Another whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2010, 11:27 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another whats it worth?

Guys,

last post from me on this. but more input would be wicked.

What would my car be worth if it was stock? Here is the advert for it being stock:

looking at piston heads around 4/4250 would be a suitable asking price. Obviously ill target mine at the top of the range as its a quality car. Do you think this will be about right? Will it sell at 4k or should i expect less?

Thanks

----------------------------------------

Much loved Classic Subaru Impreza WRX STI, V5 Crystal, Oz, FSH

I’m selling my Subaru after 1 year 6 months of extremely pleasurable ownership to upgrade to an M3. Car is very well looked after, in excellent condition and will be sadly missed. Please see details of the car below.

Basic Details.
1998 V4 STI JDM (with V5 front end; still have the original v4 front if wanted)
75,300 miles.
Imported new in 1998. I am 2nd owner.
Full Service History (see pic)
Excellent condition
MOT till Nov
6 months Tax

Engine
Green Racing panel filter
NGK PFR7B spark plugs
Walbro 255l/hr Racing Fuel Pump
API Modified Oil Pump & Cambelt [aug 2009 @70k]
Samco Coolant Hoses
Prosport Stepper Gauges (oil temp, pressure & boost & all senders)
Silkolone Pro S 10w-50 used for services
Genuine Subaru oil filter from Roger Clark Motorsport used for services

Suspension & Steering
Whiteline "Sport" ALK
Uprated steering rack bushes
Replacement steering rack (from prodrive), track rods & ends.

Wheels & brakes
Performance grooved Disks all round
DS2500 Pads all round
17" Oz Superleggera's
Parada Spec 2 tyres

External
Ver 5 front bumper
Full crystal pack inc:
Crystal headlights
Crystal sidelights
Crystal front indicators
Crystal side indicators.
Always washed & polished using Megs' finest, lambs wool & two bucket.

Spec
Car is JDM so comes fully specced compared to UK models with Auto Air conditioning, electric folding and adjustable wing mirrors, electric windows all round, PAS, ABS, Remote central locking & immobiliser with remote alarm activation, and active Tracker etc.

Description & History
I bought the car from its original owner 1.6 years ago as an un-abused standard example of a V4 STI. From this point ive maintained its rigorous upkeep and a chosen a select few enhancements to transform this cars appearance and ensure continued reliability.

Several steps were taken to ensure the integrity of the Engine; API modified oil pump (inc crank seal), new cambelt and regularly serviced using the very best oil Opie Oils could provide. Combined with essential upgrades often missed such as colder plugs, uprated filter & walbro fuel pump has kept this engine in tip top condition with a compliment of gauges to keep an eye on things. Castrol RBF600 Brake fluid changed regularly.

The car overall is in excellent condition. Ive only had a couple of problems in my last year and a half of ownership, each are well known subaru flaws so no need to worry about them.
1. Steering Rack. Ive replaced the steering rack with one from prodrive (as new - few miles), including new track rods and ends.
2. Top radiator hose. This developed a pinhole, and so ive replaced all coolant hoses with genuine Samco pipes from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Comb.
3. Driver side rocker cover gasket [Feb 2010]

The Bad Points.
I am a perfectionist with my cars. I do hope im not over exaggerating the following, but want to provide an honest advert/overview.

The car shows the signs of its age on its bodywork. There is nothing major; however a few 10p dings, a scratch on the driver wing, a rear bumper scrape (repainted), and a few stone chips would all require attention to make this classic as cosmetically mint as it is mechanically.

The quality of this car will be evident upon viewing, so please don’t be put off.

Sumamry
This is a perfect buy for someone after an unabused classic, from a genuine enthusiast.

The car looks and drives amazing. I was the first person to see this car when I bought it, was a no brainer. I'm certain the first to see my car now will buy it also.

The car will also come with private number plate ‘S500B CA’

I’m ideally looking for a new Enthusiast to enjoy this car. Im eager to get myself into an M3 so the price is ONO. However I will hold on for a fair price so please no silly offers.

