Sponsored by:

Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 09:53 AM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Controller

Hi, am looking to fit some sort of boost adjuster/controller - not to try and gain power but to get a smooth boost curve and constant pressure. As there are loads of kits on the market can anyone recommend a relatively cheap kit that actually works? Thanks in advance Mark
Old 23 June 2010, 10:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Year/model of car.
Virtually all scoobs with the exception of my97/98 year cars can have some form of remap, which is a damn sight safer than putting an MBC/EBC on there.

Tony
Old 23 June 2010, 11:28 AM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, its a `52 Bugeye WRX, completely standard exxcept from K&N panel filter, cheers Mark.
Old 23 June 2010, 12:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Your best off with an ecutek remap, will be far better for your car than a boost controller as this will set up all the fuel/air ratio etc.

Tony
Old 23 June 2010, 12:10 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

A mapper worth his salt would not have put a boost controller (manual type) when the ecu can be boost mapped. Sounds very fishy.
Get a mapper to look at it properly buddy, as it might be damaging the car.
I have a 52 plate bug aswell and it doesn't boost jump about like what you've described.
Speak to Simon aka Jolly Green Monster www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
Or someone a bit more local to you about it.
Hope this helps mate.

Last edited by rookymatt; 23 June 2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more info and spelling
Old 23 June 2010, 02:44 PM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Just another thing to note, when i have just plugged together the 2 green connectors, fans come on etc but no boost solenoid clicking, i even held it but nothing, could this be my problem? Cheers Mark
Old 23 June 2010, 02:48 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

The boost solenoids on the bugs are very quiet buddy.
Best bet would be to take the pipes off of the boost solenoid (note where each pipe goes) and then spray brake cleaner down one port (with the two green connectors under the dash plugged together) and see if you can get flow through to the other port as it's powered on/off.
Old 24 June 2010, 09:35 PM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Driving around today and i noticed boost is a lot smoother and seems to peak at around 1 bar which is quite normal, difference is every now and again, when i have been on heavy boost (3rd or 4th gear mainly) then let off then back on again, it seems to boost to 1.2 bar then back off to around 1 bar again. Is this known as boost spike. I have removed restictor pill and made its hole slightly bigger in order to try and get a smoother boost pattern, will give it a drive in the morning now so dont know the outcome yet. I know this is frowned upon but i was going to try and put back the manual 3 port controller which had been fitted by the previous owner just to see if i can tune this prob out, only problem is i dont know which hoses connect where now, any ideas or diagrams to give it a try? thanks Mark
Old 25 June 2010, 12:09 PM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Another update, last night i removed the restrictor pill from the turbo to wastegate line, and drilled the hole slightly larger (not by much though) Driving today, evenly boosts when cold, and when warm on heavy throttle she boosts to around 1 bar, just above when in 3rd to 4th gear on full throttle. Seems to be marginally slower on uptake but midrange and on full boost everything is good and pulls like a train with no hesitance with a complete boost hold around 1 bar now. Hopefully, this is now sorted and my car is back to Stock setup! Fingers crossed...
Old 25 June 2010, 12:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

If the previous owner had fitted a 3-port BCS then it would have needed a re-map to work................and then it would have needed a re-map again if the OEM 2-port had been refitted.

I'd personally think about re-mapping..... Bread and butter stuff for Open source.

http://www.racedynamix.com/new/

All IMHO

Shaun
Old 27 June 2010, 09:27 AM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Hi, all is now sorted, the aftermarket boost thingy was a cheap bleed valve and not a 3 port solenoid as thought. All pipework is now standard again, only problem was bouncing boost was due to restrictor pill being too small diameter. Drilled out ever so slightly and now boosts fine in all gears, peaking at around 1 bar and holding solidly. Happy days......