Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 01:56 AM
Nowa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tinting

Hi all,

so I'm thinking of tinting my rear windows (3) on my 05 Saloon WRX and I'm wondering how hard it is to actually DIY? The rear side windows r frame less, so the should be fairly easy, or am I missing something? The back rear window could b a bit tricky. Does anyone have any experience in dong this themselves? Is it difficult to just get a film on a roll and DIY? Any particular tools needed?

I've seen that you can buy the film already "pre-cut" but I'm wondering how precise that is? Does that mean that you will definitely not need to re-cut anything? Please anyone who have tried this your self, share your experience, also, just in case, can anyone recommend any service for tinting windows around the Farnborough area in Hampshire. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Nowa; 24 May 2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:40 AM
shaunyboyuk
Scooby Regular

i wouldent bother, its easyer with glass out but not worth the hassle mate. you could get bubbles etc. I need mine all re-doing cause of a smashed window & definatly wont be doing it my self. As for pre cut id imagine there cut all most to size and you have to do final trimming on it.
Old 24 May 2010, 08:43 AM
Impreza100
Scooby Regular

I tried doing it myself once and it was the most stressfull thing i have ever done. Id pay for it to be done in an instant, but you could see how you get on... Let us know though lol
Old 24 May 2010, 11:41 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

i found it quite easy to do. Give your windows a good clean but dont use any chemicals. Put a splash of vinegar in a bucket of warm water. Use a leather shammy to clean the windows then use another leather shammy to dry them. Finnally go over them with some newspaper to make sure they are spotless.

Offer the film up on the outside of the window (its easier) with the actual film towards the car.

Roughly cut the film to the right size and shape, I added about half inch all the way around to allow me to move it.

next have a spray bottle full of water. Saturate the window then place the film on the window (after removing the clear bit on the sticky side of the film).
Move the film to place using the palm of your hands.
Once its in place trim the edges down with a sharpe knife. then squeeze out any bubbles using a dry soft cloth push the bubble(s) towards the nearest edge.

once you have all or most of the bubbles out leave it for a few hrs to dry out. Inspect it for more bubbles if there is any try pushing them out. if they wont budge use a pin to burst it then squeeze the air out.

As the film is pretty cheap these days I would say have a go on one of the rear doors.
If it turns out well try the other side. then try the back.

If it turns out crap try the other side any way (you will get better with practice)

A good tip for removing the clear film that cover the glue is to use cellotape on each side.

Also when applying the film dont just remove the whole of the clear stuff. Start in a corner and peel a couple of inches off then apply it to the window and peel the clear stuff of as you attatch it to the window.

Hope that makes sense?
Old 24 May 2010, 12:03 PM
whitepilgrim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
i found it quite easy to do. Give your windows a good clean but dont use any chemicals. Put a splash of vinegar in a bucket of warm water. Use a leather shammy to clean the windows then use another leather shammy to dry them. Finnally go over them with some newspaper to make sure they are spotless.

Offer the film up on the outside of the window (its easier) with the actual film towards the car.

Roughly cut the film to the right size and shape, I added about half inch all the way around to allow me to move it.

next have a spray bottle full of water. Saturate the window then place the film on the window (after removing the clear bit on the sticky side of the film).
Move the film to place using the palm of your hands.
Once its in place trim the edges down with a sharpe knife. then squeeze out any bubbles using a dry soft cloth push the bubble(s) towards the nearest edge.

once you have all or most of the bubbles out leave it for a few hrs to dry out. Inspect it for more bubbles if there is any try pushing them out. if they wont budge use a pin to burst it then squeeze the air out.

As the film is pretty cheap these days I would say have a go on one of the rear doors.
If it turns out well try the other side. then try the back.

If it turns out crap try the other side any way (you will get better with practice)

A good tip for removing the clear film that cover the glue is to use cellotape on each side.

Also when applying the film dont just remove the whole of the clear stuff. Start in a corner and peel a couple of inches off then apply it to the window and peel the clear stuff of as you attatch it to the window.

Hope that makes sense?

Yep what he said

Would add dont do it outside if theres a breeze as any air bourn particles will stick to the film.
Also what they dont always tell you that the film can take several weeks to dry out fully.
Old 25 May 2010, 02:00 AM
Nowa
Scooby Newbie

Many many thanks for the reply, especially to Smurf2k for the clear and good instructions! I will give this a go myself as it's just like you said, the film isn't too expensive, so why not have a go.
Old 25 May 2010, 02:04 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I was quoted £130 for the rear 3 windows. Not worth the hassle of doing yourself at that price
Old 25 May 2010, 05:48 PM
mirrors01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
I was quoted £130 for the rear 3 windows. Not worth the hassle of doing yourself at that price
i agree sod doing it yourself chamelion in mk will do it perfectley for u ,
Old 25 May 2010, 05:58 PM
sookx1
Scooby Regular

the side windowsa are easy to do, the tricky one is the rear window as its more curved. the best way is to cut it to size while placing it on the outside of the glass, remove the clear film then heat gun it to shink wrap it to contour of the window. be carful though as u only need to heat it for very short bursts. then just spray it all over with water, then roll it up into a tube and unroll onto inside of window. and scrape out bubbles. gives perfect results. thats how i do mine.
Old 27 May 2010, 02:16 AM
Nowa
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again all for the replies and suggestions, the rolling onto a tube sounds like a good idea, but I'm now starting to think that it may be a bit too difficult for me... Still I'll give it a go. The film is ordered.

The cheapest quote I have had was £180 for 3 windows around the Farnborough area. Has someone found it cheaper and where?