Sponsored by:

good buy or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2010, 11:15 AM
lsm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good buy or not ?

hi peeps, ive been away from the scooby scene for afew years and have been looking to buy a bugeye for last 3 weeks .... looked at loads from 3k to 5k and seen alot of crap and some nice ones. wanted a STi really but standard ones are still fetchin good money.... so thought i would get a cheaper wrx with the spare cash to mod it. So last week purchased a 2001 bugeye scooby, with 72k full subaru history with recent full service, full mot etc. WR Blue. owned by a guy in his early 50's.

The car has afew good mods on it, so it has a good base to build on.
Morette headlights, Sti8 Bonnet Scoop and undertray, Sti8 Boot Spoiler.
Ecutek remap at GGR, GGR 3" turbo back zorst with sports cat (milltek), induction kit, Walbro pump.
BC Racing Coilovers,Whiteline goodies, uprated discs with mintex racing pads allround.

Car just needs a clutch soon as its feeling tired ....

i paid 5k for it, was it a good buy?

Also i am looking at future mods like turbo etc and wanting around 300 plus bhp but must be a RELIABLE 300 .... so any ideas for future mods would be welcome,

Thanks
Old 13 June 2010, 03:42 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice would be:-

VF35 turbo
Sti 565cc Pink Injectors
Sti Intercooler
NGK PFR7B plugs
A decent Panel filter with airbox (Lose the induction kit - Not needed for 300bhp, unless you want it, but will be more responsive with standard airbox)

Then get rid of the Up-Pipe cat (If it still has one fitted), but this can be done when changing the turbo

Get it re-mapped and you`ll get 330bhp/325lbft no probs

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 13 June 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: missed somethin out
Old 13 June 2010, 04:46 PM
lsm
Scooby Regular

330 bhp sounds good to me .... do u know anywhere where i can get a VF35 from ? shud i buy new or secondhand ?
thanks for the advise
Old 13 June 2010, 05:17 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=lsm;9445895]330 bhp sounds good to me .... do u know anywhere where i can get a VF35 from ? shud i buy new or secondhand ?
thanks for the advise[/QUOTE

Be a bit careful with your torque aims or you may need to budget for a new gearbox also. Get an uprated clutch when you get your new one.

Sounds a reasonable buy but from the 'tone' of your posts I suspect you will soon regret not buying an STi IMHO

Last edited by dnc; 13 June 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 13 June 2010, 05:51 PM
lsm
Scooby Regular

yes its the same old story .... modded wrx vs sti .... by the time i have spend the money upgrading the wrx further i cud have brought a standard STi, but having said this, all the upgraded parts on the wrx will be more power than sti standard plus will handle better than one.... so its horses for courses really (except the weakness of the wrx gearbox).

thanks again for the input.