Sponsored by:

Hoping to join the AWD fun

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2010, 09:22 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping to join the AWD fun

This post was originally in another thread I started, bit got burried posts about the value or not of a new Subaru. I've reposted as I was looking for the opinions of others who have driven this car.

On Saturday I went for a a test drive in standard WRX.

Plastics, I was expecting it to be really bad, generally not as bad as I expected following comments on here. About the same as our 05 plate Ford Fiesta, ok not great but acceptable. Main thing is everything appears to be fastened together properly. We have two greyhounds so height of boot to roof distance may be an issue, the larger of our dogs has banged his back jumping into our current hatchback. I liked the fact that to put the back seats flat I didn’t need to lift the seat cushions first.

Seats and driving position are fine, gear change is a little sloppier than I am used to, sure I could get used to it. Hand brake position is good, but caught me out a couple of times during the test drive.

As for driving, well the rain was pouring and I was driving around typical Lincolnshire wolds bendy up and down roads, roads with poor surfaces, mud and grit etc. The car was running on Yokohama 205/50x17". The car suspension was compliant but the car stuck to the road even when going in to corners a bit fast, potholes and broken road surfaces simply got got absorbed, powering through corners is good fun, in a FWD car I would have been scrabbling for grip, not in this car. The car gave a comfortable ride, gripped the wet road but didn’t shake my teeth fillings out.

Didn't really push the brakes hard but they felt fine, steering is a little bit vague in the straight ahead position, but seems OK once I started turning.

Mrs was looking a little seasick in the back so I had a steady drive back to the dealership through town. Whilst I had been pushing on the salesman didn't flinch, he obviously knows the car can handle it.

Interesting to see how the WRX-S compares on 225/40x18" tyres, maybe the 205/50 are better on this type of road? Would it bang and crash a lot more on poor surfaces.

Drove about 20 miles, in ideal conditions to test the AWD performance.

Certainly a car I could easily live with.

On Monday I head out to try an STI
Old 31 May 2010, 06:20 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

I didn't got to test drive the STI today, decided that either the WRX or WRXS is the Impreza for us, justifying the extra 6k would be difficult. TBH doubt I would ever get to use the full performance of the STI, could not afford to use a brand new STI on trackdays.

The only slight sticking point may be getting the dogs in. The Impreza seems to have an incredibly low roof in the back. Don't carry the dogs often, but I do need to be able to get them in the car.

Still not given up, Mrs suggested I take the dogs and a very large sheet of plastic to the dealers and see if they will let me try the dogs for size
Old 31 May 2010, 07:42 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

To get a sale, they'll probably kiss the dogs whilst you are driving mate. Ring and ask first though!
Old 31 May 2010, 10:05 PM
WRX-John
Scooby Regular

Just buy it mate, I've had mine for 2 weeks now and Ill pre warn you it's a bad bug to catch I've already been caught off the wife looking at STI's lol
Old 06 June 2010, 05:40 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Default Night and Day

Slight reversal of my plans

After being indecisive about WRX, WRX-S & STI hatch today I was close to a dealer with an STI demonstrator so I popped in, a few people on here have said I should try the STI before settling on the car I finally buy.

Well I was fairly close to a Subaru dealer who I had previously spoken to and knew the had an STI demo car. My intention was only to pop in for a look.

Had a look around the car, before I knew it of course I was heading out for a test drive.

Car is a std WRX STI UK, running on 17” wheels shod with Dunlop tyres. Missed the heavy rain, took the car out in overcast but dry conditions, didn’t really know the roads in the local area but the car felt far more together than the WRX that I drove last weekend in the wet. Gear change was far better on the STI, also I though the clutch biting point was more to my liking on the on the STI, as for on road grip, the car ran as if on rails, steering seemed more precise than the WRX, the WRX steering was dead in the straight ahead position, on STI I didn’t get this sensation. Pushing the car into tight corners and nailing out of the corner the car just accelerated. In gear acceleration was astounding.

Is an STI worth the premium over the WRX, yes.

Just arrived home with flowers for the Mrs, she knows I am going to ask for £25k to buy a car, maybe I should have got chocolates as well!

D