As this is a genuine performance car:

******Please no test pilots, time wasters, canvassers or tyre kickers****

No test drives unless you can prove fully comp cover for the car (not just 3rd party). Otherwise I will drive on the test drive.

£4250

PM or 07855585852

Thanks
Chris

Old 19 June 2010, 12:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the person you bought off Import it from Japan?
Old 19 June 2010, 03:58 PM
Ricerocket0_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess in the real world it should be worth what you suggest above. Sadly no one wants to pay much for them now! I give up trying to sell my 1998 V4 STI Type-R with less miles then yours, as I was only getting e-mail offers of £4000 - £4500! With that in mind your is worth about £2000 ??? Hence why so many people brake them.
Old 21 June 2010, 12:49 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

really that bad huh?

Yes imported new by 1st owner. He didnt do it himself, not sure which company imported it.

Its one hell of a car for 4k! Cant believe they arent being snapped up. Im 24 and insurance isnt that bad even with the mods. I guess its just too hard to find a nice one these days so noone bothers?

Anyone sold a stock STI recently? What prices did you fetch?
Old 21 June 2010, 12:53 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I dont know how helpful this will be but this company have similar cars for import, It might help gauge a price.
http://www.bonsaicars.com/Cars/model_index.php?mid=33
Old 21 June 2010, 01:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought .... when the Insurance Company say, "Any Mods?" .... how long does it take to reel off the list?

Having a Ninja Backbox on my old Classic meant the Insurance Companies willing to offer me cover halved ... those that would wanted an extra 15%! I can just imagine them having a coronary listing your 'extras'!

AND, it's an Import!

I think these cars are fantastic value now. The reason for that is no-one really wants them .... other than at rock bottom prices (the exception being the one owner standard UK cars) - when someone is buying a 12 year old car they want standard and they want few owners (for re-assurance).
Old 21 June 2010, 03:06 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

lol all done via email with my ins company.

they rock.

richard eggar it is by the way. i got a few cars so have them all insured on one policy. saves me a fortune.

few owners (tick), standard (can tick)

we shall see. so 4k ish is reasonable. Probably lowest i should expect as 3500/3750? Should it sell at 3500?

Checking auto trader n PH there are alot of cars priced quite high! especially ones that look like **** :S
Old 22 June 2010, 09:21 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 22 June 2010, 05:49 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

priced high on pistonheads doesn't mean they sold for anything like that.
Last time I sold a Scooby I think I took a 30% hit on the asking, albeit I knew that would be the case so priced it accordingly to what I wanted, give or take a bit.

There will be enthusiasts who will tell you it's worth that all day long, there will be haters that will say it's not worth **** all.
Truth is it is onyl worth what someone wants to pay. Obvious cliche but it's true.
Advertise it at whatever price you want, the offers will come which will give you an idea to its true value, then you have to decide to ahng on or release it.

Being brutally honest here, there is nothing majorly modded about your car except the facelift front end, which can be had for about £300 on ebay and the like.

Samco is a bit meh, so are the gauges (ie not defi), the wheels are generally run of the mill so as it is there won't be a lot of money to be had from returning it to standard and breaking.
You'll get £80 for the alk as long as you have the original, the brake discs are pretty standard items when the OEM go **** up so not a real head turner.

But saying that, there is a buyer for every car out there so hold tight and you'll get offers.

Just trying to make you realise that you're not that far from standard already
Old 23 June 2010, 09:50 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Id have to disagree.

The car is quite far from standard with alot of the basic components improved. This is whats required if you dont want a blown up banger!

The only way to take this car further would mean spending BIG money for new gearbox, forging, fuel system etc etc.

The car is as modified as it can be to a safe level.

However if you mean purley for a resale point of view... then yes the only items worth selling would be the Simtek, Zaust and BC (£2500 new, hopefully 1400 resale best case). Rest of the car would remain the same.

I Shall be rejigging and re-advertising hopefully on thursday. we shall see what happens then. Budgets are now revised.

Last edited by scoobyc; 23 June 2010 at 09:53 AM.