blue-flashing lights... just a policeman in a hurry.

So, he stays behind me for a while until eventually impatience gets the better of him (on a short straight) and he shoots past me and 4 cars in front and squeezes into a gap in the queue just in time to avoid a car coming in the opposite direction on a blind bend.

The driver he squeezed in front of in the queue had to hit his brakes hard and he ended up with 2 wheels on the grass verge to avoid clouting the police car, causing everyone behind (including me) to brake hard too.

It could so easily have been a major accident.

Aaaaaagghhhh!! What can you do?

No doubt this is the same sort of ar**hole who'd happily pull me over for doing 80 on an empty motorway.

Old 08 March 2001, 10:34 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you were feeling brave you could have taken his number plate and reported him to the police. They might like to think they are above the law but they are not.

I Remember seeing a program on motorway police a while ago and they saw a car tailgating on the motorway at 90 MPH. They then Did a PNC check on the car and it turned out it was one of their own unmarked cars. They pulled the car over and it turned out to be one of the police driving instructors!
Old 08 March 2001, 10:46 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

A pity you didn't take the reg down and report him.

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2001, 10:51 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Thought about it.

Couldn't see the reg when he was behind - he was too close.
Didn't think to look at it when he was in front. I was too busy performing an emergency stop!

Besides, knowing my luck, he'd be someone who holds a grudge and would probably do me in the future for going a couple of mph of the speed limit.

Hopefully the guy who was run off the road will follow it up.

Paul
Old 08 March 2001, 11:09 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Maybe its just the Devil's advoccate in me but -

It seems to happen to me a lot that I come up behind a queue of traffic like that and in spite of overtaking opportunities, it is clear that no-on in the queue is going to overtake anything (Sometimes not even the TRACTOR at the front of the queue)

You realise its going to be like this for the next 20 miles and after a hard day at work and 100 miles to go you would like to get home please.

I know what I do, although I am careful not to cause a cascade of braking behind me as I pull in to the middle of the queue.

JD
Old 08 March 2001, 11:24 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I know that police are only human, but as long as they are in a police vehicle IMO they are representing the police and should behave in a responsible manner. Not really a good example to run someone partly onto the grass.
Old 08 March 2001, 02:31 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PaulL:
<B> Location: less than a mile from the 30mph zone of Wimborne, and only a mile into that before the Police Station, where said police car pulled in - still in the same position in the queue.
So, a completely pointless manouevre anyway![/quote]

If you saw where he went (into the Police station) and at what time then it shouldn't matter that you didn't get the reg, they'll be able to check. I would make a formal complaint and would also be tempted to make an "allegation of driving without due care and attention" if the reason proffered for his behavior was not a good one (e.g. he was late for his tea break).

I assume that this was not a traffic car as these guys (Police Class 1 drivers) are of an extremely high standard and usually drive extremely well. The average plod on the street though just has a license like anybody else and is usually a **** poor driver. It sounds to me like you encountered the latter, not the former.

Matt.
Old 08 March 2001, 06:25 PM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

AWD,
Nope, I`m sorry, But I`m affraid you are wrong???????
I`ve never met a person who worked for the local constabulary and managed to prove that they were Human.....Nope I know that they are ALIENS, My reason for this assumption!??,
Well when I was pulled up by a local plod for going a wee bit too fast down a road (60)....
It was a big road(That`s my excuse) He said "WHO DO YOU THIINK YOU ARE, DAVID MANSELL"...
It was at that point I decided "Yep He`s deffinately from another Planet&gt;
Regards Biff.
Old 08 March 2001, 06:49 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to travel to work on the motorway and certainly seen the police get up to some dirty tricks to catch people. The worst was what I would deem as "hunting in pairs" one car would pelt up behind an unsuspecting bloke in the fast lane... egg him on a bit... then blast off into the distance... then of course the other one a few hundred yards behind would wait for the driver to speed up and then nab him.. I have also witnessed blue lighting to the services and stopping for a cuppa, blue lighting it through a traffic cue and then when they are near the front turning the lights off and just joining the que and carrying on, and also have nearly been run off the road by an omega estate overtaking me on a blind bend into a 30 mph area!

Overall I must admit they do seem to want to be above the law rather than in it!
Old 08 March 2001, 06:52 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooops double post

[This message has been edited by Fizz (edited 08 March 2001).]
Old 08 March 2001, 09:04 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

Wimborne. In the distance behind me I notice some headlights. Within a matter of seconds they're right behind me, a few feet off my boot. What was it? A police Mondeo! No siren, no blue-flashing lights... just a policeman in a hurry.

what makes you think it was a police car and not someone in his own car going to work, maybe late.
Plod take any complaint about their driving seriously due to a heap of bad publisity recently
Old 08 March 2001, 11:39 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I was completely unaware the police had any driving skills at all!

I was nearly wiped out by three T5's, TWICE! I was stuck in traffic, minding my own business when the first one went past doing sixty at the very least and then two of his mates came hurtling past aswell. I thought they must of been going to a job but when I got a bit further down the road they came back the other way at horrendous speeds through rush hour traffic.
Bob